• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Would you buy a permanently locked ecu 650 mustang ?

Would you buy a permanently locked ecu 650 mustang ?

• Total voters

Veteran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT white
There has been a lot of talk on the permanently locked ecu on the new s650.
Likewise there have been comments on Ford watching your movements and driving behaviour .
How would this affect your choice in buying one ?
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
As far as the locked ECU, Absolutely. I'm way past my "mod crazy" years so 460+ HP is more than enough for me now.

As far as monitoring, who cares? I have a cell phone. They already know where I am. Add to that your car and mine already has tele-metics. There is nothing that I'm doing that Ford is going to care about. :giggle::like:

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,1965 Sunbeam Tiger (Stolen, Elk Heart Lake)
Last edited:

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,1965 Sunbeam Tiger (Stolen, Elk Heart Lake)
Back in the day we would get our cars tuned. They would re-jet the carb, re-curve the distributor possibly re-time the cam. They never put seals on the carb, dist, or cam cover.

Someone might copy me was never a concern because you knew what you were doing or you didn't. This is why some tuners blame the engine when their "tune" doesn't work on some cars. They cannot diagnose it because they don't understand the system.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Back in the day we would get our cars tuned. They would re-jet the carb, re-curve the distributor possibly re-time the cam. They never put seals on the carb, dist, or cam cover.
And don't forget the only emissions device was a PCV plug. Ah, the good old days!

S650 Mustang Would you buy a permanently locked ecu 650 mustang ? 1665934664764

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Raptor R, '21 Bronco First Edition, '23 GT3
I'd rather purchase a car with a locked ECU. How many yahoo shops are out there screwing up the reliability of cars. A locked ECU would ensure that some clown shop didn't mess with it.

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Likewise there have been comments on Ford watching your movements and driving behaviour
Yea, no. It's not like they're transferring any of this data to my insurance carrier or the state attorney general. Telemetrics is more to sort out bugs than anything else.

I'd be more concerned about that square device you carry around everywhere with you - you know, the one that likely has GPS on most of the time (and even if not, can still be triangulated with a cell signal) and that probably has an app from your car insurance carrier installed on it. Yes, the car is the problem. Lmao. You guys crack me up.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
I'd be disappointed because it was so easy to get an email E85 tune that works great for the Gen 3 Coyote. An E85 tuned Dark Horse would be a compelling car. OTOH, if I really want a competent track day car, there are other options that I'll consider.

93-Oct Mayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
In my experience with multiple remote tuners, they up the power and simultaneously make your car run like shit anyways. People should thank Ford for protecting them from themselves

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I suspect Ford will work with some tuners to develop tunes for the locked ECU. I would buy the Mustang with the locked ECU.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I'm not concerned about a locked ECU, but I am concerned about Telemetrics and Big Brother in general. If I can control what data is accessed, or, how it is controlled, OK. But by default, Ford saves this information and makes it available to others, under certain circumstances; this bothers me.

In the S550, I can disconnect and remove a module or modules to prevent the above from occurring. I'd need to study the S650 to see if the Telemetrics feature can be disabled.

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...&userMarket=usa&div=f&vFilteringEnabled=False

OP
OP

Veteran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT white
I'd rather purchase a car with a locked ECU. How many yahoo shops are out there screwing up the reliability of cars. A locked ECU would ensure that some clown shop didn't mess with it.
So whilst Iā€™m sure there are many yahoo shops, you will need a reputable tuner if you go FI.
The mustang is probably one of the most modded cars with added forced induction.