• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
One thing I don't think that's been mentioned...................how the heck did the photographer manage to get these shots? These look to have been taken at the small test track in Dearborn. This is surrounded by a 10 foot high wall and I suspect the only way in is via a security gate.

I honestly expected the first spy shot to be on the roads around the Development Centre, where most of the cars are spotted, NOT at the track.

It's not the first time though, as the '15 was captured at the same place with a lot of a front camo missing and, as I understand it Ford were not happy!

So, were Ford ready for S650 to finally make an appearance and invite the photographer in? Or did the photographer really manage to sneak in?

The '15 &'24 for reference:
2015 spyshot.jpg

S650 Prototype 16.jpg
I asked myself the same yesterday and came to the conclusion that these aren’t “spy shots” but rather shots taken from Ford in order to start the marketing campaign.

It doesn’t really matte whether they were taken by a third party, a Ford employee or god knows who but I’m pretty sure these shots were taken with Fords permission.

Could be the test rack Dearborn or any other track. German manufacturers do it all the time.
Sponsored

Shelbeast

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500 and MME-GT
In all seriousness though I'm liking the looks of this. However, I'll also say that i feel we're also being misled on a bunch of the key panels because I seriously doubt there's that inverted V for the hood like we're seeing on this. Keep in mind they throw fake panels on things to throw us off y'all. Also #NotTheRealHeadlights #NotTheRealTaillights
I’m guessing if there’s an electric variant, they will definitely do lines to compliment it.

DarthMalice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1; AT; M0960
On first look I thought they were moving away from the fastback at least as steep in the S550 but now that I see comparisons to the S550 mules, I am not so sure. I am glad they are staying close to the S550 as I think it was a great design. I just hope the Mach E grill doesn't come over.

Terlingua

Threads
Reaction score
One thing I don't think that's been mentioned...................how the heck did the photographer manage to get these shots? These look to have been taken at the small test track in Dearborn. This is surrounded by a 10 foot high wall and I suspect the only way in is via a security gate.

I honestly expected the first spy shot to be on the roads around the Development Centre, where most of the cars are spotted, NOT at the track.

It's not the first time though, as the '15 was captured at the same place with a lot of a front camo missing and, as I understand it Ford were not happy!

So, were Ford ready for S650 to finally make an appearance and invite the photographer in? Or did the photographer really manage to sneak in?

2015 spyshot.jpg

S650 Prototype 16.jpg
Compared to to 2014, the s650 looks to have:
- A higher front fender above tire
- A higher beltline
- A lower rear tail

The 2014 s550 looked to have more rake and lower proportions in front - more like a wide, low 2-door sports car, where the s650 looks more like a slightly taller 2-door sedan. Everyone seems too focused on the front grill.

GT Premi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 GT500 '17 GT350R '20 X5 M50i
It’s difficult to tell by the photos, but the steering wheel still appears to be too big in diameter.

I hope that’s not the case. In my opinion, Mustangs have always had steering wheels that are far too big.
The Fox body and SN95 had a decently sized steering wheel.

looks like they now have hood vents upfront and the whole hood is now raised in the middle section (like an inverted V). Also the vertical bar shaped rear sequential LEDs are now replaced with DOT type design (or maybe that's just the camo)

InkedS650 Mustang Prototype Mule Spied 11_LI.jpg
It's camo. That's not what the production tail lights will look like.

I do get where @Jem got the "underwhelming" first impression from😬

We finally got some actual s650 pics but there are already a few concerning aspects...

Headlights look outdated, overall front looks "just" ok and the non-existance of the quad exhaust is a no go. Unless it is the Ecoboost.

I'm bad at imagening stuff so I hope it's going to be better then what my mind creates at the moment 😉
It's an Ecoboost. Look at the floating brake calipers both front and rear.

Embarrassed to say I had to look up "liftback" - because I've known/referred to that style as hatchback. Liftback is a real term apparently lol. Learn something new everyday 😄
Hatchback and liftback are not the same thing.

