• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
I had not seen it 100% confirmed anywhere until now (unless it was and I just missed it), Ed Krenz recently told Ford Authority that the "entire stack" on S650 will be locked down.

See article here:​
S650 FORD MUSTANG WILL BE MORE DIFFICULT FOR THIRD PARTIES TO TUNE
ā€œMuch more difficult,ā€ Ford Mustang Chief Engineer Ed Krenz told Ford Authority Executive Editor, Alex Luft, in a recent interview when asked if it would be difficult for third parties to tune the S650 Ford Mustang. Krenz explained that the seventh-generation Mustang uses the automakerā€™s new Fully-Networked Vehicle (FNV) electrical architecture, which brings various benefits like over-the-air updates and much-needed cybersecurity to the iconic pony car, but it also largely locks down the vehicle from being tuned as well.​
As Ford Authority was the first to report back in December 2020, FoMoCoā€™s FNV electrical architecture has long been expected to make life more difficult for third party tuners in general, though thatā€™s simply a byproduct of the automakerā€™s attempts to keep user data ā€“ and their vehicles ā€“ safe from ever-growing hacking threats. Krenz and other S650 engineers explained that the entire stack on the S650 is encrypted, including the ECU. This means that if the system detects a ā€œbreakā€ in authentication, it will shut it down ā€“ or shut down components of the vehicle. So even if someone were to modify one of these engines, they wouldnā€™t be able to actually tune the car to take full advantage of it.​
However, Ford remains open to collaborating with tuners looking to modify vehicles like the S650, and this doesnā€™t prevent it from offering performance enhancements or tunes for the turbocharged Ford 2.3L I-4 EcoBoost or naturally-aspirated Ford 5.0L V8 Coyote itself, as it has been doing via Ford Performance for the Ford Explorer ST crossover, Ford Bronco SUV, and Ford Ranger pickup for some time now, as well as a offering supercharger kit for the Ford F-150, which it partnered with Whipple to create.​

This is official confirmation from what's been circling around since 7/14. I say that because Jim Farley seemed to suggest on a recent podcast that custom tuning would be available, but that's clear now that he was probably referring to Ford's closes aftermarket partners - Shelby, Roush, Saleen, etc.

With that said, I believe Ford should offer a custom tuning initiative whereby any shop can request to become a certified tuner as long as they meet X requirements. It's clear that Ford's new cars have to be locked down for cybersecurity reasons due in large part to over the air updates. Why can't third party shops request clearance along the lines of Shelby, etc. to allow them to tune S650? Food for thought.
Sponsored

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
Nothingā€™s uncrackable but modern-day locked ECUs have been taking upwards of 1-2 years before being cracked. Aftermarket tunes will probably be bare for awhile.

Itā€™s taken the VAG crowd a full 2 years to crack the EA888 Gen IV in the MK8 Golfs despite it being extremely similar to the Gen III in the MK7s.

Same with the C8ā€™s ECU. Released over 2 years ago and is ā€œsupposedlyā€ cracked by at least one company while others are still working on it.

Classic Lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F250 Super Duty SOLD
Nothingā€™s uncrackable but modern-day locked ECUs have been taking upwards of 1-2 years before being cracked. Aftermarket tunes will probably be bare for awhile.

Itā€™s taken the VAG crowd a full 2 years to crack the EA888 Gen IV in the MK8 Golfs despite it being extremely similar to the Gen III in the MK7s.

Same with the C8ā€™s ECU. Released over 2 years ago and is ā€œsupposedlyā€ cracked by at least one company while others are still working on it.
Maybe so but with the car constantly being connected and with over the air updates it will likely be a real problem to tune these cars. These updates will likely flash the car back to stock if itā€™s tuned by an aftermarket that ford doesnā€™t approve for the car.

I hope Iā€™m wrong.

OP
OP
because_murica

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Maybe so but with the car constantly being connected and with over the air updates it will likely be a real problem to tune these cars. These updates will likely flash the car back to stock if itā€™s tuned by an aftermarket that ford doesnā€™t approve for the car.

I hope Iā€™m wrong.
Even if updates flash calibrations back to stock, you would still likely have to manually approve each update before it downloads and installs, like you do on the C8. So, it would be up to the owner if they want to keep their car up to date with Ford's updates for navigations, bug fixes, etc. - or keep their car running a custom tune.

