• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

I dont think there will be a GT350...

agreywolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grabber Blue Mustang GT premium w/PP
now that ive got your attention let me expand on that title: "i dont think there will be a GT350 in the way everyone thinks there will be"

before i continue let me make it clear. I do not work for Ford. i do not have a relationship with Ford in any form outside of owning a car, and im not involved in the auto industry in any meaningful way. this is all baseless ramblings from someone whos bored on a Friday afternoon.

so what do i mean. well when you look at the Ford lineup for the S650 it becomes very clear that any legitimate room the GT350 had for existing has been taken here. the Dark Horse has replaced it as a 500HP V8 focused on handling performance, the Dark Horse S has replaced the 350R for those that wanted a track focus car, and the Dark Horse GT4 has replaced it as Fords race car of choice. So all that really leaves left for the GT350 is to sit on the Shelby name until the S650 GT500, right?

maybe not.

Lets take a look at the Mustangs targeted rival as stated by Bill Ford JR: The Corvette

looking at the lineups we can see that the mustang meets the corvette in most categories, just cheaper

Corvette stingray VS Mustang GT
Corvette Z06 and its GT3 counterpart vs Mustang DH and its GT3 and 4 counterparts
Corvette ZR1 vs GT500
??? vs GT350

looking at it its clear that Ford has targeted the tiers that the Corvette occupies, just at a lower price bracket. but with so few trims what does that leave the GT350 to compete with?

well for those of you with the rare skill of possessing eyes youll notice the ???. That would be the newest entry to the Corvette lineup: The E-Ray
its an AWD hybrid V8 targeting 650+HP and is laying down some pretty decent numbers.

If Ford is serious about competing with the 'vette in this field then they obviously need to have an answer for the E-ray, the GT350 not having any reason to exist right now seems like a perfect setup for it.

"okay cool, theres a hybrid corvette. but what makes you think Ford would consider making a hybrid GT350"

well when you look at Fords history you see a long trend of them taking tech from the track to the road, and from the road to the track. The GT350 GT4 used the 5.2 from the GT350, the TTV6 in the Ford GT started its life as this Daytona Prototype. the 2024 GT3 car uses the Coyote engine block, the F150 Raptor uses race suspension from FOX. Ford loves doing these things with their special cars.

and for anyone paying attention to Motorsports out there you would've seen this article from Ford in which they decide to join a small upcoming racing team known as Oracle Redbull F1. To be more specific, they are working with the team to develop the next generations F1 cars Hybrid power system.

so youve got a GT350 which has no set place in the Mustang lineup right now, and new developing technologies being run at the pinnacle of motorsports. to me all signs point to Lauderdale the GT350 being Fords foray into the Hybrid V8 market to compete with the E-Ray.

but again, im not in any way shape or form a professional, im just making baseless accusations because im bored on a Friday afternoon...

thanks for coming to my Ted Talk please forward all complaints to [email protected]
Sponsored

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Would the gt (non mustang) fill that role? Is it possible Dark Horse is Ford stepping away from Shelby?

OP
OP
agreywolfe

agreywolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i dont think the GT could fill this kind of role, the GTs whole shtick is "affordable power for the masses" the costs of hybrid systems would kind of drive it out of that market, i personally dont see them getting away from Shelby, i think the DH was more them wanting to solidify the role of Ford Performance and Multimatic as the defacto Ford Race program, Shelby has brand identity with the likes of the GT500 so them using the Shelby name to push a new "scary" technology makes the most sense here, to me at least

Revan9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
GTE50?

I wouldn't say there's no room for the GT350 in the current lineup, according to Savagegeese the DH isn't as hardcore as the GT350/R. The GT3 is really what will take its spot and I imagine they could still call that a GT350. Anyway, I don't think they'd call the first Hybrid Mustang a GT350, it would likely be quicker than a GT500, maybe heavier as well and use an auto transmission.