Compared to to 2014, the s650 looks to have:
- A higher front fender above tire
- A higher beltline
- A lower rear tail

Everything it DOESN'T need.

amk91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTP PP and 2014 SVT Raptor SE
Typical pre-production testing mule camo - can't really tell anything other than it's a ponycar shape.
S650 Mustang First Look: S650 Mustang Prototype Spied With Production Body! 📸 2023-Ford-Mustang-S650-Mule-Prototype-February-2021-Exterior-004-front-three-quarters-1024x683

S650 Mustang First Look: S650 Mustang Prototype Spied With Production Body! 📸 S650 Mustang Prototype Mule Spied 1

I like what thePill has to say in post#47. If the new Mustang front end looks just like the one pictured in post#47 , I would certainly buy one. That Mustang front end looks so sleek and clean. I think thePill is on to something.
Has thePill seen anything regarding this vehicle officially from anyone at Ford? That rendering has very little connection to what anything truly intended, judging by interviews, design briefs and proposals put forward and mentioned in depth back in 2013-14.

Exactly, the things people are complaining about on the s650 mule also existed with s550 camo. Implying those won't be actual issues with the production s650 design.
This the real thing, pretty much not a mule at this stage from what my contact says. It's 95% production, save for fake pieces added to break up the lines. I think they call these VPs? And the old shots we were seeing before, I am told were the actual mules called M1s.

(Taken December 8, 2020)
S650 Mustang First Look: S650 Mustang Prototype Spied With Production Body! 📸 dims (3)
S650 Mustang First Look: S650 Mustang Prototype Spied With Production Body! 📸 Mustang.Dec08.g09.KGP_

Taken February 2021
S650 Mustang First Look: S650 Mustang Prototype Spied With Production Body! 📸 2023-Ford-Mustang-S650-Mule-Prototype-February-2021-Exterior-004-front-three-quarters-1024x683
S650 Mustang First Look: S650 Mustang Prototype Spied With Production Body! 📸 2023-Ford-Mustang-S650-Mule-Prototype-February-2021-Exterior-010-rear-three-quarters-1024x683

This red example wasn't for a second refresh like I thought 2 years ago, but a really, really early S650 mule typically called X-something prototype mule. It wasn't based on the final dimensions/revised platform like the two mules above, but just randomly testing single items before a design was locked down.

January 2020 S650 Mule
S650 Mustang First Look: S650 Mustang Prototype Spied With Production Body! 📸 Seventh-Generation-Ford-Mustang-Hybrid-Powertrain-Mule-007-1024x683

S650 Mustang First Look: S650 Mustang Prototype Spied With Production Body! 📸 Seventh-Generation-Ford-Mustang-Hybrid-Powertrain-Mule-010-1024x683

2015 spyshot.jpg

S650 Prototype 16.jpg
Haha, this are not even spy shots in my opinion. It's a Ford authorized prototype photoshoot, because Ford no longer allows true spy shots anymore. I honestly hate them for that, as a real spy would have easily caught these a long time ago. They are that strict. Real spy shots are pros or casual observers spotting these in traffic or parked somewhere.

A good spy shot, would be the ones catching the exposed front end of the 2015 in August 2013 track testing. These are so posed, that someone had permission to see them for marketing purposes.

Plus, as I mentioned before, the dates lineup perfectly with other recent Ford prototypes. The same period in mid January, in 2020 and 2021.

According to Dave Pericak, chief engineer for the S550, they built the first S550 VP cars in May 2013, some 6 months after pencils down around Thanksgiving 2012.

The first (very rainy) day they put them out for public rounds per Mulally's and Nair's permission, June 10, 2013, they got genuinely got swarmed by photographers.
S650 Mustang First Look: S650 Mustang Prototype Spied With Production Body! 📸 w_Mustang_cdauto_61013_5

He questioned whether it was a tip off from marketing, but in that case it was ultimately the popularity and high expectations, which gave it away. Plus, the knowledge that the first units had finally been built at the Pilot Plant and were waiting on obscuring disguise/camouflage to finish being deisgned and completed, for mounting on the car.

