• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Are the Recaros worth it?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I've lived with both. My '16 Premium came with the stock leather seats and I swapped for Recaros after a couple years. I don't regret 'upgrading' one bit.

Its true that for occasional track or autox, harnesses with the sofa seats isn't a bad option.

*however*

I did find that cranking harnesses down with the sofa seats put a lot of strain straight down on the tops of my shoulders, because of the lower position of the top of the seat back, my shoulders were the highest point (and I'm only 5'10" with a normal length torso). The harness passthrough holes in the recaros OTOH are located much more appropriately and I don't get that strain.

Pros for Recaros
1 - The Recaros are pretty rare and look amazing (looks should always come first, no?).
2 - the drivers side recaro adjust lower than the power recliner can go, (so better with a helmet or if you are tall but not wide)
3 - the bolstering IS a lot sportier for any sort of normal casual use. You get more feedback, and slide around less (without the need for harnesses). Even the seat bottom is more communicative.
4 - I find them exceptionally comfortable for long multi-hour trips. I've driven up to 12 hours a day and feel fine afterwards. "short" 3 hour drives are a non-issue. No need for lumbar adjustment if they're perfect as-is.

Pros for the Sofa seats
1 - easier to slip into and slip out of. Better for a grocery getter or errand runner. Recaros aren't bad, but there's more clearance to the wheel and less bolstering to slip past with the stock seats when getting in and out.
2 - I guess the heating and cooling is ok. Never found I used it much anyway here in TX.
3 - really the only option if you've got a wide torso.
My torso must be shorter than yours, because I don't have that issue with the shoulders even though I'm 6 inches taller than you. My problems with fitting in the Recaros are hips, thighs, lats and shoulders are all too tight. My waist is actually narrow as I don't have much body fat.

To me the best things about the sofa seats are the adjustability of the lumbar support and the head rest. I like to change the lumbar quite a bit on different days and even different times of the day. Definitely when using a helmet the head rest needs to move. If you are ever in an accident, you want the head rest in the proper position.
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
My torso must be shorter than yours, because I don't have that issue with the shoulders even though I'm 6 inches taller than you. My problems with fitting in the Recaros are hips, thighs, lats and shoulders are all too tight. My waist is actually narrow as I don't have much body fat.

To me the best things about the sofa seats are the adjustability of the lumbar support and the head rest. I like to change the lumbar quite a bit on different days and even different times of the day. Definitely when using a helmet the head rest needs to move. If you are ever in an accident, you want the head rest in the proper position.
Yeah like I said, if you're wide (shoulders, etc), the recaros may not fit. Your experience is a common one. People really should try to sit in the recaros before they commit.

I drive hard and crank my harnesses down tight (you have to with a seat as soft as the sofa seats). That shoulder pressure is just something I experienced, some of our tracks are bumpy. I don't have a long torso or anything. The stock seats are definitely not designed for harnesses, but it does kinda work ok in a pinch.

The headrest on the sofa seats never felt right with a helmet.. Would have to flip it around. The recaros the helmet fits fine.

They're both damn heavy and flex around about as much (which is a little dissapointing).

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The headrest on the sofa seats never felt right with a helmet.. Would have to flip it around. The recaros the helmet fits fine.
I would be concerned that in an accident with no helmet the Recaros have too much clearance and a neck injury is more likely. Being able to adjust seems like a benefit to me. I typically have the headrest all the way back with a helmet and then adjust it farther forward for street driving. I agree flipping the head rest around could be a good option if more adjustment is needed.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram
I had a 2018 GT with the heated seats and bought a set of Bullitt Recaros. They ended up being very uncomfortable in the sides of my ribs. Took them apart to try and modify them for comfort but it didn’t work. When I ordered the Mach 1, the heated seats were a no brainer.

pozi240

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang GT PP, 21 Bronco Wildtrak, 20 Ranger
I would. The power and cooling are very cool, but I can't go back to stock seats.
Agreed. Three S550s we've owned. The first one were stock seats... hated them. The next two (including our current car) have had the Recaros. Can not go back now... LOVE them.

Rio Lobo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
It's amazing how polarizing the Recaros are. If you're on the fence, sitting on them is definitely the only real way to find out. I rarely use the heat and cool functions in our other cars, and my bolstered Si seats are rather comfortable for me. So I think I'm gonna give the Recaros a shot. I fit rather well in the Recaros I tried in a GT500 my dealer had.

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GT
As soon as you drive through your first corner you know you want the Recaros, they are that much better. On top of that the heating and cooling functions work pretty lousy, so you're not missing much there. Lastly the leather on the normal seats wears quickly, the Recaro leather stays nice a lot longer.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
the recaros are inarguably better if you’re not fat if we can be blunt here lol

Q6543

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
I love them so much I have a set in my foxbody.

6ft 200lbs

rchandler9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Ford Expedition and 14' Infiniti Q50s
Hey Everyone! Would you get Recaro’s or would you just leave the heated and cooled leather seats in the GT? Thanks!
I have set in them multiple times in the Mach 1. And test drove a Mach one for a day with them. I hate the bolsters. 10-minutes driving and I was tired of the squeeze on my back. I am 5’10/195, with average build. If I were going to track my Mustang, I would probably get them. But I don’t want to daily my Mustang with Recaro’s. Too uncomfortable! They look good though. And since they are not heat/cooled that is just another strike against them.

Evo1986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT - 55 years edition Kona Blue AT
Count on me for a different opinion, I guess.

I don't like the Recaros. I'm 6'4" 200 lbs, and I'm too large for them. I went to the GT350 track attack and I found that even with the Recaros you have to have your harness very tight in order to be able to relax behind the wheel and really focus on controlling the car.

And I have installed a harness in my car for track days and I found that with the "sofa" seats and a tight harness you are held in position very well and can relax behind the wheel on track.

So my opinion is that the Recaros are for appearance only. They make the car look racy but otherwise don't functionally do anything better than the standard seats. And adjustable lumbar support is really nice to have. I think the standard seats are much more comfortable and just better all around than the Recaros for any use, whether it's daily driving, track, whatever.
6'4 and 200lbs? You must be really skinny.

Evo1986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT - 55 years edition Kona Blue AT
I state it again: I think it is either a print mistake or Ford WILL bring the heated and ventilated options, because it was announced and shown as well. Taking this option back would be a massive let down as I was really into them with those options. In Germany those options are very important to most drivers :D