• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

S650 Rear Styling Debate

Rear Styling: S650 VS S550

• I have no opinion. I know my place.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
The issues is as an aspiring designer, I don't see a single s650 cue that looks like the mach-e. The only part that gets close is the more sharply angled taillights. Even then, they're nothing alike.
that’s a good thing. I don’t see mustang taking from the Mach e either. My point was to debate those that want the mustang to borrow from an suv that already borrowed from it.

the s650 is as good of an s550+ as we could have hoped for in its design.
Sponsored

f00man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Minor gripes:
1. The plastic lower valance seems rather tall. I think the S550 proportions look better.
2. I'd prefer the panel between the taillights to be black. I think this looks really good on the S550. But this is extremely subjective and easily fixed with aftermarket.

Major gripe:
- The S650 taillights are too small. There's clearly space for them to extend lower on the bumper but Ford chose to have them rise upward.
1667584703017.png
The second pic looks WAAAAAY better. That's how it should have been designed. The puckered butt look of the current design is a downgrade from the S550.

Great redesign on that second pic. Wow.

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Dark Horse
The second pic looks WAAAAAY better. That's how it should have been designed. The puckered butt look of the current design is a downgrade from the S550.

Great redesign on that second pic. Wow.
Disagree, looks too much like an s550. I like the change.

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 HP Prior: 20 SS 1LE, 17 GT350
I personally haven’t liked a mustang spoiler since the GT350 track pack. Hoping to see some more dark horses without handling pack to make that call. With this change up read end…I’m curious if the little lip spoiler actually looks best to me.

93-Oct Mayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Exactly. If anything, that photoshop just accentuated how much more evolved the rear of the s650 is over the 550

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Minor gripes:
1. The plastic lower valance seems rather tall. I think the S550 proportions look better.
2. I'd prefer the panel between the taillights to be black. I think this looks really good on the S550. But this is extremely subjective and easily fixed with aftermarket.

Major gripe:
- The S650 taillights are too small. There's clearly space for them to extend lower on the bumper but Ford chose to have them rise upward.
1667584703017.png
yikes.
I mean, great skill o that photoshop, but that edit really makes it look old, outdated, and not nearly as aggressive or sophisticated. The taillights are already the perfect size and proportion,the height and concave space is just right as well. Also, the 650looks better without the black plastic in the middle. The 650 rear destroys the 550 in aesthetics and is a marked improvement. The editin the second photo just backdated it to look like a 550. The reader is the one area that ford got just right. The only thing they should do differently in revisions is to pick up the bottom portion of the diffuser and add some geometry or venting to cut into the Chonkiness of the plastic there.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
yikes.
I mean, great skill o that photoshop, but that edit really makes it look old, outdated, and not nearly as aggressive or sophisticated. The taillights are already the perfect size and proportion,the height and concave space is just right as well. Also, the 650looks better without the black plastic in the middle. The 650 rear destroys the 550 in aesthetics and is a marked improvement. The editin the second photo just backdated it to look like a 550. The reader is the one area that ford got just right. The only thing they should do differently in revisions is to pick up the bottom portion of the diffuser and add some geometry or venting to cut into the Chonkiness of the plastic there.
What really gets me is SketchMonkey added a hockey stick character line as well. But ford reintroduced the hockey stick on the s650 in the form of the line that zig zags up the front of the quarter panel, it's subtle, but I'm surprised people are missing it. So he layered a hockey stick over another hockey stick.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
What really gets me is SketchMonkey added a hockey stick character line as well. But ford reintroduced the hockey stick on the s650 in the form of the line that zig zags up the front of the quarter panel, it's subtle, but I'm surprised people are missing it. So he layered a hockey stick over another hockey stick.
sketchmonkey appeals to people that love generic shit, always find myself disagreeing with him

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I noticed it on the side, but the way it don’t just doesn’t fit the new lines. Cleaner without it. As you said it’s redundant.

that said, I’d love for that element to return at a higher location at some point. It’s been amustang design staple forever.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
That rear crease on the trunk and tail lights is one of the most appealing things about the new look to me, I love it. It is also fairly unique among current cars out there.

f00man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
That’s the saving grace of the design. Otherwise, it’s a clown-shoe with a split toe. The S650 design is a downgrade.

They should have left the 2015/2018 design team intact. But I get it, Ford wants to appeal to the GM, Mopar and Ford crowd now more than ever.

So this was the result. A convoluted design of all 3. Body lines of the Camaro, a more muscular Mopar front-end with the overall look of an S550. I even see Supra MKIV lines at certain angles. The bean counters at Ford calling the shots, instead of freely allowing the design team to usher in the next evolution of the Mustang.

Tonystark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang 4-Turbo w/Pony package
That rear crease on the trunk and tail lights is one of the most appealing things about the new look to me, I love it. It is also fairly unique among current cars out there.
The rear crease is ok and it is growing on me. The black around the lights needs to go away, however, or keep it and add black between the lights like the s550. Go one way or the other IMO.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang BULLITT
The rear is fine, its the front that IMO is a complete mess.

Tonystark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang 4-Turbo w/Pony package

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
I’m curious if the little lip spoiler actually looks best to me.
check out the California/Coastal spoiler. My GT has the PP1 which is a bit excessive, especially since it serves no aerodynamic purpose. I keep looking at the Red GT/PP1 with spoiler delete at Ourisman and it just looks wrong and unfinished.

I *LIKE* the extra hocky-stick. Thanks for pointing it out. Now just need to lose the giant diaper (at least make it 'flush' instead of sticking out 2+ inches. And carve the haunch behind the rear wheel centerline so it has a 'hip bone' instead of bulbous buttocks.
Sponsored

Last edited: