• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Would You Consider a Smaller Foxbody Inspired Mustang?

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
As many enthusiasts have laminated the loss of the small, light, and affordable mustang, I thought it would be interesting if Ford developed a foxbody inspired, FRS and Miata rival with smaller displacement engines using this design which looks like a modern fox body imo.

They could use the highly flexible and proven c2 platform to keep development costs low, which would make it easier to turn a profit in a low volume segment. Make it awd, offer a hybrid potentially (maybe even have the electric motors power the rear wheels so it feels closer to a rwd car), throw in the 2.0 and 2.3 Ecoboost. Take the maverick approach to interior design of making something cheap, but expressive.

This would enable ford to expand the mustang sub-brand in a way that appealed to a wide variety of enthusiasts young and old by going back to the mustangs roots of cheap, practical, and cheerful. While strengthening the brand in a way that doesn't directly step on the toes of the s650, and allows them to generate additional revenue on a platform that's already proving to be profitable. Let me know what you all think.

S650 Mustang Would You Consider a Smaller Foxbody Inspired Mustang? IMG_20221113_095306
Sponsored

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
Honestly, I would love to see a smaller, lighter Mustang. I love my S550, but it still feels big and heavy to me (especially compared to my old E85 Z4).

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer ST, 2001 Avalon
I would love this as well; though you lost me when you mentioned AWD and hybrid. The goal with this should be light weight, inexpensive, simple. AWD and hybrid match none of those qualities.

I simply do not understand why there is no new car today that is 2 door, RWD, inexpensive, under 3200 lbs and makes better than 10:1 weight to power.
There are light and cheap cars but make boring power. Then there are cheap and powerful cars but they weigh an ungodly amount. Then there are cars like the Cayman GT4 but now you're looking over $100k. The civic type R comes to mind but 4 door and FWD; again can't win.
The Supra comes very very close but still a tad heavy and at $60k, not exactly inexpensive.

If there ever comes a day where there is a turbo Miata or turbo BRZ from the factory, every car guy on Earth would flock to get one.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; I agree a smaller overall and lighter Mustang would be worth having. The current Mustangs are a big car for the type when compared to some past models.
I think one issue is the base platform is used to make other vehicles so to have a new smaller Mustang would require a different platform. Not likely in this new EV age. I doubt any new platforms other than for EV's will be made, but such is only a guess.

I did have hope a few years ago that Ford would build a four-door sedan on the Mustang platform and use the coyote engine with a manual trans. That would have been a desirable car for many and not require a lot of development. Not to be called a mustang of course.

Anyway, a new smaller Mustang would be sweet. Does not seem possible in the EV age.

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
the miata/brz are unfortunately too small for Lumberus Americanus. it's sized for the Japanese male. The Ecosport/bronco-sport/maverick in rear-drive could work.

They could call it the Mustang Fiesta. :)
or Fiero. or Mustang ST or Mustang FiST. Hell, brand names mean nothing so let's just wield the Ginsu knives with abandon!

OP
OP
DeluxeStang

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Hello; I agree a smaller overall and lighter Mustang would be worth having. The current Mustangs are a big car for the type when compared to some past models.
I think one issue is the base platform is used to make other vehicles so to have a new smaller Mustang would require a different platform. Not likely in this new EV age. I doubt any new platforms other than for EV's will be made, but such is only a guess.

I did have hope a few years ago that Ford would build a four-door sedan on the Mustang platform and use the coyote engine with a manual trans. That would have been a desirable car for many and not require a lot of development. Not to be called a mustang of course.

Anyway, a new smaller Mustang would be sweet. Does not seem possible in the EV age.
Yeah, I know it's a stretch suggesting that they use the C2 platform, as from my understanding, it would be difficult to make that platform RWD. But if they could, everything else about that platform seems perfect for a car like this. It's light, small, cheap, scalable etc. There are currently 6 ford/Lincoln products that use it. I believe ford says they plan to have 12 vehicles on it when it's all said and done. We know they plan to make a small van and the next gen edge on this platform. So that leaves 4 mystery vehicles.

