• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

If s650 is the last gen of mustangs to have the v8, what will the following gens be?

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
As always, it comes down to what the market wants. Most 20-somethings I know from work seem to be totally unimpressed with cars in general and could care less about driving as an experience to enjoy ... if they need a car for transportation, they are much more concerned about what "apps" the car has than what's under the hood.
Sponsored

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
As always, it comes down to what the market wants. Most 20-somethings I know from work seem to be totally unimpressed with cars in general and could care less about driving as an experience to enjoy ... if they need a car for transportation, they are much more concerned about what "apps" the car has than what's under the hood.
sad

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It's an important duty for parents to raise their kids right.

passwords

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350R & ā€˜19 ZL1 1LE
Ford is a for-profit company. Ford will make plans, consumer adoption will dictate the end result. Tesla cornered the market on people who are willing, able, and eager to adopt electric cars. Mass adoption is a different story. Most people who buy cars could care less about how the vehicle is powered, but plugging your car in every night, and not being able to drive 1000 miles in a (very long) day will be a significant barrier to mass adoption.

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang Vert w/pony package
A friend and neighbor of mine is a retired Ford senior executive, who is still active with the company. He tells me Ford's plan right now is for the S650 to be the last ICE Mustang, and for the next generation (2028?) to be all-electric, a coupe version of the Mach-E.

At the same time, Ford's internal analyses (as well as outside assessments) show that the country is nowhere near ready or capable of going all-electric for new car sales in the next 5-10 years. One pesky little detail that is often overlooked is simply transmission line infrastructure. If every new car sale was magically electric, the transmission infrastructure couldn't handle it (to say nothing of the impossible additional loads on generating capacity). Substantial additional investments need to be made in both generating capacity and transmission infrastructure to handle a significant increase in electric cars.

https://jalopnik.com/california-wants-residents-to-slow-down-on-charging-all-1849480859

We'll leave aside other inconvenient details such as long as the country generates about 2/3 of its electricity from fossil fuel sources, burning fossil fuels to generate electricity to then charge EV's doesn't make environmental sense, or the environmental impacts of mining the rare Earth metals needed for all the batteries.

https://carbuzz.com/news/toyotas-chief-scientist-says-the-world-isnt-ready-for-evs

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/30/...ytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

or real-world EV range compared to marketing claims

https://www.wsj.com/articles/i-rent...e-charging-it-than-i-did-sleeping-11654268401

https://www.westernjournal.com/electric-car-fail-25-charging-stations-deep-blue-region-not-work/

Ford seems to be going along with the EV hysteria sweeping the nation and other car companies, regardless of how problematic and impractical it might be in many ways. The only chance of slowing it down is if reality finally hits home.

I'm all for saving the planet. After all, it's the only one we have. We need to stop burning things for power. But forcing everyone to buy EV's on its own isn't the answer.
I hear you. I live least than 6 miles from a coal fired generating plant. The coal is brought in by rail and dumped on the ground. Since it's located by a river, coal dust goes into the water when it rains. The coal dust, also, goes up into the air (when its moved) and mixed with the rain. Then acid rain comes down on everything and eats metal coatings. What's worse, no one cares.

atl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2003 Mach One
Pretty biased take. I could say in the same note most people I see trying to street race and modding cars are young 20 somethingā€™s. I donā€™t think that should amount to any credibility. Regardless EV as of now or even the near future wonā€™t be entirely possible for the reasons already listed. The infrastructure isnā€™t there. Doesnā€™t help CA wants to shut down another nuclear plant which is just hurting its overall grid as well.

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
Pretty biased take. I could say in the same note most people I see trying to street race and modding cars are young 20 somethingā€™s. I donā€™t think that should amount to any credibility. Regardless EV as of now or even the near future wonā€™t be entirely possible for the reasons already listed. The infrastructure isnā€™t there. Doesnā€™t help CA wants to shut down another nuclear plant which is just hurting its overall grid as well.
No bias at all. What I said is that market demand will determine the outcome.

I also shared my personal observations and clearly identified them as such. Based on those observations, my own speculation is that the market is likely to be less interested in high performance V8 powered cars tomorrow than it is today, but as I said, it will come down to what the market wants not what you or I or anyone else posts on a car forum.

jamespmoran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150, 2020 Explorer ST, 2004 Thunderbird
Just look at all the drag strips that are closing. This generation has no interest in true performance. I ordered a 2024, this will be my 9th Mustang. Wanted a piece of what will probably be the last true performance car.

agreywolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grabber Blue Mustang GT premium w/PP
depends on your definition of "performance" the ICE isnt a magical mystery anymore, anyone and their mother could make a drag car pushing 1000+hp and still only just be beating a tesla to 60mph, just look at all the people online buying old cars and throwing as much boost at them as humanly possible. But to me, thats just the base human desire of seeing a number go up, true performance is how well a car can handle all challenges the track can throw at it which involves way more than a straight line. will the V8 go away to meet this need? no, it wont, at worst itll be paired with a hybrid system like what the C8 E-ray is doing, or what the 918 spyder did way back when, but ultimately the design of modern cars is moving to drifting/track driving performance here. As long as there are still at least two cars on the road, people will be questioning which one performs better than the other on a track.

