• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP2 Kona Blue 2015 Focus Titanium

93-Oct Mayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
This would be an absolute no-go for me. If I have to hear people with unmodified 2018 GTs bragging about 10 extra HP I'm out

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang BULLITT
Some interesting soundbites:

So, we know Dark Horse is "at least 500hp".......and the GT is "480hp plus". Well, Ed states one of the GT's competitors has 485hp and he doesn't like to be second :like:
So, I take this to mean the GT will be at least 485HP, making it less impressive to say the DH to 500. I'm really hoping that numbers very under rated, as at this point I don't think even 525 would really impress me for how much the DH will cost.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang BULLITT
I don't see how that could be true as it contradicts what Ford themselves already said publicly.

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Dark Horse

mountainman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
So, the new intake system is toā€¦.save 1 mpg? This doesnā€™t make sense to me.

But I do agree with the OP - we should be thankful to have it at all.

Rocktop77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang gt
Yeah I tend to believe what Ford said at the release over any article. Doesnt look great to have a next gen car make less hp than an 18 GT and I think they know that. Also the comment he made about beating the competitor thatā€™s at 485, which I assume heā€™s talking about the challenger, makes me thing itā€™ll be like 486

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
I call horseshit on this article.
I don't see how that could be true as it contradicts what Ford themselves already said publicly.
Letā€™s not be too hasty; Ford Authorityā€™s sources are, to quote their article, ā€œsources familiar with the matter.ā€

So it must be totally credible and not at all a shitpost for clicks.

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP2 Kona Blue 2015 Focus Titanium
Ford has been known in the past to underrate their advertised HP numbers for insurance purposes. Is this the case here or would it be to place a HP cushion between their DH and GT? I believe the later because unless people need forged connecting rods for power adders, why get the DH for a significant price increase? I personally don't see why they would stick with 450, but I also don't see it being 490 either if the DH is just north of 500. 15 HP is hardly noticeable to the seat of the pants.

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
Ford has been known in the past to underrate their advertised HP numbers for insurance purposes. Is this the case here or would it be to place a HP cushion between their DH and GT? I believe the later because unless people need forged connecting rods for power adders, why get the DH for a significant price increase? I personally don't see why they would stick with 450, but I also don't see it being 490 either if the DH is just north of 500. 15 HP is hardly noticeable to the seat of the pants.
I keep hearing that here on the forum but I think itā€™s hardly ever the case. Just google some stock dyno tests. Yeah, I know, every dyno is different on any given day but the vast majority of videos paint a crystal clear picture: a 18 stock GT makes about 390-420 hpā€¦
So where is this coming from that ā€˜Ford underrates their carsā€™? BMW does but Ford does not, at least not the current Mustang GT. It makes around 410hp on average and runs 0-100 in roughly 4.6 secondsā€¦ Thatā€™s not slow but far away from what you would expect from a 466hp car in 2022ā€¦ It is however, what one could expect from a ~400hp carā€¦

Anyhow, 450hp would be a huge let down although Iā€™m pretty sure weā€™ll see 450, 460 at best here in Europe. For 60-70K I would rather go the distance and buy a C8 instead. Only problem is that that car is less of a daily driver and much tighter inside.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I suspect the '99 Cobra is why Ford would never over rate a Mustang's HP figure again.

If you don't know the backstory.......

The new 1999 Cobra had an upgraded 4.6 L DOHC V8 engine rated at 320 hp (239 kW) and 317 lbā‹…ft (430 Nā‹…m) of torque. However, when the new 1999 Cobras were put through their paces by their new owners, it was revealed that 0-60 mph times were slower than a comparably-equipped 1998 model, and dyno tests suggested that the advertised power output was closer to 285 hp (213 kW), even though Ford claimed that the engine was outputting 15 hp more than the 1998 Cobra engine. Due to this outcry, on August 6, 1999, Ford halted the sales of all unsold 1999 Cobras on dealership lots and recalled all 1999 Cobras that had been sold. Ford replaced the intake manifold, certain computer components, and the exhaust system from the catalytic converters to the tailpipes to achieve a "true" 320 hp at the crankshaft

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
I suspect the '99 Cobra is why Ford would never over rate a Mustang's HP figure again.

If you don't know the backstory.......

The new 1999 Cobra had an upgraded 4.6 L DOHC V8 engine rated at 320 hp (239 kW) and 317 lbā‹…ft (430 Nā‹…m) of torque. However, when the new 1999 Cobras were put through their paces by their new owners, it was revealed that 0-60 mph times were slower than a comparably-equipped 1998 model, and dyno tests suggested that the advertised power output was closer to 285 hp (213 kW), even though Ford claimed that the engine was outputting 15 hp more than the 1998 Cobra engine. Due to this outcry, on August 6, 1999, Ford halted the sales of all unsold 1999 Cobras on dealership lots and recalled all 1999 Cobras that had been sold. Ford replaced the intake manifold, certain computer components, and the exhaust system from the catalytic converters to the tailpipes to achieve a "true" 320 hp at the crankshaft
Interesting story but I donā€™t see any outcry these days even if your car is tested at a much lower power output. ā€œThatā€™s within the rangeā€ is the answer one always getsā€¦

I donā€™t owe a GT but a quick Google ā€˜researchā€™ implies that the GT is vastly overrated. There might be some GTs out there that actually deliver what was advertised but in general the data suggests otherwise. Same with the 0-100/62 numbersā€¦. On average itā€™s somewhat in the mid 4 seconds.

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 HP Prior: 20 SS 1LE, 17 GT350
Dyno tests have a WIDE variance, and really should only be used as a tool. It's your reference point. From there, you do something like headers, tune, E85, and dyno again to make sure you've picked up about what you should. Of course, your car should produce a reasonable HP (wheel) compared to the advertised HP (crank), depending on RWD, FWD, AWD. If you've got 25% loss on a RWD car then sure, bring that to the OEM's attention.

0-60 times have variance as well, not as much as dyno runs, but still a significant amount. The magazine 0-60 times are the best the OEM got, in the best of scenarios with everything controlled that they could.

Interesting story but I donā€™t see any outcry these days even if your car is tested at a much lower power output. ā€œThatā€™s within the rangeā€ is the answer one always getsā€¦

I donā€™t owe a GT but a quick Google ā€˜researchā€™ implies that the GT is vastly overrated. There might be some GTs out there that actually deliver what was advertised but in general the data suggests otherwise. Same with the 0-100/62 numbersā€¦. On average itā€™s somewhat in the mid 4 seconds.
Sponsored