• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Is the Dark Horse worth it?

Mikhail24DH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse
After looking at all the reviews, Dyno numbers & just overall “real life specs” it truly feels like ford overhyped the dark horse and gave out an inferior model. Dyno numbers are very low, the car is overall bigger & heavier, price is extremely high & even professional drivers are saying the steering in corners is inferior to the Mach 1.

I’m picking up my dark horse next week & worried I’m severely overpaying for an inferior product, two huge iPads & a fake gain of 20 horsepower just seems to me like ford really shit the bed on the 2024 GT & Darkhorse especially.

What are your thoughts?
Sponsored

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I suppose it depends on what you're looking for. In the grand scheme of things, it seems like performance of the S650 is basically on par with the S550, so you're not really getting any additional performance for your money. What you are getting is updated styling, both exterior and interior, and a car that's one model year newer. If that's worth it is going to be a personal decision that everyone is going to have to make. If you want the performance of a Dark Horse but don't want to spend as much, there are still left over new Mach 1s out there that are likely to perform the same, but be quite a bit cheaper as they can be had at a discount. If you want the handling pack though, I think you're out of luck on new Mach 1s as I don't think there's any left unsold.

If you want a new Mustang with a Tremec, the only options are Dark Horse or Mach 1, and your choices with Mach 1s are getting slimmer every day. Again, if you want the handling pack, your options are Dark Horse if you have to have new, or a Mach 1 if you want to go used, though I haven't ever checked used Mach 1 handling pack cars to see what the price delta is to a new Dark Horse.

I would like a Dark Horse for the Tremec (I prefer 5th being the 1:1) and the additional coolers. I would also like a handling pack car. My issue is the pricing of this is about 70K which just seems ridiculous to me for a Mustang with this level of performance. It also doesn't have anything really special about it like the Voodoo in the GT350. It would've been really nice if Ford would've made the Dark Horse the GT and just had the handling pack be optional or make a track pack that included the additional coolers and the handling pack. The fact that the Dark Horse is a "limited" model also means I have to wade through endless dealer bullshit trying to find one at MSRP (or less). There's absolutely no way that I'm paying over sticker for any car, let alone a Mustang.

Jrws1014

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost Premium Convertible
I don’t think the Dark Horse is worth it. The “power gains” aren’t really gains at all. The interior doesn’t come with leather which is easier to keep clean, and there is no convertible option. The price just doesn’t make sense for what you are buying…

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
After looking at all the reviews, Dyno numbers & just overall “real life specs” it truly feels like ford overhyped the dark horse and gave out an inferior model. Dyno numbers are very low, the car is overall bigger & heavier, price is extremely high & even professional drivers are saying the steering in corners is inferior to the Mach 1.

I’m picking up my dark horse next week & worried I’m severely overpaying for an inferior product, two huge iPads & a fake gain of 20 horsepower just seems to me like ford really shit the bed on the 2024 GT & Darkhorse especially.

What are your thoughts?
Ford overhyped the „all new“ Mustang quite a bit but that shouldn’t come as a surprise as all data indicated that that would be the case… When the car was revealed last year most people could immediately tell that the S650 is just a refreshed S550. It’s not a bad car and it’s at least a bit better in almost every way than its predecessor but it is just that – slightly better. What makes the car so… misplaced I would say, is the price. The GT350 was a real bargain and Ford still made a lot of money off of it. However, Ford saw the writing on the wall and instead of releasing a new GT350 they came up with the Mach 1 for the same price… Get rid of the expensive Voodoo engine and the Shelby name and offer people an upgraded GT PP2 with a refreshed name and it only got worse ever since. The 2020 GT500 had a base price of around $74K… Good luck finding any used ones for that price…

The Dark Horse was advertised as a track car and as far as I know there aren’t any trustworthy track test online yet. Maybe the car is much better than a GT or a Mach 1 around a track although I doubt it. It will be faster but not much. Again, my problem is the price as much cheaper cars can deliver the same level of performance for far less. (S550 PP2, Mach 1, Camaros, M240i/340i…) However, if you track it regularly the DH might have been the right choice.

Lastoutlaw_21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia stinger and hyundai tucson hybrid
Ok I gotta say it. Yall realized the mach 1 was also 70k right. If you load it up like you wanted it was 70k. Why are we talking like the mach 1 wasn't close to 70k when you added HP and other options. Only different now it ford added the appearance pack, the stripes, and the gas tax increases along with the HP. Other than that it's 3500 extra. The mach 1 has always been high when you added stuff, so its no different with the DH it just 3500 more and has more options to take your cash. I will say this it's a first model yr so it will have its growing pains.

I have seen people say that the gt's handling is much improved and drives a lot like a base mach in some aspects. I've heard people say that both the ride quality, handling and turning is better for both when compared to the s550 which people complained about for awhile. So ford improved something to make it better. That's where the add weight comes in. Its an everyday car. They biggest killer for improved handling, ride quality, suspension, and stability is weight lol. That's where most of the weight gain comes from. These cars are literally made to be tuned and to pass EPA. The car has a lot of potential. However, we have to find the HP and restrictions on the engine to help it breathe more. Just like how Ford killed 10 hp with one plastic piece in the intake. I'm sure this car has a load of them. Just need to give it time.

So if you want a DH go for it. It comes with a warranty and all. The mach 1 will be out of warranty sooner and if it's not new, you getting a car someone beat the hell out of with a limited to no warranty. Plus get the DH because if you want a gt500. It will hold its value longer and you have a connection with that dealership to get a gt500 when available. If you getting the DH at MRSP.

Lastoutlaw_21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia stinger and hyundai tucson hybrid
Ford overhyped the „all new“ Mustang quite a bit but that shouldn’t come as a surprise as all data indicated that that would be the case… When the car was revealed last year most people could immediately tell that the S650 is just a refreshed S550. It’s not a bad car and it’s at least a bit better in almost every way than its predecessor but it is just that – slightly better. What makes the car so… misplaced I would say, is the price. The GT350 was a real bargain and Ford still made a lot of money off of it. However, Ford saw the writing on the wall and instead of releasing a new GT350 they came up with the Mach 1 for the same price… Get rid of the expensive Voodoo engine and the Shelby name and offer people an upgraded GT PP2 with a refreshed name and it only got worse ever since. The 2020 GT500 had a base price of around $74K… Good luck finding any used ones for that price…

The Dark Horse was advertised as a track car and as far as I know there aren’t any trustworthy track test online yet. Maybe the car is much better than a GT or a Mach 1 around a track although I doubt it. It will be faster but not much. Again, my problem is the price as much cheaper cars can deliver the same level of performance for far less. (S550 PP2, Mach 1, Camaros, M240i/340i…) However, if you track it regularly the DH might have been the right choice.
Yeah the older cars are cheaper. But none of the new cars are cheaper. Every car u looked at was expensive 65k and up for any preformance car. Unfortunately these are the times we are in for car people. Everything has increased except job wages. And with EV's costing way more than a gas car with 10x the issues. I don't see it getting better. I see it exploding and then going back to gas just due to all the lack of charging stations, light bill over 500 for people in a house and if it's summer then 800 plus. So it's just getting more expensive. I looked at a supra it was 70k then marked up, BMW marked up, however I did have an opportunity to get an m3 or m4 comp at mrsp.. but that's 90-100k, the z is 70k plus also. So new cars are impossible to get without paying high. And used cars are still somewhat high and you getting something that someone else has abused possibly without a warranty. It's hard out here for car people smh

ThreePedalPlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 Mustang GT Vert , 2024 Mustang GT Vert
It is too high based on straight line acceleration but that isn't what the Dark Horse was made for so I'm reserving judgement on the Dark Horse until I see track times like something from Car & Driver Lightning Lap.

