• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
Exactly, a design that's loved by everyone upon being revealed is generally seen as being just ok years later. Good design pushes boundaries.
Porsche would disagree as well as BMW (except the 4Series and the M3/4 front)...
Just look at the cybertruck or the M3/4... all with outstanding designs but they're all aweful. The 3series or the 911 992 look absolutely fantastic and will be loved in the future as well.

My point being is that a design can grow on someone as well as it can look outdated fairly soon (looking at u Audi). However, if a car is bad looking from the get go it perceives mixed Feedback from the press and the audience.
Sponsored

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Porsche would disagree as well as BMW (except the 4Series and the M3/4 front)...
Just look at the cybertruck or the M3/4... all with outstanding designs but they're all aweful. The 3series or the 911 992 look absolutely fantastic and will be loved in the future as well.

My point being is that a design can grow on someone as well as it can look outdated fairly soon (looking at u Audi). However, if a car is bad looking from the get go it perceives mixed Feedback from the press and the audience.
We'll look at something like the 996 911. That car was hated for years after it came out, mostly the headlights. But it has a strong cult following now, because it looks a little unique compared to other 911s.

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red

That's like, your opinion, man.

And the guy that said that as Chris Bangle from BMW who got lambasted for his forward thinking designs, which I think - especially looking back - were waaaay ahead of their time.

And you bring up a hood example with the new M3/4 cars and that grille.

I like it cause it's f'in crazy. Most people think they're ugly.

edit: the cyber truck is ass.

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
That's like, your opinion, man.

And the guy that said that as Chris Bangle from BMW who got lambasted for his forward thinking designs, which I think - especially looking back - were waaaay ahead of their time.

And you bring up a hood example with the new M3/4 cars and that grille.

I like it cause it's f'in crazy. Most people think they're ugly.

edit: the cyber truck is ass.
There’s no shortage of controversial BMW design elements. Feels like every few years there’s a new one.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Along with others more qualified than myself, I feel that a design that you accept as attractive upon first sight is already old and dated.

To be truly new and different, a design needs to not use currently employed design cues. It should shock the senses when you first see it.

IMO.
A great design will look amazing every time you look at it. Day one or 50 years later. '67 Mustang fastback. Dodge Challenger.

Exactly, a design that's loved by everyone upon being revealed is generally seen as being just ok years later. Good design pushes boundaries.
Disagree.

We'll look at something like the 996 911. That car was hated for years after it came out, mostly the headlights. But it has a strong cult following now, because it looks a little unique compared to other 911s.
The only reason people buy them is they can afford them (and the mechanicals are still great). Those things are and will always be ugly and one of the easier/cheaper 911s to buy.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
A great design will look amazing every time you look at it. Day one or 50 years later. '67 Mustang fastback. Dodge Challenger.

Disagree.

The only reason people buy them is they can afford them (and the mechanicals are still great). Those things are and will always be ugly and one of the easier/cheaper 911s to buy.
Well we can agree to disagree. I've never found the challenger to be beautiful lol. The current one has terrible side and rear view proportions imo with it's plus sized booty. But that's design for ya, it's not cut and dry. One man's Jaguar e-type is the next ones aztek.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Well we can agree to disagree. I've never found the challenger to be beautiful lol. The current one has terrible side and rear view proportions imo with it's plus sized booty. But that's design for ya, it's not cut and dry. One man's Jaguar e-type is the next ones aztek.
You can be a contrarian, but most people like the look of the Challenger, just like most people dislike the M4 grills.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
You can be a contrarian, but most people like the look of the Challenger, just like most people dislike the M4 grills.
I'm not trying to be a contrarian, I just genuinely don't like the design. Most people I've talked to like the design like it because it's retro, ok, but is it attractive? I say no the front end is nice, that's about it. Liking it just because it's retro doesn't mean it's a good design. The original challenger was an ok looking muscle car, not the worst looking muscle car ever, but certainly not a knockout like the '67 mustang fastback. I actually think the '67-'68 cuda and the charger were the best looking cars made by Chrysler in the 60s. Notchbacks never looked that good to me.

The modern challenger takes an ok design, and makes it lumpy, and fat. It reminds me of some out of shape 40 year old who still wears his football jersey from highschool or college with his bear belly sticking out. The Wrangler is one of the oddest and ugliest looking SUVs on the roads imo, much worse looking that the new bronco. That's because it was inspired by a military vehicle which wasn't designed with beauty, proportion, or flow in mind, it was designed as a tool. But because an ugly SUV looks like another ugly SUV from the 40s, a lot of people say it's a good design.

