• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Stevefreestyle

Blue Blood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Velocity Blue GT 10Sp Auto
Tough crowd
Well (unless I missed it) he failed to mention any of this even basic information:

"To meet this goal, Ford created a new set of cylinder heads, upgraded all four of the camshafts, and implemented a dual air intake box with dual 80mm throttle bodies. While a unique approach to air acquisition, the twin 80mm throttle bodies minimize induction loss by enabling higher air flow rates. This strategy is biased towards one opening at low RPM and load, but then the two work together and sync up on the way to wide open throttle. "

2024 S650 Ford Mustang GT To Be Powered By Gen-4 Coyote (fordmuscle.com)
Sponsored

Patio208

GT350 Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500 #L2287
Well (unless I missed it) he failed to mention any of this even basic information:

"To meet this goal, Ford created a new set of cylinder heads, upgraded all four of the camshafts, and implemented a dual air intake box with dual 80mm throttle bodies. While a unique approach to air acquisition, the twin 80mm throttle bodies minimize induction loss by enabling higher air flow rates. This strategy is biased towards one opening at low RPM and load, but then the two work together and sync up on the way to wide open throttle. "

2024 S650 Ford Mustang GT To Be Powered By Gen-4 Coyote (fordmuscle.com)
I'm not here to defend Ford, but this reveal has been a slow roll out of information by design. There's a ton of details we still don't know, and we won't know for a few months. We've all been here before. These manufacturers tend to string us along until they're ready to lift the embargo. I've been following the Z06 reveal for a year now and we still don't have any reviews or test numbers until sometime in November.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
The more I read about the Dark Horse Mustang , the more I am getting to like the Dark Horse name. I am all for Ford bringing in a new name for a Mustang model. Let the new Dark Horse Mustang set new standards for a Mustang and make a new legend in performance.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
I'm not here to defend Ford, but this reveal has been a slow roll out of information by design. There's a ton of details we still don't know, and we won't know for a few months. We've all been here before. These manufacturers tend to string us along until they're ready to lift the embargo. I've been following the Z06 reveal for a year now and we still don't have any reviews or test numbers until sometime in November.
It took like six months for Ford to release figures for the S550. Reveal was sometime in early December 2013. Full figures and specs got posted in July 2014. I remember that wait all too well.

So that means it could take up until April, but there's no reason Ford has to follow suit with last time so just a total guess.

Reactions: JWS

Shelbeast

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500 and MME-GT
Ed Krenz, chief engineer of the S650 Mustang was interviewed on the Mecum On the Move podcast where he talked a little about S650 development, including the 4th gen V8 Coyote 5.0, EcoBoost and the Dark Horse model.

Link to podcast: https://soundcloud.com/onthemovewithmecum

Some highlights:
  • Engineers didn't modify any parts that were "tried and true and fit for purpose" -- such as the engine block
  • Engineers focused on upgrading upper-end components, such as airflow and twin 80mm throttle bodies, which are “ducting air symmetrically from both of the nostrils. Which is unique to the GT upper grille.” Such improvements improved the engine’s performance but also the S650's fuel efficiency.
  • Dark Horse was introduced to represent a new performance variant of the Mustang, rather than repeating a nameplate that already existed.
  • The "Dark Horse" name was aptly named because it's an unexpected model that nobody saw coming... and that would not only compete, but something that would “compete to win.” says Krenz.
  • Dark Horse model's extra power comes from parts borrowed from other performance models like the Shelby GT500 -- like the connecting rods which allowed engineers to "push the cylinder pressures that much more" for the Dark Horse.
    Dark Horse also uses the GT350 and Mach 1 Tremec 6 speed manual transmission.
  • Drift brake feature was developed with the help and input of Vaughn Gittin Jr.
Sounds like fluff and excuses.

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
I seriously doubt they would limit a HP number just to keep it under a previous generations HP figure.
that's exactly what they do though. they're thinking long term, the moment they raise to a given number people will want more the next year. if they can rationalize holding back it benefits them to do so.

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
1, Lulz as if google search results means anything. How many of those results are the Katy Perry song Dark Horse? Maybe that's it, really they don't wanna admit they just REALLY love Katy Perry.

2, literally don't care about that old ass story, heard it 5000000 times. If anything its still more creative than the dumb ass thing behind why "dark horse" was picked. "an unexpected model that nobody saw coming" So what? Is this the Spanish Inquisition of Mustangs? again its NOT that no one saw it coming its that people thought the leaks were about the GT. The fact you hid the NAME is not impressive when everyone already read that 500 HP and the tremec was coming and expected it for the GT. If anything all they did was disappoint people that wanted those specs for a GT.. wooo. I'm impressed.....no not really.

3, Darkhorse is a shit name. period. end. Shit could run 10's show room stock and wont make the NAME any better.
the expression has existed for nearly 200 years in the english language

you are wrong.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang BULLITT
the expression has existed for nearly 200 years in the english language

you are wrong.
And what point did I say it didn't exist? Please. Quote me.

spectremotorsports

Consultant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Emma" 17 GT/PP Grabber Blue/Black roof
The fact you hid the NAME is not impressive when everyone already read that 500 HP and the tremec was coming and expected it for the GT. If anything all they did was disappoint people that wanted those specs for a GT.. wooo. I'm impressed.....no not really.
My mind is legitimately boggled at people being "disappointed" because they didn't get something that they entirely speculated in the first place.

It's even more boggling that we live in a world where Ford can put out a
500+ horsepower mustang with GT500 brakes that isn't even the top of the model range(presumably) that also comes with magnetic suspension, heated and cooled (and seemingly power adjustable)Recaros, digital cockpit, the option for an A10 in a performance model, a seemingly kick ass sounding exhaust...

..and yet it's somehow a disappointment because they had the audacity to try a new name rather than keep rehashing the same thing...🤦‍♂️

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
My mind is legitimately boggled at people being "disappointed" because they didn't get something that they entirely speculated in the first place.

500+ horsepower mustang with GT500 brakes that isn't even the top of the model range(presumably) that also comes with magnetic suspension, heated and cooled (and seemingly power adjustable)Recaros, digital cockpit, the option for an A10 in a performance model, a seemingly kick ass sounding exhaust...

..and yet it's somehow a disappointment because they had the audacity to try a new name rather than keep rehashing the same thing...🤦‍♂️
Don't forget the digital dash dude. How dare they appeal to a greater demographic.

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive

Or people are disappointed because most parts are carry overs from a cheaper S550 and are now marketed as a "new" feature, including a higher price...
I didn't expect more HP or more GT500 parts but the car will literally arrive in 2024 in Europe and all you get for ~60K€ is a refreshed S550 that doesn't offer basic features like a 360 camera, optional HUD, electronic tailgates and such. Not to mention AWD or a hybrid option...

Besides those speculated missing features the S650 will most likely not do any crazy or even good numbers... the GT will have <500hp, more like 480 and will do 0-100 in roughly 4.5 seconds I assume... A cheaper BMW M340i will do 4.1 while having a nicer interior...

Some infos are speculation and we don't know everything yet but beeing boggled by some Recaro features that should've been there from the get go or from some left over brakes is mind-boggling to me... I think what most people, me included, is bothering is the fact that the S650 could've been the a worthy successor to the most beloved S550. But instead of going all out on the best selling sports car in the world Ford is cutting corners left and right and the result is, at least for us in Europe, a heavily overpriced S550 with new sheet metal and an updated interior.

spectremotorsports

Consultant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Emma" 17 GT/PP Grabber Blue/Black roof
the GT will have <500hp, more like 480 and will do 0-100 in roughly 4.5 seconds I assume... A cheaper BMW M340i will do 4.1 while having a nicer interior...
I'm not sure why you think the s650 version of the GT would have the exact same power as it's predecessor AND be slower in the 0-60. We already have 480 and 4.2 0-60...

The M340i is a great car but that's also apples and oranges. A lux-performance saloon vs a muscle car isn't really an apt comparison.

Vertex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I keep reading people comparing all the different Mustangs they've been doing and this should have been that and what not. I almost wouldn't be surprised if they did something with this last stretch of ICE cars and doing another Bullitt/Mach 1/Boss all at the same time.

Here is your last table of these cars. Pick the one you want cause they won't be coming back with anything that isn't electric to push the car down the road.

Hopefully I'm wrong though
Sponsored