• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

When do you think the S650 will be revealed?

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Yeah they really got to be careful here. One thing I love about the Mustang is that it’s truly attainable with some work. That’s still the case but I really don’t want to get into the 40s for a base GT.

Ferraris are nice but what good is it if I can only hoon it on my Xbox?
In todays world the average car costs $37k so a 450hp Mustang is still a great deal. You can bet a base S650 GT will be over $40k as a 22’ is $38,940.
Sponsored

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Getting back in track to when the car will be revealed. This may be a bold prediction, but I think we'll see the car sometime before 2050 lol.

airjonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Ecoboost
In todays world the average car costs $37k so a 450hp Mustang is still a great deal. You can bet a base S650 GT will be over $40k as a 22’ is $38,940.
Damn you’re right. My hope is after this chip shortage is done, it’ll stop this crazy era of ADM and dealers acting like they’re doing everyone a favor for charging MSRP. Pre pandemic, it wasn’t unheard of to get in a GT around 33k pre tax.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.LEDandSafety.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
$39,995.

Chomperr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang
Yeah they really got to be careful here. One thing I love about the Mustang is that it’s truly attainable with some work. That’s still the case but I really don’t want to get into the 40s for a base GT.

IMO CarPlay/Android Auto (Sync3) with 8 inch screen should be standard. Base model Hyundais have those features without having to add it as an option. Digital dash is also now standard on a lot of foreign ecos.

If those options become standard equipment in the S650 then I full expect a base GT to go for over $40k unfortunately.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
At launch, the S550 was well under $50k, if I recall you did not eclipse $50k except with the 50th LE and the GT350. Base GT was low $30k and premium was high $30k, fully loaded around $46-47k if I recall correctly... Obviously price increases have pushed it there, but sales have precipitously dropped off as well (not just due to price, of course...)
I paid under $33K for my base GT in 2014 and when I bought my GT350 in 2015 sticker was less than $60k. IMO $60k is too much for a Mustang unless it's a really special car.

Yes I agree. Mustangs are attainable, but are they worth the high current price tag? The ~$10K increase in less than 10 years is too much. I'd rather add a few mods to my 2017 that I paid $26k for.

The value proposition to go to a new car just isn't there. Ford has to really wow me if they want me to pay that much for a new Mustang.

airjonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Ecoboost
I paid under $33K for my base GT in 2014 and when I bought my GT350 in 2015 sticker was less than $60k. IMO $60k is too much for a Mustang unless it's a really special car.

Yes I agree. Mustangs are attainable, but are they worth the high current price tag? The ~$10K increase in less than 10 years is too much. I'd rather add a few mods to my 2017 that I paid $26k for.

The value proposition to go to a new car just isn't there. Ford has to really wow me if they want me to pay that much for a new Mustang.

100% this. GTs with PPs were going for low to mid 30s in my area pre pandemic and would’ve pull the trigger if I wasn’t home shopping. I got my Eco 24k new, and a search on cars.com has rental specs going in the high 20s low 30s . When things finally normalize, I hope I’m not priced out of the market of a GT.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app

I do have to admit that I am benefitting from the recent uptick in value especially for used cars. Someone rear-ended my 50th APP convertible, causing over $17k in damage. Because the used car market is so hot, it is fixable instead of a total. Thankfully the damage is not to the frame, which would have made me nervous to repair, but in body panels and paint. But I agree, a Mustang is intended to be an approachable powerful car for the masses, not a luxury item. It is cool to see the GT500 posting track times that compete with the giants, but a GT standard edition should be available to the average middle class buyer. I would expect pricing pressure to start hitting as interest rates skyrocket.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer

Agreed, ford either needs to take the mustang to the next level in terms of design/performance/tech to justify the existing price point. Or find a way to offer a car comparable to the s550 for a more reasonable price, perhaps by sharing a platform with other products. I'm kinda stunned ford canceled the cd6 mustang, seems really wasteful to develop a complex architecture where one of the biggest selling points is how adaptable it is, and then only use it for two crossovers. Ford is utilizing the c2 platform left and right. By comparison, it kinda seems like cd6 was a platform with immense potential that got thrown under the bus. Time will tell if Ford decides to use it for anything else. Heard they may use it to bring the ranchero name back, but that's just a rumor with little substance. Also heard a rwd sedan and Lincoln coupe were at one point considered to further optimize the cd6 platform, but were also canceled.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Agreed, ford either needs to take the mustang to the next level in terms of design/performance/tech to justify the existing price point. Or find a way to offer a car comparable to the s550 for a more reasonable price, perhaps by sharing a platform with other products. I'm kinda stunned ford canceled the cd6 mustang, seems really wasteful to develop a complex architecture where one of the biggest selling points is how adaptable it is, and then only use it for two crossovers. Ford is utilizing the c2 platform left and right. By comparison, it kinda seems like cd6 was a platform with immense potential that got thrown under the bus. Time will tell if Ford decides to use it for anything else. Heard they may use it to bring the ranchero name back, but that's just a rumor with little substance. Also heard a rwd sedan and Lincoln coupe were at one point considered to further optimize the cd6 platform, but were also canceled.
I guess we will never know what would have been, but I'm really glad the Mustang is on the current car platform and not an SUV platform. IMO Mustang is already too large and high off the ground. I would be surprised if the CD6 version would have been smaller and lighter with better fuel economy and performance. Probably it would have been porkier and more complex. Maybe that's why it was scrapped. They realized they were going to spend a lot of money and the car wouldn't be improved.

Murfstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Explorer ST, 2021 VW GTI
I guess we will never know what would have been, but I'm really glad the Mustang is on the current car platform and not an SUV platform. IMO Mustang is already too large and high off the ground. I would be surprised if the CD6 version would have been smaller and lighter with better fuel economy and performance. Probably it would have been porkier and more complex. Maybe that's why it was scrapped. They realized they were going to spend a lot of money and the car wouldn't be improved.
I still don’t understand why people think that just because it was supposed to use the same platform as an SUV it would have been bigger and higher off the ground. It’s simply not accurate. Just for example take a look at the VW MQB platform, used for the Atlas 3 row mid-size SUV along with the GTI, Golf R, Audi TT and RS3 just to name a few. I wouldn’t say any of those cars are big, bulky, and high off the ground.

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
I think quite the opposite would've been the case. New platform would allow the usage of lighter materials (aluminium frame and such) and would've also allowed for structural improvements. Hybrid and AWD would've been easily implemented. Just because CD6 is so far only used by suv's doesn't mean it couldn't host a proper GT.

However, I think when Hackett took over, a new Mustang was thrown under the bus along with the entire CD6 platform. God knows why and @amk91 has given us some useful insights in what might has happened but at this point I don't see any future usage of the CD6 platform. It is already a couple of years old and I doubt Ford would use it to develop something that will hit the markets in 2025 or beyond that.
Sponsored