• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Both my vehicles are over 15 years old, and sit out in the sun all of the time, the black plastic (on both of them) is now a dark grey.
Ok, but it's plastic, so it should be relatively easy and cheap to replace it if you want to. Plus we've established it takes well over a decade for most modern plastics to fade.
Sponsored

JWS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 WW-50th LE Auto-0745-Grandé
GT rendering sent in from Zander13’s on YouTube. Includes the BMW style wheels that have been spotted across several test-mules. Safe to say the production model took cues from the Audi and BMW if it does indeed include that front end.

A2F0B9C0-99DB-4F41-A7CD-8399CC9E0ADE.jpeg
Don’t think the Huge Black Portion lends itself to the S197 Retro Look.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Don’t think the Huge Black Portion lends itself to the S197 Retro Look.
Yeah it's a pretty lazy effort isn't it? I mean the front probably took a lot of work, but everything from the front wheels back is S197.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Yeah it's a pretty lazy effort isn't it? I mean the front probably took a lot of work, but everything from the front wheels back is S197.
Isn't that rendering using an s550 body? Still lazy to rely on an existing design, but I can see why they did it.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Isn't that rendering using an s550 body? Still lazy to rely on an existing design, but I can see why they did it.
Oops, yeah you are right. Don't know what I was thinking.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Yeah, no. If I look through my response across the history of Mustang restyles, I don't see any aversion to change in my likes or dislikes. It's more about whether the restyle was appealing and whether the design feels true to the image or not.

Sorry, but a gaping, carp-lipped truck maw is not appealing or true to the image.
Exactly! I loved the 2005 and 2015 at first sight! The 2010/2011 design was a step backward in my view, and the 2013 was a step forward again. The 2018 refresh was very neutral, but a slight step backwards from the original s550. This one does not do it for me.

amk91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTP PP and 2014 SVT Raptor SE
Bro, those look nothing like the s550 in terms of the side view design. The s550 and those have long hoods and short deck lids, flared fenders, and some nice curves, that's about it. You're reaching here. My younger bro who knows basically nothing about cars could easily tell the f-type apart from an s550. If you can't, then you need to get your eyes checked.
I don't comment as much anymore, because due to the latest excitement with S650 news, a lot of fallacies and problematic claims have become a bit too common, for me to play whack-a-mole

I always heard people say that it was Aston Martin that Ford ripped off for the S550...

ASTONMARTINDBS-3793_1.jpg
I wouldn't say ripped off, but maybe took inspiration? (LOL) My cousin pointed this out to me, in his belief that the original Mustang looked similar to the DB4, then Aston Martin moved in a similar direction to the immediate successors of the DB5.

The DB7 was more of a Jaguar inspired car as we all know.

Kemal Curic in 2010 knew what was expected of the S550 design brief, in already (sneakily) seeing cars like the 2013 Fusion (Mondeo) already locked in.

What better way to bridge American muscle between Euro elegance? The lost elegance on the 2018, to go too sharp is what made things tricky and needing to grow on people.

A lot of folks also tried to deem the S550 as too milquetoast at reveal, because trying to marry elegance and finesse with aggression, is a hard compromise.

The Camaro couldn't do it, as it was cartoonishly butch and Challenger either not far behind and/or too much of a retro caricature.

This feedback rang in the ears of Ford Design, newly under Moray Callum in 2014. They rushed to fix it, for the loud naysayers calling it a Fusion coupe. By the end of 2015, the current version was approved quietly for 2018.

Since the Moray Callum was in charge of the design of S550 and his brother Ian Callum designed the DB9... The whole bodylines of the S550 are pretty much 1:1 copied from the DB9.
1651473667030.png
Ian Callum oversaw design of the original DB9 from the summer of 2000 to September 2001, but that got reworked by Henrik Fisker in the fall of 2001 to become "less cluttered".

However, was Moray Callum really in charge of S550? I recall J Mays stepping down in early 2014, some 2 years after basic sign-off for S550 exterior and interior.

I know it's a team effort, but I do wonder his role at Ford was during S550 development from 2009 to 2012.

Last edited:

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I don't comment as much anymore, because due to the latest excitement with S650 news, a lot of fallacies and problematic claims have become a bit too common, for me to play whack-a-mole

Ian Callum oversaw design of the original DB9 from the summer of 2000 to September 2001, but that got reworked by Henrik Fisker in the fall of 2001 to become "less cluttered".

However, was Moray Callum really in charge of S550? I recall J Mays stepping down in early 2014, some 2 years after basic sign-off for S550 exterior and interior.