Maybe Mustang Spark Horse

OP
OP
agreywolfe

agreywolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it may not be as hardcore as the 350 but its certainly crowding out anything the 350 had going for it and im not sure Ford wants to compete with themselves in this segment, and if the rumors are to be belived about a potential 2025/26 GT500 that doesnt leave long for the GT350 to even be relevant without setting itself apart in a major way that Ford could justify its production.

Revan9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
it may not be as hardcore as the 350 but its certainly crowding out anything the 350 had going for it and im not sure Ford wants to compete with themselves in this segment, and if the rumors are to be belived about a potential 2025/26 GT500 that doesnt leave long for the GT350 to even be relevant without setting itself apart in a major way that Ford could justify its production.

In that case we likely just won't have one. Maybe a heritage package for the GT3 car with stripes and snakes on it.

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 HP Prior: 20 SS 1LE, 17 GT350
so youve got a GT350 which has no set place in the Mustang lineup right now, and new developing technologies being run at the pinnacle of motorsports. to me all signs point to Lauderdale the GT350 being Fords foray into the Hybrid V8 market to compete with the E-Ray.
Key point highlighted. You're assuming the dark horse sticks around for a while. I do not think it will be more than a 2, MAYBE 3 year run. At that point, it would make sense to introduce something in the "GT350 spot", that would be a nudge over the DH. There will be a shelby car early....but it'll be a GT500 type, +100K base.

It makes plenty of sense to expect a different performance variant in MY 26-27. A return of the Boss, or a Cobra would seem more plausible than a GT350. Plus Ford has for sure punted on a FPC, which is 92% of the GT350 magic over a similarly specd coyote car.

OP
OP
agreywolfe

agreywolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
that is also a possibility yeah, but i do think well see a hybrid V8 at some point this generation, Fords mustang team definitely wants to ride that V8 train as long as they can.

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTE50?

I wouldn't say there's no room for the GT350 in the current lineup, according to Savagegeese the DH isn't as hardcore as the GT350/R.

Maybe Mustang Spark Horse
For those too lazy to search, can you paraphrase what was said about that? Or was it a one-liner comment?

Also, Spark Horse got an audible chuckle. Good job.

Edit: Nvm I found it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
agreywolfe

agreywolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Key point highlighted. You're assuming the dark horse sticks around for a while. I do not think it will be more than a 2, MAYBE 3 year run. At that point, it would make sense to introduce something in the "GT350 spot", that would be a nudge over the DH. There will be a shelby car early....but it'll be a GT500 type, +100K base.

It makes plenty of sense to expect a different performance variant in MY 26-27. A return of the Boss, or a Cobra would seem more plausible than a GT350. Plus Ford has for sure punted on a FPC, which is 92% of the GT350 magic over a similarly specd coyote car.
i could see that happening but i dont think it will as Ford has really rallied behind the identity of the Dark Horse as a car, at most i could see a DH refresh but i doubt Ford will spend more money on re-engineering a new spec race car and a new GT4 car for a "boss" or a "350" variant.

OP
OP
agreywolfe

agreywolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
and i dont see them bailing on these racing series after only a couple years too

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i could see that happening but i dont think it will as Ford has really rallied behind the identity of the Dark Horse as a car, at most i could see a DH refresh but i doubt Ford will spend more money on re-engineering a new spec race car and a new GT4 car for a "boss" or a "350" variant.
Valid point. They DO make it a point to constantly ooze over the fox body gauge option. So maybe that's a precursor? Same as you, just completely a friday afternoon, from left field comment.

OP
OP
agreywolfe

agreywolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
hopefully that "focus group" that told them to put a fox body gauge in it also told them to put more gauges in as well

Jrws1014

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost Premium Convertible
I am hopeful that they do NOT come out with a GT500 until 2030. If it is truly the end of the ICE, let that be the 65 year anniversary “out-with-a-bang” special! I already told my wife if they do something special for the 2030, I’m getting it and going BIG so start processing all that now cause it’s gonna happen lol. I’ll drop 100k on that all day!
Sponsored