I'm sorry, but I, and a growing number of others are getting tired of retro design. I have no desire to see car brands replay the 60s and 70s greatest hits for the rest of time, give us something new. The s550 was a great example, top three best looking muscle cars ever imo, slightly retro, but also modern and gorgeous. Great proportions, beautiful curves, and just enough elements of retro spice to pay tribute to the mustangs past. The textbook example of how to do retro muscle car design as far as I'm concerned.

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
You know what they say, there's no accounting for taste.

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
There’s no shortage of controversial BMW design elements. Feels like every few years there’s a new one.
because their designers have to justify their job, and marketing went to the same school of "you have to have something new all the time to get press" when leaving good enough the F alone is how the rest of the world/consumers operate. We see this utter nonsense in software too - kids rewriting battle-tested software with some buzzword-compliant tool/language and filling it with thousands of new (well, more properly recycled) bugs that break stuff left, right and center just because they can say "look at me".

GD, there is precious little that hasn't been done and solved already. Go find something USEFUL to do.

How do Honda and Kia mop the floor in auto sales? Their designers aren't on crack. And they don't (well didn't) just #metoo every dumb-ass notion that comes out of design schools desperately trying to stay "provocative" because they don't know the difference between relevant+insightful and boorish and obnoxious.

Last edited:

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We'll look at something like the 996 911. That car was hated for years after it came out, mostly the headlights.
headlights? Seriously? The car looks like a featureless blob. That's why people don't like it. The headlights aren't in the top 20 of what's wrong with that car's looks.

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The s550 was a great example, top three best looking muscle cars ever imo, slightly retro, but also modern and gorgeous. Great proportions, beautiful curves, and just enough elements of retro spice to pay tribute to the mustangs past. The textbook example of how to do retro muscle car design as far as I'm concerned.
all Ford did was rip off the Jag. I see absolutely NOTHING in the S550 that harkens back to Mustang of yore. Zilch. (and spare me the tri-bar tail light blather) The S197 on the other hand clearly harkens back.

The modern Challenger is indeed big, it is indeed a bit blocky and slab-sided. No it's not "pretty" or "beautiful" but it is plenty nice to look at and stirs up "desire".

There's plenty of old stuff on Mecum that I think looks bad or plain silly - Gen 1/2 Corvettes, 50's cars, send them all to the crusher. The Bronco new and old is forgettable.

Last edited:

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
all Ford did was rip off the Jag. I see absolutely NOTHING in the S550 that harkens back to Mustang of yore. Zilch. (and spare me the tri-bar tail light blather) The S197 on the other hand clearly harkens back.

The modern Challenger is indeed big, it is indeed a bit blocky and slab-sided. No it's not "pretty" or "beautiful" but it is plenty nice to look at and stirs up "desire".

There's plenty of old stuff on Mecum that I think looks bad or plain silly - Gen 1/2 Corvettes, 50's cars, send them all to the crusher. The Bronco new and old is forgettable.
I see a modern interpretation of the '67 in the s550. Just because it's curvy doesn't mean it looks like a jag lol. I'd actually argue a car with bulging and flared surfaces looks more muscular than a slab sided box.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It's amazing how differently people perceive the same object when looking at it. I do see a little '67 Mustang (more '69 though) design in the rear of the S550, but the front catfish mouth doesn't seem nostalgic at all. I don't really see Jag or Aston Martin in the Mustang either. Maybe the slightest hint, but they are very different.

And I also think the Challenger looks very modern. I saw three or four on the road today and I just enjoy looking at them. There are definitely a lot more Challengers around here than Mustangs. They have some retro styling touches and similarities, but to me they aren't retro designs as a whole. There is no chrome or trim moldings, the headlights don't look like an old headlight, nothing on the car really looks like it is an old car.

I don't see retro that much in these designs, to be honest. I see character. Like the new Bronco. They are really good looking, but they look nothing like an old Bronco. It's a modern interpretation of a great old design.

I'm asking for people to post up modern car designs that they really like. What I notice IMO is almost all new cars are jelly beans (SUV) or fists (pickups).

My 86 I think is decent looking, but it's pretty bland. And it seems like 95% of Subarus on the road have that same U on its side tail light shape. I guess bland is better than ugly. I mostly like the car because it's the right size for a sporty vehicle.