I know it's a team effort, but I do wonder his role at Ford was during S550 development from 2009 to 2012.

I've often wondered this myself. We all know Kemal Curic "penned" S550.........but Moray Callum would have been his boss when S550 debuted. As global design director (or whatever Mr Callum's job title was) I do wonder if he ever pens any designs himself, or just gives direction and approval.

I actually met Moray at the 50th Anniversary Gala Dinner in Vegas, but it was just to shake his hand with no opportunity to ask questions.

amk91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTP PP and 2014 SVT Raptor SE
I've often wondered this myself. We all know Kemal Curic "penned" S550.........but Moray Callum would have been his boss when S550 debuted. As global design director (or whatever Mr Callum's job title was) I do wonder if he ever pens any designs himself, or just gives direction and approval.

I actually met Moray at the 50th Anniversary Gala Dinner in Vegas, but it was just to shake his hand with no opportunity to ask questions.
He doesn't pen anything anymore. Maybe not since the 2000s or 90s. His role at Ford since the late 2000s, it's vague.

J Mays stepped down in January 2014, right after he revealed the 2015 Mustang on December 6, 2013. However since 1997, he hasn't had any involvement. Per some research, J Mays hasn't personally designed any car exteriors for nearly 30 years, including his time at VW.

It's always someone else under them, but they make the big decisions though and handle the executives/board. What confuses me is, they say Curic's proposal won management selection in December 2010 via Cologne Germany and Curic moved in January 2011 to Dearborn.

Curic got promoted then, but to what exact position? I think he became charge of S550 in reality, with some people working under him as well all of a sudden.

The January 2012 final review of 3 proposals in red, feels like Curic was in charge of guiding all of them and not just the winning choice. Even then, more oomph was desired and they didn't fully get absolute approval on the winning choice until summer of 2012, then delayed design freeze around Thanksgiving 2012.

It's all very murky.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
He doesn't pen anything anymore. Maybe not since the 2000s or 90s. His role at Ford since the late 2000s, it's vague.

J Mays stepped down in January 2014, right after he revealed the 2015 Mustang on December 6, 2013. However since 1997, he hasn't had any involvement. Per some research, J Mays hasn't personally designed any car exteriors for nearly 30 years, including his time at VW.

It's always someone else under them, but they make the big decisions though and handle the executives/board. What confuses me is, they say Curic's proposal won management selection in December 2010 via Cologne Germany and Curic moved in January 2011 to Dearborn.

Curic got promoted then, but to what exact position? I think he became charge of S550 in reality, with some people working under him as well all of a sudden.

The January 2012 final review of 3 proposals in red, feels like Curic was in charge of guiding all of them and not just the winning choice. Even then, more oomph was desired and they didn't fully get absolute approval on the winning choice until summer of 2012, then delayed design freeze around Thanksgiving 2012.

It's all very murky.

Thank you. Your insights are always very much appreciated :)

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer

From my understanding, I don't believe really any design managers/leaders pen designs anymore, which is unfortunate, sounds like it would take a lot of enjoyment out of the job.

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
S650 Mustang S650 Mustang GT Full Frontal Leak!! 📸 1652133999879

Yeah, that looks awful... Like a cartoonish Audi TT or a matchbox car... Those proportions are well off... This render doesn't do the possible S650 design a favor...

Anyhow, so far we haven't really heard from any features that require a new version... Something like AWD, driving dynamics or a well implemented hybrid system. I'm getting a little bit disappointed that so far all we have are some minor exterior changes and some more significant interior changes that do however look fairly generic. A refresh could’ve done that…
I’m curious when the first viable information regarding the actual driving experience will emerge… So no AWD? How do they implement the hybrid system then? The GT is already struggling for traction and greatly increasing the HP and NM on the rear axle will not help. Besides, what kind of hybrid can we expect anyways? Mild hybrid like BMW? Would require minimal effort and could have a significant effect on the emissions so that Ford could boost the Gen 4 Coyote to the next level (480-520hp). Will it be the 2022 F150s Hybrid setup “3.5L PowerBoost™ full hybrid V6 engine putting out a commanding 430 horsepower and 570 lb.-ft. of torque?” If so they can keep it. Even if they push the numbers to 500 hp and 600nm I wouldn’t be interested. V8 or nothing. Or do we get what the old patent from around 2017 showed: V8 powered with a proper electric motor?

So far my impression is that Ford is putting very limited effort into this Mustang… Maybe/Hopefully I’m totally wrong but a less powerful V8, a generic interior and a hybrid V6 does not sound compelling at all.
Sponsored