• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Are the Recaros worth it?

93-Oct Mayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
To each their own, but its amazing how many people are talking about heated/cooled seats lol That's got to be at the very bottom of the list of things I'd even think about when buying a mustang. If you have cloth seats its not even a necessary feature

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Some folks are into the recaros... but when I see recaros, all I see is a seat that is uncomfortable.

1677951603387.png
That picture summarizes my impression when my wife and I first test drove a S550 without Recaros [we have only the option premium seats (electric, w/ cooling & heating) or Recaros over here].
That's how different the impression can be. :wink:

Yes, the Recaros are reasonably tight, but that's what we feel is comfortable.
My main criticism of the "premium" seats is the too short seat base, which does not provide adequate thigh support for longer driving (...a typical Ford thing...).

I use the S550 as a daily driver (e.g. 40 mi. to work on country roads) and we use it together for traveling (longest trip so far 870 mi. within two days).

...its amazing how many people are talking about heated/cooled seats...
Could be one of the biggest advantages to the S550. :giggle:

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
6'4 and 200lbs? You must be really skinny.
I try. I want to be about 5 lbs lighter.

To each their own, but its amazing how many people are talking about heated/cooled seats lol That's got to be at the very bottom of the list of things I'd even think about when buying a mustang. If you have cloth seats its not even a necessary feature
I have cloth seats in my PP1 and I agree they are fine. But if you get the cold and hot weather like we do in MN, the heating and cooling are useful and welcome.

noac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Recaro seats are a far better seat. First, the leather fitment is perfect. The leather is tight to the seat and does not wrinkle and get loose and wavy as the other leather seats do. The heated and cooled seats are comfortable, but I would honestly never own them again. I have had a few cars with those seats and the quality of the leather plus the factory installation of them leave so much to be desired. Maybe consider a 301A car and having Katzkin leather installed. Katzkin leather is around 1600-2k installed but the end result is much nicer.

Evo1986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT - 55 years edition Kona Blue AT
Dude trust me in cold winter days it is really nice. I seriously don't want to miss them. Same goes for the hot summer days and cooled seats. To me these options are not just " nice to have's" but must have's.

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Depends where you live man. Leather that burns your skin is no fun when you just want to sit down and go for a drive. Cooled seats are a convenience I didn't think I'd ever care about until I had them.

OP
OP
Cherry Orca

Cherry Orca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma 2019 V6
Depends where you live man. Leather that burns your skin is no fun when you just want to sit down and go for a drive. Cooled seats are a convenience I didn't think I'd ever care about until I had them.
I remember vacationing to Florida once. And I rented a FORD F150 and luckily it had cooled seats. It was a blessing. Hard for me to choose recaros unless the features are there.

okfoz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Stage 3
Recaros are hard, they are lumpy and they are uncomfortable, they make it hard to get in and out of the car. If I was going to race my car, sure the Recaros, but as a driver, Regular seats for every day.

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona Blue 301A, PP2, Active Exhaust, Recaro's
I’ve never owned recaros personally however every daily that I’ve had has had heated and cooled seats and tbh I never use them… when it’s hot I turn the ac on when it’s cold I put the heater on. My buddy had a 2017 zl1 with recaros and the first time I got into it I fell in love with the seats. So me personally I’m going for the recaros 100% heated/cooled or not. I guess it depends on where u live at too. It’s always hot where I’m at so I usually let the car warm up for like a few minutes with the ac on and I’m good to go
I thought ZL1 Recaro seats were powered, heated and cooled?

Count on me for a different opinion, I guess.

I don't like the Recaros. I'm 6'4" 200 lbs, and I'm too large for them. I went to the GT350 track attack and I found that even with the Recaros you have to have your harness very tight in order to be able to relax behind the wheel and really focus on controlling the car.

And I have installed a harness in my car for track days and I found that with the "sofa" seats and a tight harness you are held in position very well and can relax behind the wheel on track.

So my opinion is that the Recaros are for appearance only. They make the car look racy but otherwise don't functionally do anything better than the standard seats. And adjustable lumbar support is really nice to have. I think the standard seats are much more comfortable and just better all around than the Recaros for any use, whether it's daily driving, track, whatever.
The GT350 comfort seats with the alcantara back and seat base are the best seats I've seen in a Mustang. The alcantara will hold you in place better than the standard cloth recaros and way better than leather. So I can see how that would be better. Having tracked Mustangs with standard leather and Recaro's, The Recaro's held me in place much better. However, you have to fit in the seat well since they lack some adjustability.

Competition53

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 competition orange mustang gt
In all seriousness though I do have gt350 recaros in my gt and I love them (I know not the same as gt recaros).
I found my factory ones more uncomfortable. I’m 5’9 180lbs don’t know if that plays a factor but they give a cool factor if you’re into that too. They hug me so well I now know what being a “little spoon” feels like.

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
Maybe consider a 301A car and having Katzkin leather installed. Katzkin leather is around 1600-2k installed but the end result is much nicer.
A few months ago, I had new radio installed in my F350. When they did it, they accidentally tore the front seat (admittedly, it was a bit dry, but not that bad, someone had a screwdriver in their pocket...).
We looked at a lot of options, but settled on Katzkin as our replacement (no OEM skins available). I had it done at an authorized installer and when I got it back the next day, it was beautiful. I've pretty much hated the leather in that truck (2011 lariat, leather, heated and cooled) since day 1. Now, it's a really nice soft leather that feels like leather, not some sort of plasticized amalgamation of materials. That said, if I had known then what I know now, I would have gotten the King Ranch for that leather, which was so much better than the standard)

CarbonizedGT22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium
How about the best of both worlds. The newer S650s have Recaros with ventilated seats. Thinking about getting some if they will fit my S550 and will sell them to me lol.

Competition53

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 competition orange mustang gt
A few months ago, I had new radio installed in my F350. When they did it, they accidentally tore the front seat (admittedly, it was a bit dry, but not that bad, someone had a screwdriver in their pocket...).
We looked at a lot of options, but settled on Katzkin as our replacement (no OEM skins available). I had it done at an authorized installer and when I got it back the next day, it was beautiful. I've pretty much hated the leather in that truck (2011 lariat, leather, heated and cooled) since day 1. Now, it's a really nice soft leather that feels like leather, not some sort of plasticized amalgamation of materials. That said, if I had known then what I know now, I would have gotten the King Ranch for that leather, which was so much better than the standard)
My gt350 seats have been recovered with katzkin and they are ammmazing. That is the way to go if you want to upgrade your seats. The leather looks and feels like an expensive leather jacket. The quality is much better than oem.
Sponsored