IFFV68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150 Limited
The entire delusion of no more combustion engine coupled with EV only and zero infrastructure is going to come to a head soon. Nevermind the dismissive hand waving at all the fossil fuel required to charge up or lithium battery mining... most people will not be able to afford a home charger and there is no way this scales. And look at CA. Their "leaders" are tweeting to unplug their EVs and turn off AC to conserve because their power grid is insufficient. This is going to go well for the masses? šŸ¤£
One has to wonder how long the EV fad will last.
infrastructure isnā€™t there and apparently itā€™s not going to be there.
I donā€™t believe they are building the interstate with charging stations?
And, who would want to be in the middle of the desert waiting for charging station when you can get Robbed?
On the plus side.
Iā€™ve never heard of an Electric Car getting stolen or Hijacked!

IFFV68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150 Limited
A friend and neighbor of mine is a retired Ford senior executive, who is still active with the company. He tells me Ford's plan right now is for the S650 to be the last ICE Mustang, and for the next generation (2028?) to be all-electric, a coupe version of the Mach-E.

At the same time, Ford's internal analyses (as well as outside assessments) show that the country is nowhere near ready or capable of going all-electric for new car sales in the next 5-10 years. One pesky little detail that is often overlooked is simply transmission line infrastructure. If every new car sale was magically electric, the transmission infrastructure couldn't handle it (to say nothing of the impossible additional loads on generating capacity). Substantial additional investments need to be made in both generating capacity and transmission infrastructure to handle a significant increase in electric cars.

https://jalopnik.com/california-wants-residents-to-slow-down-on-charging-all-1849480859

We'll leave aside other inconvenient details such as long as the country generates about 2/3 of its electricity from fossil fuel sources, burning fossil fuels to generate electricity to then charge EV's doesn't make environmental sense, or the environmental impacts of mining the rare Earth metals needed for all the batteries.

https://carbuzz.com/news/toyotas-chief-scientist-says-the-world-isnt-ready-for-evs

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/30/...ytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

or real-world EV range compared to marketing claims

https://www.wsj.com/articles/i-rent...e-charging-it-than-i-did-sleeping-11654268401

https://www.westernjournal.com/electric-car-fail-25-charging-stations-deep-blue-region-not-work/

Ford seems to be going along with the EV hysteria sweeping the nation and other car companies, regardless of how problematic and impractical it might be in many ways. The only chance of slowing it down is if reality finally hits home.

I'm all for saving the planet. After all, it's the only one we have. We need to stop burning things for power. But forcing everyone to buy EV's on its own isn't the answer.
You may have forgotten the Distribution side of electricity?.
Transmission power lines need to be updated along with Substations and local distribution power lines.
Weā€™re talking about a lot of money šŸ’° and it will takes years to upgrade.
With the current administration it may take longer?
Like you said, at what cost to the environment?
No one will win.

IFFV68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150 Limited
So like will they all be EV? then will the regular mustangs be merged in with the mACH E?

Or will the MACH E be for people who want the suv experience while giving the regular mustang a full on electric performance car experience?

IDK tbh i am hesitant because I REALLY love the 5.0 engine and how it feels and drives and I have driven a MACH E and although i prefer it to a tesla, the electric cars inherently have the sterile feel that i really dislike.
They will be Electric Golf Carts that will look like a Mustang!

Karguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger 6.4 Widebody 6 speed
The government mandated EV fad will come to an end soon because look at Ford as they cant give the Mach-E or F150 Lightning awayā€¦People dont have the money , have no garage with no charger , dont like soulless electric motors , dont have the patience / time for charging or dont believe that C02 has anything with the climate change that has a natural occurrence on this planet long before a german guy named Otto invented the internal combustion engine especially where EVā€™s produce more C02 than any gas or diesel engineā€¦Zero emission šŸ¤£ To answer the original posters question how the next Mustang looks like ? Only the lord knows but hopefully lighter , with a 5.8 V8 and maybe a electric flywheel to give it more Torque and hopefully some buttons or knobs instead of the awful touchscreensā€¦.šŸ¤žAnd of course a 6 spd manual with maybe a oil bath clutch to have best of both worlds fun to drive and capable for dragsā€¦Companies who bet the house on electric only because some idiots in the government say so will sinkā€¦IMHO

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
If s650 is the last gen of mustangs to have the v8, what will the following gens be?

So like will they all be EV? then will the regular mustangs be merged in with the mACH E?

Or will the MACH E be for people who want the suv experience while giving the regular mustang a full on electric performance car experience?

IDK tbh i am hesitant because I REALLY love the 5.0 engine and how it feels and drives and I have driven a MACH E and although i prefer it to a tesla, the electric cars inherently have the sterile feel that i really dislike.
S750, s850, etc.

Changing the power plant doesnā€™t nessitate a new model designation. E-boost and gt two different power plants same model.