• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

What will it take to save the V8 Mustang?

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
As far as sound goes, has everything been done with both cross- and flat-plane V8s? I feel like to save it one last time, someone would have to make an absolute swan song of a V8 in terms of both sound and performance. Something never heard and done before that outperforms everything in its class and even outside it. That said I'd absolutely be down for a flat-V8 that sounds completely different from the Voodoo but still screams like a Ferrari at high RPMs. But if it the Mustang becomes a niche vehicle that only the rich can afford it, will it no longer be a Mustang in terms of vehicular purpose?
The point of the Voodoo was to make it sound like a Mustang and not like a Ferrariā€¦ If you want Ferrari sound go and buy one ;) The crank pins in the Voodoo crankshaft are in a different order (up down up down instead of up down down up). They are no longer perfectly balanced. Besides, they put on some unequal headers combined with a single intake, which in combination creates the unique Voodoo sound. Former Ford Design Director Chris Svensson once said that they were worried the Voodoo would sound like a Ferrari hence they made some changes.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Low voltage was considered ā€œno big dealā€. Lessons learned, it is now state licensed in most states with most requirements basically the same as a master electrical contractor less 3 phase systems.
I think that's more the states wanting a little more cash flow. Not that it's dangerous to work with low voltage and should really require a license.

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
The point of the Voodoo was to make it sound like a Mustang and not like a Ferrariā€¦ If you want Ferrari sound go and buy one ;) The crank pins in the Voodoo crankshaft are in a different order (up down up down instead of up down down up). They are no longer perfectly balanced. Besides, they put on some unequal headers combined with a single intake, which in combination creates the unique Voodoo sound. Former Ford Design Director Chris Svensson once said that they were worried the Voodoo would sound like a Ferrari hence they made some changes.
Heh, I'll stick with my free Ferrari sounds in Forza (for better and worse depending on the game). šŸ˜

Alternatively, instead of sounding like a Ferrari or McLaren, they could go ultra-sleeper mode and sound like a Lexus or Mercedes-AMG. Make it an option like (or even alongside) the active exhaust, I don't know.

But again, I'm an atypical Mustang fan. My ideas are more likely than not way out there compared to what hardcore enthusiasts want.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 GT
As far as sound goes, has everything been done with both cross- and flat-plane V8s? I feel like to save it one last time, someone would have to make an absolute swan song of a V8 in terms of both sound and performance. Something never heard and done before that outperforms everything in its class and even outside it. That said I'd absolutely be down for a flat-V8 that sounds completely different from the Voodoo but still screams like a Ferrari at high RPMs. But if it the Mustang becomes a niche vehicle that only the rich can afford it, will it no longer be a Mustang in terms of vehicular purpose?

The current 5.0L V8 is already a swan song you just don`t realize it yet. It sounds better than most cars on the market right now. Even some of those high end exotics starting to sound terrible like the current turbo Ferrari engines that are muted due to EU regulations.

You also have no idea how rare it is to drive a modern V8 engine compared to the rest of the world. We have no engine displacement tax and cheaper gas.

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
The current 5.0L V8 is already a swan song you just don`t realize it yet. It sounds better than most cars on the market right now. Even some of those high end exotics starting to sound terrible like the current turbo Ferrari engines that are muted due to EU regulations.

You also have no idea how rare it is to drive a modern V8 engine compared to the rest of the world. We have no engine displacement tax and cheaper gas.
Oh, I'm aware. Much more than I let on. I actually prefer the Coyote sound to the Voodoo. Someday I plan to own a Mustang with a V8, but not for another 3-4 years at least.

As for exotics sounding terrible because they're muted, is that why they sounded like poorly optimized I-4 engines?

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Yes, the Aston (actually an AMG 4.0 Twin Turbo V8) and the Jaguar use cross plane crank V8s........Ferrari and McLaren use flat plane cranks. Flat Plane cranks traditionally sound like a superbike engine, or 2 four cylinders due to the firing order. A lot of work was done to give the GT350's flat plane crank a unique sound. It's definitely more CPC in sound, but with the exotic high revving nature.

For what its worth, I prefer the old school cross plane crank V8 sound. It's what made me fall in love with American cars :)

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 GT
Oh, I'm aware. Much more than I let on. I actually prefer the Coyote sound to the Voodoo. Someday I plan to own a Mustang with a V8, but not for another 3-4 years at least.

As for exotics sounding terrible because they're muted, is that why they sounded like poorly optimized I-4 engines?
I have always thought the Coyote sounded better than the Voodoo also.

There are certain exotic cars that still sound good like Lamborghini. But most of them are muted and only sound decent inside the cabin. Pretty much anything from Europe that has a turbo is muted. The OPF filter and Turbo kill the sound. These modern V8 engines we are getting from the big 3 are amazing in terms of power and sound.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 GT
Not all exotics.

With active exhaust no less.
fun fact about the Jaguar F-type.

Jag recently made a update to there software where the car no longer pops and bangs. You can no longer start the car in dynamic model (exhaust valves open) either. Even if you own a older model the dealership will update your car when you go in for service to make it quieter. Its a widely known thing on the forums.

Those turbo V8 AMG engines do sound great though.

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
I'm sorry for my earlier statement. I didn't mean to make a blanket statement for all flat-plane crank V8s (or even all V8s outside of the muscle cars) sounding atrocious. Reading it back at least, that's how I feel I came across. šŸ˜°

My only gripe with the Voodoo is that there's no bass (for lack of a better term) at the low/mid RPMs, which makes it sound harsh from the outside to my ears. (I promise I'm not trying to stir stuff up! šŸ˜…)

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I always think modern EPA-compliant V8 noises are somewhat sterile. And they all kind of sound the same. I really love the sound of a V8 with a cam that has lots of valve overlap. There are a couple different rhythms that happen. It sounds like it could die at any moment. It's just a lot more aggressive and angry sounding to me. I even love how an engine like this shakes the car at idle.

I really wish Ford would set up a special mode that ignores the EPA for idling at a track or a car show.

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
There are a couple different rhythms that happen. It sounds like it could die at any moment.
that is my textbook definition of a badly tuned engine or at least one with the idle set WAY too low.

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
I always think modern EPA-compliant V8 noises are somewhat sterile. And they all kind of sound the same. I really love the sound of a V8 with a cam that has lots of valve overlap. There are a couple different rhythms that happen. It sounds like it could die at any moment. It's just a lot more aggressive and angry sounding to me. I even love how an engine like this shakes the car at idle.

I really wish Ford would set up a special mode that ignores the EPA for idling at a track or a car show.

O.T. but I got to say that the '69 Fastback is still the most beautiful pony car ever!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
that is my textbook definition of a badly tuned engine or at least one with the idle set WAY too low.
I'm not talking about rich/lean or poor ignition timing. This is due to valve overlap inherent in the cam profiles.

And yes you can get the idle to smooth out by setting it really high, but what's the fun in that?

I used to have a cheaply built 302 with GT40 heads, EFI and a somewhat large cam. It was so fun to sit at a light and listen to it idle. And the engine just loved to rev. It's one thing I miss in the Coyote when compared to the Voodoo is that real free revving character.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 GT

You are totally correct about them sounding sterile compared to older engines. But compared to most things on the market today they do sound the best (besides certain exotic cars).

Years ago I had a cammed 2010 Camaro LS3 with electric cutouts right after the headers, I do miss the sound of a cammed V8.
Sponsored