What Ford did do, was tested it on their closed tracks during May 2013 and early June 2013, until the day of June 10th, when it came out with Ford's blessing.

On first look I thought they were moving away from the fastback at least as steep in the S550 but now that I see comparisons to the S550 mules, I am not so sure. I am glad they are staying close to the S550 as I think it was a great design. I just hope the Mach E grill doesn't come over.
The s550 and s650 mules looks pretty close
Screenshot_20220116-092125_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220116-092136_Gallery.jpg
They're not mules, they're the real thing. Ditto for the S550 shots. From what I've learned over the years and been taught by insiders, these are typically mules for each major change (non-production testers).

S650 Mustang First Look: S650 Mustang Prototype Spied With Production Body! 📸 2007-42899-spy-photos-new-2009-ford-mustang1

S650 Mustang First Look: S650 Mustang Prototype Spied With Production Body! 📸 2015-ford-mustang-spy-photos-news-car-and-driver-photo-459697-s-original (1)
S650 Mustang First Look: S650 Mustang Prototype Spied With Production Body! 📸 2015-Mustang-spy-shots-disguised-as-2013-GT-left-rear-1
S650 Mustang First Look: S650 Mustang Prototype Spied With Production Body! 📸 2015-ford-mustang-coupe-spy-photo-photo-486662-s-986x603 (1)
S650 Mustang First Look: S650 Mustang Prototype Spied With Production Body! 📸 2015-ford-mustang-coupe-spy-photo-photo-486667-s-986x603

The Fox body and SN95 had a decently sized steering wheel.

It's camo. That's not what the production tail lights will look like.

It's an Ecoboost. Look at the floating brake calipers both front and rear.

Hatchback and liftback are not the same thing.

Everything it DOESN'T need.
From what I'm hearing, they are production parts, just hidden really well. Ford might already be building these prototypes off of FRAP and this is probably one of them I hear. They typically build all mules and the first verification protos, at Ford's Allen Park pilot plant. Then, the respective model's target plant, will receive the next model and start building them off the line about roughly 1 year out from production.

They did this for the 2021 F150 I heard, where the first examples were built as "M" mules in early 2018, then the first actual prototypes around late 2018. The first spy shots in May 2019, came from the testers built off of the line at Dearborn Truck Plant, in mid-April 2019. They looked very far along, with no placeholder lights or anything. Just 99% production.

S650 Mustang First Look: S650 Mustang Prototype Spied With Production Body! 📸 2021-ford-f-150-spy-photo-101-1557335362

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
What are zou even talking about, all of the proportions are pretty much copied from S550
h.jpg
Is anyone entertaining the possibility that the mule's bodywork is not what will end up in production?

amk91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTP PP and 2014 SVT Raptor SE
Is anyone entertaining the possibility that the mule's bodywork is not what will end up in production?
No, because it's not a mule anymore. This is the real thing at this point We have seen 2 years of mules at this point in time. They are now showing us the real thing, well covered up. They designed this with the idea it would be on sale 6 months from now and because of that, final styling wrapped more than a year ago.

The pandemic and chip shortage delayed launching it in 2022.

Last edited:

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Ha, yes, this one definitely appeared to be a genuine spy shot. If you've seen the film/documentary "A Faster Horse", Dave Pericak describes when they were ready to start driving the first prototype on the road. He told Tom Barnes to do the honors and Tom came back and said something along the lines of "congratulations, you'll see me all over the news"............they spin a laptop around and show this photo. "There's Barnsey" :crackup:

S650 Mustang First Look: S650 Mustang Prototype Spied With Production Body! 📸 Tom Barnes S550 prototype
Sponsored