• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

S650 Rear Styling Debate

Rear Styling: S650 VS S550

• I have no opinion. I know my place.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
I noticed it on the side, but the way it don’t just doesn’t fit the new lines. Cleaner without it. As you said it’s redundant.

that said, I’d love for that element to return at a higher location at some point. It’s been amustang design staple forever.
It did return, the s650 has a hockey stick, it's just done in a more subtle way with the surfacing rather than a hard line. So I'm saying he layered a hockey stick over another hockey stick.
Sponsored

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
That’s the saving grace of the design. Otherwise, it’s a clown-shoe with a split toe. The S650 design is a downgrade.

They should have left the 2015/2018 design team intact. But I get it, Ford wants to appeal to the GM, Mopar and Ford crowd now more than ever.

So this was the result. A convoluted design of all 3. Body lines of the Camaro, a more muscular Mopar front-end with the overall look of an S550. I even see Supra MKIV lines at certain angles. The bean counters at Ford calling the shots, instead of freely allowing the design team to usher in the next evolution of the Mustang.
https://media.giphy.com/media/CsMDirQvw8AW4/giphy-downsized-large.gif

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
That’s the saving grace of the design. Otherwise, it’s a clown-shoe with a split toe. The S650 design is a downgrade.

They should have left the 2015/2018 design team intact. But I get it, Ford wants to appeal to the GM, Mopar and Ford crowd now more than ever.

So this was the result. A convoluted design of all 3. Body lines of the Camaro, a more muscular Mopar front-end with the overall look of an S550. I even see Supra MKIV lines at certain angles. The bean counters at Ford calling the shots, instead of freely allowing the design team to usher in the next evolution of the Mustang.
The front looks like nothing from Mopar lol

f00man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
The front looks like nothing from Mopar lol
I never said it did. Ford wanted a more aggressive look like a Mopar. Out of the Camaro, Mustang and Mopar, the Mopars have the most "muscle car" look. This is what Ford is going for with the new front design. Except that the Mopar look wayyyy better than the S650's. The Mopars front-end is actually attractive.

Again, Ford bean counters trying to penetrate the void ICE Mopar market.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
I never said it did. Ford wanted a more aggressive look like a Mopar. Out of the Camaro, Mustang and Mopar, the Mopars have the most "muscle car" look. This is what Ford is going for with the new front design. Except that the Mopar look wayyyy better than the S650's. The Mopars front-end is actually attractive.

Just going by your words “muscular Mopar front end.”

I think it looks 100%, distinctively Mustang up front. The S197s were muscular. The S550 wasn’t as much. Now the S650 looks like a beefy S550.

Any similarity to the Challenger/Charger is reaching for patterns imo.

Edit: in fact, one of the conceptual sketches for the ‘15 S550 in my profile pic looks closer to the S650 than the S550 at this point 🤷🏻‍♂️ if we’re strictly talking beefy shapes

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
as usual @OppoLock you're missing the point. The Challenger has a 'strength' to it that Ford is trying to cop to - not the shape of the Mopars, but the 'feelz' of the presentation. Staring at both my SCAT and Em's '16 in the rearview the Challenger has 'presence' and 'force'. The Mustang is no slouch but it doesn't have quite the same punch.

The S650 with all it's business and giant mouth and so forth is trying to imbue the front-end with the same kind of effect. Doesn't work for me.

f00man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Just going by your words “muscular Mopar front end.”

I think it looks 100%, distinctively Mustang up front. The S197s were muscular. The S550 wasn’t as much. Now the S650 looks like a beefy S550.

Any similarity to the Challenger/Charger is reaching for patterns imo.

Edit: in fact, one of the conceptual sketches for the ‘15 S550 in my profile pic looks closer to the S650 than the S550 at this point 🤷🏻‍♂️ if we’re strictly talking beefy shapes
The front-end is ugly, even compared to a Mopar. I'm still not sold on the Camaro body lines, and I like the 6th gen Camaros. The taillights are too subdued. On top of add a locked ECU with encrypted "full stacks", and this S650 is unappealing in all areas.

Oh wait, the not all areas, the full set of Brembos with color options are nice.

I got my GT in November, after the reveal. The S650 is a downgrade. I'm sure if I had a YouTube channel focused on the S650s, I would want it to be a success. Thankfully, my financial success is independent from Ford. 🙂

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 HP Prior: 20 SS 1LE, 17 GT350
There’s nothing wrong with your GT. It’s still a nice car. To say the S650 is a downgrade to your GT is a joke though. At BEST, your GT could be argued to be adjacent - a horizontal line relation. That’s giving you personal preference points in the looks department and iPad vs digital cluster debate. But new tech, more HP, more options on the brembos, optional heated/cooled brembos. You’re standing on a hill in rose-tinted glasses.

The front-end is ugly, even compared to a Mopar. I'm still not sold on the Camaro body lines, and I like the 6th gen Camaros. The taillights are too subdued. On top of add a locked ECU with encrypted "full stacks", and this S650 is unappealing in all areas.

Oh wait, the not all areas, the full set of Brembos with color options are nice.

I got my GT in November, after the reveal. The S650 is a downgrade. I'm sure if I had a YouTube channel focused on the S650s, I would want it to be a success. Thankfully, my financial success is independent from Ford. 🙂

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
Lol Jesus

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
It did return, the s650 has a hockey stick, it's just done in a more subtle way with the surfacing rather than a hard line. So I'm saying he layered a hockey stick over another hockey stick.
if that’s what it is, it’s not much different than what a Nissan maxima has.

I get where you’re coming from. I’m talking about themore pronounced, obvious design feature. Not a “squint until you see it” kind of thing. That edited photo has an extra larger one that doesn’t look so hot with the rest of the car. Just my humble opinion

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE

Dude, we get it, you just bought a GT at 42% apr.

Also, your 22 looks like shit. My opinion - sorry, not sorry.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer

Do mopars really look good though? The charger front end is essentially the same as the Durangos, aka one of the worst looking SUVs on sale right now.

The challenger is just a 1970 challenger blown up to 120% scale with virtually no design effort or creativity. I award it no points, and may God have mercy on it's soul.

The new charger ev actually looks pretty cool imo. Prob one of the best designs dodge has ever done. But it's a little too radical for some. We'll see how it ages.

The s650 front end is creative, while also very clearly being inspired by things like the '67-68 mustang. It's a very attractive and well executed front end, especially in gt form. It's modern, but muscular, fresh but familiar, futuristic and old school. It's what every muscle car design should aspire to be.

It pays tribute to the muscle cars of the past, while looking towards the future. Whereas the challenger design just feels like the "I remember" meme. The challenger is the high school jock who's now in their 50s, but keeps their old high school football jersey in their closet, and always dwells on the good old days. The mustang is the "I still got it" guy.

S650 Mustang S650 Rear Styling Debate dodge-charger-angle

S650 Mustang S650 Rear Styling Debate 1967-ford-mustang-shelby-gt-500-photo-456378-s-986x603

S650 Mustang S650 Rear Styling Debate 2024-Ford-Mustang-GT-nose-at-NAIAS-2022-1024x683

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 HP Prior: 20 SS 1LE, 17 GT350
You didn't just throw that punch....you crow-hopped into it like I used to before zinging it from right field wall to home plate :crackup:

Dude, we get it, you just bought a GT at 42% apr.

Also, your 22 looks like shit. My opinion - sorry, not sorry.
Sponsored