Rate_of_Twist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Toyota 4Runner TRD PRO, 22 Triumph Speed Twin
No. And while we’re at it, this whole “tremec love affair” people have isn’t either.
Considering every professional review says otherwise, that seems pretty baseless. The Getrag is a true box full of neutrals transmission - Ford should be embarrassed they even offer it. If they have budget for screen and BS graphic that provide zero performance, put the damn money in a proper transmission

Apeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Ford Mustang Factory 260 V8 3sp, Caspian Blue

What are your thoughts?
I personally think the Dark Horse is an overrated, glorified GT. I was underwhelmed by its announcement, and seeing real world people test it and take it out to the track has not helped my stance on it. The name is too weak, the power figures are too close between it and the GT, and (i believe) you have to pay on top of starting price for the track handling package.

Also the eyebags are hideous

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT/CS, C6 Corvette, 1997 GT Convertable
It’s your money, buy what you want, but don’t buy a GT and come on the forum asking if you can add a bunch of the Dark Horse parts, because you later wished you had just spent a couple thousand more for the real thing.

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
I personally think the Dark Horse is an overrated, glorified GT. I was underwhelmed by its announcement, and seeing real world people test it and take it out to the track has not helped my stance on it. The name is too weak, the power figures are too close between it and the GT, and (i believe) you have to pay on top of starting price for the track handling package.

Also the eyebags are hideous

Im with you- I hate the goth like eyebags on it - and while outside of that I do like the rest of the car....I HATE the name.......

Cobra.... Mach 1... GT350 .... so many cool names to choose from .....but I cant just see telling my buddies I bought a Dark Horse

When I think Cobra- my mind goes back to the days of the Terminator

When I think Dark Horse I either think of Katy Perry or Dork Horse ...between that and the "Night Pony Package"

If I told my buddies I bought a Dark Horse Night Pony - they would ask me what my kids think of their new toy

I mean they have the GTD- why not call this the GTS or GTC or GT (pick random 3rd letter or number if they wanted something different)

Ike99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 1 Tacoma Pre Runner, 2016 Avalon
It’s your money, buy what you want, but don’t buy a GT and come on the forum asking if you can add a bunch of the Dark Horse parts, because you later wished you had just spent a couple thousand more for the real thing.
Exactly! Buy it, or shut up and move on. I've never seen anyone that was forced to buy a car, lol.

knuklz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Golf R
Ok I gotta say it. Yall realized the mach 1 was also 70k right. If you load it up like you wanted it was 70k. Why are we talking like the mach 1 wasn't close to 70k when you added HP and other options. Only different now it ford added the appearance pack, the stripes, and the gas tax increases along with the HP. Other than that it's 3500 extra. The mach 1 has always been high when you added stuff, so its no different with the DH it just 3500 more and has more options to take your cash. I will say this it's a first model yr so it will have its growing pains.

I have seen people say that the gt's handling is much improved and drives a lot like a base mach in some aspects. I've heard people say that both the ride quality, handling and turning is better for both when compared to the s550 which people complained about for awhile. So ford improved something to make it better. That's where the add weight comes in. Its an everyday car. They biggest killer for improved handling, ride quality, suspension, and stability is weight lol. That's where most of the weight gain comes from. These cars are literally made to be tuned and to pass EPA. The car has a lot of potential. However, we have to find the HP and restrictions on the engine to help it breathe more. Just like how Ford killed 10 hp with one plastic piece in the intake. I'm sure this car has a load of them. Just need to give it time.

So if you want a DH go for it. It comes with a warranty and all. The mach 1 will be out of warranty sooner and if it's not new, you getting a car someone beat the hell out of with a limited to no warranty. Plus get the DH because if you want a gt500. It will hold its value longer and you have a connection with that dealership to get a gt500 when available. If you getting the DH at MRSP.
Funny cuz that’s my goal. Got the DH for msrp and hope to trade up for the GT500 with this dealership when it comes out. Hoping it does.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Is it confirmed to be returning next year or is it a one-of-one, details to follow type of thing. Maybe the gt is the dh in disguise and one of one is the ‘track pack quick look at the soul pony’….
Sponsored