• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Do you think there will be a GT350 or GT500 in first year of the New S650 2022/2023 ? ? ? ?

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500, 2021 Bronco
I would like to see Ford use a NA 5.2L crossplane crank for the GT350 and the same supercharged 5.2L for the GT500. Both offered with DCT and manual this time as a proper ICE sendoff.
Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I would like to see Ford use a NA 5.2L crossplane crank for the GT350 and the same supercharged 5.2L for the GT500. Both offered with DCT and manual this time as a proper ICE sendoff.

The 5.2 cpc was what I really wanted for the Mach 1............but as we didn't get it then, I'm not holding my breath to see that in S650 :(

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I think they will announce the upcoming halo model sometime in the next 6 months and then release it late next year or early the year after. I really wish the 5.2 would have never happened in a way. Yes both the Voodoo and Predator are great engines, but adding 4% to the engine displacement is such a stupid marketing ploy.

The halo models should have a significant bump in displacement - minimum 25%. 4% is worse than nothing. Spend all that money to make unique parts but yet tying your hands making it very difficult to increase power while keeping the engine reliable. A properly built Coyote could easily duplicate the power production of either the Predator or the Voodoo. A halo engine should be head and shoulders above the standard stuff.

Murfstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Explorer ST, 2021 VW GTI
I think they will announce the upcoming halo model sometime in the next 6 months and then release it late next year or early the year after. I really wish the 5.2 would have never happened in a way. Yes both the Voodoo and Predator are great engines, but adding 4% to the engine displacement is such a stupid marketing ploy.

The halo models should have a significant bump in displacement - minimum 25%. 4% is worse than nothing. Spend all that money to make unique parts but yet tying your hands making it very difficult to increase power while keeping the engine reliable. A properly built Coyote could easily duplicate the power production of either the Predator or the Voodoo. A halo engine should be head and shoulders above the standard stuff.
A la 7.3L

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Yesā€¦ the GT350 will be 1st for Motorsport reasons.

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
A la 7.3L
I like the idea of increasing displacement, but I'm worried about whether a pushrod engine will make enough power to be an improvement to the 5.0. Consider that Chevy's LS 7 - 7 liter sports car pushrod engine only made 505 HP. The Coyote is not far below that. And the LS7 had all kinds of problems with the valves IIRC. So they were pushing against some reliability limitations there.

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
I like the idea of increasing displacement, but I'm worried about whether a pushrod engine will make enough power to be an improvement to the 5.0. Consider that Chevy's LS 7 - 7 liter sports car pushrod engine only made 505 HP. The Coyote is not far below that. And the LS7 had all kinds of problems with the valves IIRC. So they were pushing against some reliability limitations there.

Well, hereā€™s the answer: the 7.3 delivers a healthy ~600hp and could potentially be used in a GT350. The Voodoo is gone and I would prefer a high revving flat plane V8 over a bigger cross plane V8 but it looks like this 7.3L crate engine is destined to go into the GT350ā€¦

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS

Well, hereā€™s the answer: the 7.3 delivers a healthy ~600hp and could potentially be used in a GT350. The Voodoo is gone and I would prefer a high revving flat plane V8 over a bigger cross plane V8 but it looks like this 7.3L crate engine is destined to go into the GT350ā€¦
Sorry, just cannot see this. A total step backwards. There is no replacement for the Voodoo. Who would shell out for a GT350 with an inferior engine?

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Ford will take another swing at a Flat Plane Crank V8 but it might not be a 5.2ā€¦

ā€¦maybe a 289.

Some of you remember the 2015 GT350ā€™s first performance in Grand Am/IMSA when Billy lapped the pack and waved effortlessly out the window. Why? Why couldnā€™t the LS.7R keep up with a 5.2? Why couldnā€™t the M3 do anything?

The Flat Plane Crank itself has a mechanical advantage that eliminates the amount of shifting the driver needs to do during the race. This simple advantage in the class was taking driver error out of the equation by reducing the amount of shifting a driver needed to perform each lap.