OP
OP
because_murica

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
The bitter irony of Ford's new Fully-Networked Vehicle (FNV) electrical architecture is that it touts cybersecurity as a main reason for its implementation - when, really, the best thing they could do for cybersecurity is NOT have a car connected to a nationwide or worldwide network.

This shit is like Sky Net for cars šŸ˜‚

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Seems like as said above, the best approach to ā€œkeep the peaceā€ with mustang fans would be to have a certification program where third party tuners can apply to be certified for access. A few disclaimers and statements about what consequences and ramifications can be expected with signatures should be all it takes to make it all good with the lawyers.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Seems like as said above, the best approach to ā€œkeep the peaceā€ with mustang fans would be to have a certification program where third party tuners can apply to be certified for access. A few disclaimers and statements about what consequences and ramifications can be expected with signatures should be all it takes to make it all good with the lawyers.
perfect solution. Simple too - apart from agendas getting in the way.

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 5.0 Performance Pack convertible, Rapid Red
The bitter irony of Ford's new Fully-Networked Vehicle (FNV) electrical architecture is that it touts cybersecurity as a main reason for its implementation - when, really, the best thing they could do for cybersecurity is NOT have a car connected to a nationwide or worldwide network.

The first time Sync asks me if I'm Sarah Connor I'm buying a Camaro.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS

Hereā€™s the part I do not get. We are all personally connected to a worldwide network. Itā€™s called the internet. So why this insane concern about our cars. Privacy is a myth. Once we realize that connected cars will no longer be an issue.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
This is a great idea but at what cost to the tuners. Back when I worked for Panasonicā€™s business telephone division we had two types of systemā€™s. Analog systems that could be bought and installed by anyone and digital systems that required certification. This entailed a three day class at a Panasonic location and cost I think around $800.00. For a lot of dealers it was worth the time and money, thereā€™s not so much.

For the larger tuners, Lund, Livernois, and PBD it may be worth it. For your local guy maybe not. Also, we know that tune improvements for the Gen 3 engine were minimal without E85. We will have to wait and see what a tune for a S650 looks like.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Itā€™s good for Ford. They will have more exclusivity with tunes/upgrades and less people tampering with their cars. Often, aftermarket solutions are hokey and questionable in regard to passing inspections. The federal govt is taking ā€œfor off-road use onlyā€ more serious, and it wonā€™t get any better in the future for cowboy modders. I can see a future where we will either have a factory performance upgrade or a ā€œcertifiedā€ (CARB approved or the like) kitted solution by a third party. But that is only as long as we are burning fuel. With EVs, end-user emissions concerns go away. As long as we are using gasoline there will always be people who will find a way to skirt regulations because ā€˜Murica. Way back in the 1980s, magazine writers even then were talking about modding coming to an end but the aftermarket endured, because people who want to make money are clever. But now, the feds are getting more punitive. How many tuners will continue to stick their necks out?

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 HP Prior: 20 SS 1LE, 17 GT350
Nothing to lose sleep over. These cars are quite capable as they come. Get good and familiar with it while the aftermarket takes 1-2 years to crack it, if you even care to tune it.

Reactions: DRB

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 GT vert A10 / ā€˜23 Mach 1 A10 / ā€˜23 Mach 1 6MT
Hereā€™s what itā€™s quickly coming down to: buy what you want and think youā€™ll need when you first purchase your car because you arenā€™t gonna get any more. Get used to the idea!

Signed,

Captain Obvious

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150
I'm not going to be the one to drag my S650 or run it on a road course. For me the stock 500ish HP Ford is putting in the Coyote will be plenty. I appreciate the idea that Ford may work with tuners in the future to allow other Mustang owners the capability to tune their cars, but this isn't something I worry about. This will definitely not deter me from being one of the first at my local dealer ordering my '24 Mustang Dark Horse.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Velocity Blue Mach 1
Hereā€™s the part I do not get. We are all personally connected to a worldwide network. Itā€™s called the internet. So why this insane concern about our cars. Privacy is a myth. Once we realize that connected cars will no longer be an issue.
Itā€™s not all about privacyā€¦. Iā€™m in technology for the past (lots of) years. This isnā€™t good for reasons we havenā€™t even thought of yetā€¦..Everything you own is becoming exploitable which is dangerous.
Sponsored

Last edited: