• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Is the Dark Horse worth it?

Lastoutlaw_21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia stinger and hyundai tucson hybrid
Funny cuz that’s my goal. Got the DH for msrp and hope to trade up for the GT500 with this dealership when it comes out. Hoping it does.
Yeah my dealership is back near my hometown. It's a smaller dealership in the country area. So they make alot of money in truck sales because those big farmers in the state stay down there and always break trucks lol. Plus they get alot of trucks because they sale fast. So cars don't get sold as much or marked up. Just so they can keep getting inventory. So buying from them is a way to get other cars from them in the future. Without issues.
Sponsored

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT/CS, C6 Corvette, 1997 GT Convertable
Is it confirmed to be returning next year or is it a one-of-one, details to follow type of thing. Maybe the gt is the dh in disguise and one of one is the ‘track pack quick look at the soul pony’….
They have a whole race series around the Dark Horse, so it will be the top non Shelby for the foreseeable future.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
They have a whole race series around the Dark Horse, so it will be the top non Shelby for the foreseeable future.
How many do they have to sell to have the series?

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr

Lastoutlaw_21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't think the Shelby name plate is gonna pop back up. If I remember ford said it cost alot to use the Shelby name. So I can see how using the Dark Horse name is saving them losts of cash. They are rebranding the names to stand out from Shelby. So the gt500 could possibly be a different name and without Shelby being used. You could probably pay extra and let Shelby themselves work on your car and pay for the name brand yourself.

f00man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
It is rare to see a good product when there is no competition. Ford knows that GM and Dodge are out of the game, so they don’t have to put any effort into the Mustang. If you want such product, go for it.

The Dark Horse moniker is already kind of a joke, or at least a chuckle. Much rather have a 2SS 1LE/ZL1 1LE (hard to get) or maybe even MKV Supra.

5.ooooooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
O7 merc mountianeer premier
It is rare to see a good product when there is no competition. Ford knows that GM and Dodge are out of the game, so they don’t have to put any effort into the Mustang. If you want such product, go for it.

The Dark Horse moniker is already kind of a joke, or at least a chuckle. Much rather have a 2SS 1LE/ZL1 1LE (hard to get) or maybe even MKV Supra.
Exactly it’s 2005 again where the firebird and Camaro died, and dodge didn’t come out with the charger and challenger yet. Besides the Supra and m2, which are both bmws. Ford doesn’t have much competition in the market. Which means performance enhancements will be meaningful. Hopefully they have some powerpack in development.

5.ooooooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
O7 merc mountianeer premier
Exactly it’s 2005 again where the firebird and Camaro died, and dodge didn’t come out with the charger and challenger yet. Besides the Supra and m2, which are both bmws. Ford doesn’t have much competition in the market. Which means performance enhancements will be meaningful. Hopefully they have some powerpack in development.
I meant minimum

Katastrophe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14' Honda Civic EX; 14' Honda VFR800 DLX
OP - As others have stated, only you can answer that question. However, I think if you make a list of wants/needs and likes/dislikes, it'll help you put your mind at ease.

To avoid a long-winded explanation...if you are PURELY after the driving characteristics of the car and don't put much stock into the new tech/features/fluff, then the upgrades over the S550 probably aren't worth it. The S650 isn't a waste of money, but it is no longer a bang/buck king.

The availability of 22' and 23' Mustangs are still quite high and with STEEP discounts, that is your ticket (if you still want a Mustang). Otherwise, there are other options out there.

To touch on what @ThreePedalPlow mentioned, the DH chops won't be fully utilized in 'tests' until it is fully unleashed on a circuit like VIR. Speaking of that...did you buy a DH with the HP or without it? I'd argue the HP pack is almost a necessity for the DH to make it "make sense".

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 GT vert A10 / ‘23 Mach 1 A10 / ‘23 Mach 1 6MT
Ok I gotta say it. Yall realized the mach 1 was also 70k right. If you load it up like you wanted it was 70k. Why are we talking like the mach 1 wasn't close to 70k when you added HP and other options. Only different now it ford added the appearance pack, the stripes, and the gas tax increases along with the HP. Other than that it's 3500 extra. The mach 1 has always been high when you added stuff
Maybe one reason we are talking like the Mach 1 wasn’t close to 70K is that well, it wasn’t. And isn’t. At least not to get a great street car. The HP is completely unnecessary on the street and many say it’s not needed for an occasional track day either. I suspect this would describe the significant majority of Mach 1 buyers, otherwise the HP would be standard and it would have been called the GT350 Lite or some such. The HP does however make your sig look cooler on Internet forums If that’s important.

OP, I just bought a beautiful new 2023 Mach 1 in July for about a grand off the window sticker of $58,990-complete with Nav and factory cover. (gratuitous pic below). And I didn’t get a great deal. If you want one, there are still some stragglers out there but I’d hurry. Whatever you decide to do, at least arm yourself with actual facts. You can read for days over on the sister Mach 1 forum but it’s an awful lot of car for the $! You probably couldn’t go far wrong either way.

S650 Mustang Is the Dark Horse worth it? IMG_3519

Jivor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mustang GT
It's interesting that Ford may have divorced itself from Shelby, which is a shame. I suppose the prevailing belief is that given it's "muscle v8 last standing situation" and is no longer beholden to the altar of performance, that Ford is flying free. There is the Mach 1 (which is problematic with the Mach-E diluting the waters), the Bullitt, and the GT-350/500 in the chamber; so what can Ford manage on its own without Shelby to bear the heavy lifting?

Lastoutlaw_21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe one reason we are talking like the Mach 1 wasn’t close to 70K is that well, it wasn’t. And isn’t. At least not to get a great street car. The HP is completely unnecessary on the street and many say it’s not needed for an occasional track day either. I suspect this would describe the significant majority of Mach 1 buyers, otherwise the HP would be standard and it would have been called the GT350 Lite or some such. The HP does however make your sig look cooler on Internet forums If that’s important.

OP, I just bought a beautiful new 2023 Mach 1 in July for about a grand off the window sticker of $58,990-complete with Nav and factory cover. (gratuitous pic below). And I didn’t get a great deal. If you want one, there are still some stragglers out there but I’d hurry. Whatever you decide to do, at least arm yourself with actual facts. You can read for days over on the sister Mach 1 forum but it’s an awful lot of car for the $! You probably couldn’t go far wrong either way.

IMG_3519.jpeg
Never said it wasn't a good car. And if you loaded a Mach 1 up fully it was close to 70k like 66-67k with destination. So if it had the gas tax it would have been 68k fully loaded. The DH isn't bad until you add all the options to it. It's only 3k increase from the base Mach 1. Honestly there isn't a need for the Mach 1 or DH. They are both a gt with different badging, a tune, some coolers, and track stuff. We honestly paying for a name to be fair. But I ordered a DH and will enjoy it until the gt500 pops up and I'll trade it in. Lol I'll pay for a name idc I only have one life to live. Hope you enjoy your Mach 1.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Velocity Blue Mach 1

IMG_3519.jpeg
The absolute steal of a lifetime and my favorite car EVER. (Well, that I’ve owned that is).

Last edited:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a...horse-r-arrives-with-its-own-one-make-series/

However was wondering how many ‘production’ cars are needed in order to meet the requirements of having a series.
Since it’s a “one make” series there are no production requirements. Even if there was the minimum Ford would have needed to guarantee it. Lastly, unlike, the Bullitt and Mach 1 the Dark Horse is a regular line model. There will be no limitations on production.
Sponsored