• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Vickstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT
S650 FORD MUSTANG CHIEF ENGINEER EXPLAINS ‘NIGHT AND DAY’ DIFFERENCE FROM BEFORE

https://www.musclecarsandtrucks.com/s650-ford-mustang-chassis-steering-handling-ed-krenz-interview/

Some highlights / quotes:

“The most impactful thing is the steering and handling of the seventh generation. It’s night and day compared to the current model.” Krenz stated. “The current model balances things like noise and vibration, steering precision, and other factors. For S650, we really wanted to eliminate any compromises from a steering perspective.”

“Starting with the steering wheel, your touch point for the steering system. Obviously, a flat bottom steering wheel, but also a bigger circumference rim. Actually, it’s the biggest that we’ve done, even compared to Shelby products. Talking about the section (not the wheel itself). And we increase that as we go up the performance pyramid. In this case, we just went to the base car with the biggest section of a steering wheel we’ve done, and it’s just about how it fits in your hands and maximizes grip and comfort.”

“Then you walk down the steering column, and the current model has a joint in there that’s there for vibration. We removed that from the S650 product. Then we increased the steering gear ratio as well as upgraded the overall steering rack capacity. So it makes a much quicker, nimble feeling car to drive.” Krenz explained.

“In terms of suspension, they did the high-end MagneRide dampers, which have the next-generation control system that we’ve evolved with some learnings from Raptor programs,” said Krenz. “The base car has a new supplier of tube shocks… The breaking system; we migrated to electronic brake boost … so you can tune the brake pedal response, and there was a lot of effort into getting what a standard Ford electronic brake pedal feel might be on something like an Explorer and bringing that into what we think a performance car or sports car needs to feel like.”

“We also went to electronic park brake from mechanical park brake for this product, again by wire. That enabled us to do a couple of cool things, including the ultimate evolution of the Drift Brake. Which is, sort of, next-level unexpected.”
Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1
This could be a biggy for me. After coming out of a BMW E92 M3 that is something I sorely miss. Yes the current S550 handles very well, particularly when modded. Its just that the steering never felt so precise. I never got to drive a GT350 or a GT500 so I can only go on what I know, which is my Ford Performance Track kit equipped Mustang.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
YES. Literally tied for my number one wishlist of improvements (alongside ditching the MT82 and fixing the general chassis and damper tuning).

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
This could be a biggy for me. After coming out of a BMW E92 M3 that is something I sorely miss. Yes the current S550 handles very well, particularly when modded. Its just that the steering never felt so precise. I never got to drive a GT350 or a GT500 so I can only go on what I know, which is my Ford Performance Track kit equipped Mustang.
The steering in the 350 and 500 might as well be from a different car. I would legitimately put $1000 down on a bet that someone blindfolded and ear plugged would not be able to guess that they are even remotely the same chassis based on steering alone. Had both a GT PP and GT350.

Stevefreestyle

Blue Blood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Velocity Blue GT 10Sp Auto
S650 FORD MUSTANG CHIEF ENGINEER EXPLAINS ‘NIGHT AND DAY’ DIFFERENCE FROM BEFORE

https://www.musclecarsandtrucks.com/s650-ford-mustang-chassis-steering-handling-ed-krenz-interview/

Some highlights / quotes:

“The most impactful thing is the steering and handling of the seventh generation. It’s night and day compared to the current model.” Krenz stated. “The current model balances things like noise and vibration, steering precision, and other factors. For S650, we really wanted to eliminate any compromises from a steering perspective.”

“Starting with the steering wheel, your touch point for the steering system. Obviously, a flat bottom steering wheel, but also a bigger circumference rim. Actually, it’s the biggest that we’ve done, even compared to Shelby products. Talking about the section (not the wheel itself). And we increase that as we go up the performance pyramid. In this case, we just went to the base car with the biggest section of a steering wheel we’ve done, and it’s just about how it fits in your hands and maximizes grip and comfort.”........."
I hope he is referring to a Thicker Rim and NOT a bigger circumference / Diameter Wheel !! Hopefully it is also a smaller diameter wheel.

Rocketman

Keep it stupid, stupid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPPPPPP
Yep, and Isn't his ma-nglish great. Sausage Sizzle Ambiguity and an absence of supportive detail.
He gave about as much detail as he could for a vehicle that isn't launching for almost another year.

This dude also happens to be the chief engineer and not some rando PM, so he probably knows what he's talking about.

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GT
Improving handling compared to the S550 is not exactly rocket science. Magneride did significantly mask its shortcomings, but the car requires half the Steeda catalog to make it drive well.

Last edited:

Tursey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 525
Sorry but I don´t understanf how it is supossed to be an improvement a steering wheel with a bigger circunference and a higher steering gear ratio lol... It could be if the car were a truck, but not for a sporty car

Am I misunderstanding anything?

Murfstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Explorer ST, 2021 VW GTI
Sorry but I don´t understanf how it is supossed to be an improvement a steering wheel with a bigger circunference and a higher steering gear ratio lol... It could be if the car were a truck, but not for a sporty car

Am I misunderstanding anything?
The circumference of the cross section of the wheel is larger, meaning the part you grab is thicker (as Oppo noted g i r t h) not a larger steering wheel.
Sponsored