The FPC could simply stay in gear and utilize its power band longer than its competition. The fast revs also made it easier on the brakes in general because it is slightly more responsive to engine braking.

With a front engine, rear drive 4-seater on a 107ā€ wheelbase? Ford will require that advantage in GT3ā€¦

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Yes both the Voodoo and Predator are great engines, but adding 4% to the engine displacement is such a stupid marketing ploy.

If an Aluminator equivalent 5.2L cpc could put out a NA 580 hp, that 4% displacement is of no concern if you are adding 30% more hp over the Coyote in the Mach 1, no?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

Looks great! I'd love to see an engine like that in a Mustang. Hopefully that power production is with an emissions legal camshaft and hopefully those headers would fit into the Mustang.

Sorry, just cannot see this. A total step backwards. There is no replacement for the Voodoo. Who would shell out for a GT350 with an inferior engine?
I agree it's no Voodoo, but if it was an aluminum block it would be a decent straight line vehicle at minimum. I'd be interested to know how much it weighs if they made one with the aluminum block. With ICE engines the increase in displacement and weight are not 1:1. You can get a large increase in displacement without much of a size increase.

If the weight is reasonable I might be a buyer. Depends on the package and total price. I sold my GT350 because I didn't want to have to replace a Voodoo. Mine seemed bulletproof, but I know a local guy who had not one but two engines replaced. So there were definitely some issues there. I decided I didn't want to own one out of warranty. It seems to me that if Ford would just increase displacement, they could make the power without having reliability concerns.

If an Aluminator equivalent 5.2L cpc could put out a NA 580 hp, that 4% displacement is of no concern if you are adding 30% more hp over the Coyote in the Mach 1, no?
The problem is that the aluminator is not emissions legal. So the 580 vs. 526 HP is the difference in power between something you can build if you had no limitations vs. what the factory is allowed to put in a car they offer for sale for street use.

And really the power wasn't the point I was making. I was saying that a halo engine should be significantly better than the standard engine. And 4% is not much of a halo. My assumption is you could make that 580 (or at least within 4% of it) with a built, naturally aspirated Coyote.

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Looks great! I'd love to see an engine like that in a Mustang. Hopefully that power production is with an emissions legal camshaft and hopefully those headers would fit into the Mustang.

I agree it's no Voodoo, but if it was an aluminum block it would be a decent straight line vehicle at minimum. I'd be interested to know how much it weighs if they made one with the aluminum block. With ICE engines the increase in displacement and weight are not 1:1. You can get a large increase in displacement without much of a size increase.

If the weight is reasonable I might be a buyer. Depends on the package and total price. I sold my GT350 because I didn't want to have to replace a Voodoo. Mine seemed bulletproof, but I know a local guy who had not one but two engines replaced. So there were definitely some issues there. I decided I didn't want to own one out of warranty. It seems to me that if Ford would just increase displacement, they could make the power without having reliability concerns.

The problem is that the aluminator is not emissions legal. So the 580 vs. 526 HP is the difference in power between something you can build if you had no limitations vs. what the factory is allowed to put in a car they offer for sale for street use.

And really the power wasn't the point I was making. I was saying that a halo engine should be significantly better than the standard engine. And 4% is not much of a halo. My assumption is you could make that 580 (or at least within 4% of it) with a built, naturally aspirated Coyote.
Sadly, power will likely drop to 540-550hp with cats and shorties.

What's max redline achieved on the 7.3 to date?

anacar312

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HEP R Chassis LR268
My wild guess would be a return of the Boss. Early in the S650 lifecycle with a road capable Boss 302(ish) hopefully with side exit exhaust.

Then later as the finale for the S650ā€¦ 7.3 in a Boss 429(ish)

I believe we have seen the last of the ICE Shelby variants.

Againā€¦ just my wild guess.
Sponsored