• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Will there be a S650 PP2?

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer ST, 2001 Avalon
In 2018, when the Performance Pack 2 came out that was essentially a PP1 with 305 tires square, it made me think that's how the PP1 should've come. The fact that the "performance pack" only comes with 255 front tires on a nearly 3900 lb car is a joke.

I've seen that the S650 GT performance pack will come with the same hand-me-down 255/275 tire setup with no mention of a PP2 offer.

Perhaps Ford does this to further incentivize the Dark Horse (that if you want all the track goodies, you should buy the DH) but I thought either giving the regular PP 305 tires or making another PP2 would be a good middle ground. Ford already has the wheel/tire package to do so; wouldn't cost them anything more.

I guess all I'm getting at is that I think you should be able to buy a regular ol' GT with maximum tire underneath it.
Sponsored

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 HP Prior: 20 SS 1LE, 17 GT350
Dark Horse base still carries the 255/275 setup, which is to your point, a joke as well. We have to jump to a 65-75K mustang spec, to get a decently sized tire. Just typing that makes me want to junk-punch someone.

Ford needs to do like chevy (OMG WUT). You can option a camaro with a tremec and 305/315 supercar 3R tires. How can chevy out-option Ford?

In 2018, when the Performance Pack 2 came out that was essentially a PP1 with 305 tires square, it made me think that's how the PP1 should've come. The fact that the "performance pack" only comes with 255 front tires on a nearly 3900 lb car is a joke.

I've seen that the S650 GT performance pack will come with the same hand-me-down 255/275 tire setup with no mention of a PP2 offer.

Perhaps Ford does this to further incentivize the Dark Horse (that if you want all the track goodies, you should buy the DH) but I thought either giving the regular PP 305 tires or making another PP2 would be a good middle ground. Ford already has the wheel/tire package to do so; wouldn't cost them anything more.

I guess all I'm getting at is that I think you should be able to buy a regular ol' GT with maximum tire underneath it.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
This is the game that Ford plays all the time, every time.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
This is the game that Ford plays all the time, every time.
The game is called lose-lose. No matter what Ford does someone would get on here and bitch about it. The wheels are the wrong color, or they are too heavy, etc, and/or the tires (unless they were PS4S). Even then someone would complain. Then there is the additional cost and the change needed for the suspension and resulting ride quality. More bitching as Ford would be charging too much and that you could do it cheaper using the aftermarket. By the way all of these complaints were made for the PP2 for those of you with short memories.

They're a reason the Mustang is the #1 most modded car in the world. If there is something you do not like, change it.

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Respectfully, disagree. On the tires aspect only though. I'm with you on 95% of the other complaints. The GT PP and the dark horse base are too much a car, too expensive of a car, to sit on 255/275. Same for M1 base. I don't think anyone would complain if Ford 295/305, or 305/315 on those trims.

The game is called lose-lose. No matter what Ford does someone would get on here and bitch about it. The wheels are the wrong color, or they are too heavy, etc, and/or the tires (unless they were PS4S). Even then someone would complain. Then there is the additional cost and the change needed for the suspension and resulting ride quality. More bitching as Ford would be charging too much and that you could do it cheaper using the aftermarket. By the way all of these complaints were made for the PP2 for those of you with short memories.

They're a reason the Mustang is the #1 most modded car in the world. If there is something you do not like, change it.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Respectfully, disagree. On the tires aspect only though. I'm with you on 95% of the other complaints. The GT PP and the dark horse base are too much a car, too expensive of a car, to sit on 255/275. Same for M1 base. I don't think anyone would complain if Ford 295/305, or 305/315 on those trims.
Considering the base tires are 235/50 -R18 I hear you. But larger tires means all the other changes are needed so you are right back to square 1. Besides if Ford did everything we wanted there would be no aftermarket. Gotta keep those small businesses going.

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Though I agree with modifying to your own taste, if Ford were to follow this logic, they'd only sell base model GT's and that's it.

You want wider tires? Do it yourself.
You want a 700hp Mustang? Do it yourself.
You want a convertible? F*** you, cut your own damn roof off. (I'm imagining this being said in Samuel L. Jackson's voice.)

TheCur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wild Cherry Tintcoat ZL1 M6
At least they didn't "Dodge" it up, and put the GT500 on 275's all around.

Looking at you narrow body Hellcat.

Talk about full retard.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 Stingray
The PP2 was replaced by the Mach 1. The DH is the successor of the Mach 1. So I doubt there will be a PP2. If you want the most track ready Coyote Mustang, buy the DH with Handling Package

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Agreed. The PP2 was criticised because it didn't have coolers, so overheated after just a few track laps.

Ford added coolers, a bit more power and revised transmissions and called it Mach 1. Now they call it Dark Horse.

If you don't want to pay for a track-ready Mustang, but think the stock PP wheels are too narrow, just upgrade them yourself :)

5.0S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Considering the base tires are 235/50 -R18 I hear you. But larger tires means all the other changes are needed so you are right back to square 1.
Supposedly according to the tech sheet they put out the base tire is going up to 255/45 18. Kind of something but odd choice on the higher trims.

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm a nerd, I like numbers and data so here's a fun list of cars and their respective tire, weight, hp, and ratios. It's sorted by tire to weight ratio. You can see just how little tire the Mustang GT gets (and that a stock BRZ has a better tire to weight ratio than a GT500.)

S650 Mustang Will there be a S650 PP2? 1671570000757

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I forgottttt about that. Those could be had for a heck of a deal right when the wide body came out.

At least they didn't "Dodge" it up, and put the GT500 on 275's all around.

Looking at you narrow body Hellcat.

Talk about full retard.