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
As many enthusiasts have laminated the loss of the small, light, and affordable mustang, I thought it would be interesting if Ford developed a foxbody inspired, FRS and Miata rival with smaller displacement engines using this design which looks like a modern fox body imo.

They could use the highly flexible and proven c2 platform to keep development costs low, which would make it easier to turn a profit in a low volume segment. Make it awd, offer a hybrid potentially (maybe even have the electric motors power the rear wheels so it feels closer to a rwd car), throw in the 2.0 and 2.3 Ecoboost. Take the maverick approach to interior design of making something cheap, but expressive.

This would enable ford to expand the mustang sub-brand in a way that appealed to a wide variety of enthusiasts young and old by going back to the mustangs roots of cheap, practical, and cheerful. While strengthening the brand in a way that doesn't directly step on the toes of the s650, and allows them to generate additional revenue on a platform that's already proving to be profitable. Let me know what you all think.

IMG_20221113_095306.jpg
First, IMO, the renderings you posted don't come close to even resembling a Fox body.

Second, I would love a smaller Mustang, like the size of a Fox or a 65/66 Mustang. However, I wouldn't even consider one if it had smaller displacent. The current 5.0 is already pretty small.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
If there was ever a time this would’ve been logistically viable, it would’ve been 5-10 years ago. :(

Reactions: Ace
OP
OP
DeluxeStang

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
First, IMO, the renderings you posted don't come close to even resembling a Fox body.

Second, I would love a smaller Mustang, like the size of a Fox or a 65/66 Mustang. However, I wouldn't even consider one if it had smaller displacent. The current 5.0 is already pretty small.
Idk, of course it doesn't look identical to a fox body, that's not what I'm saying. But it's clearly inspired by it, more compact dimensions, more upright roofline like the fox body, with what could be a hatch in the rear. The lack of a large upper grille, even the line on the hood that sweeps down as it runs below the side window is virtually identical to the hood line on the fox body, just done in a modern and more attractive way.

OP
OP
DeluxeStang

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
If there was ever a time this would’ve been logistically viable, it would’ve been 5-10 years ago. :(
In many respects I agree with you, but to be fair, a lot of the affordable sports car concepts that get canned use a bespoke platform, something which, as you essentially pointed out, isn't economically viable anymore. But sharing a platform may work. The c2 has almost certainly made it's development costs back, ford could use existing powertrains. They could make it in flat rock because it's being underutilized. It would take some development work to covert it to RWD or to develop a rear biased AWD system, but that shouldn't be insanely difficult or costly.

Blufc3s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Competition orange 2015 mustang GT premium PP manual, 2012 Fusion, 2011 Ford Ranger.
Honestly, I would love to see a smaller, lighter Mustang. I love my S550, but it still feels big and heavy to me (especially compared to my old E85 Z4).
I totally agree. I have an 03 E85 Z4 3.0 manual , a 15 S550 PP, manual, love em both but wish the GT was smaller
S650 Mustang Would You Consider a Smaller Foxbody Inspired Mustang? 696ED590-22DE-4FBE-96B4-88008BDC0180
S650 Mustang Would You Consider a Smaller Foxbody Inspired Mustang? 6A9A300A-A357-445C-A5A7-9D23EE230439

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
In many respects I agree with you, but to be fair, a lot of the affordable sports car concepts that get canned use a bespoke platform, something which, as you essentially pointed out, isn't economically viable anymore. But sharing a platform may work. The c2 has almost certainly made it's development costs back, ford could use existing powertrains. They could make it in flat rock because it's being underutilized. It would take some development work to covert it to RWD or to develop a rear biased AWD system, but that shouldn't be insanely difficult or costly.
I think the issue would come down to long term sales volume sustainability and how the inclusion of another gas-powered vehicle would affect fleet emission averages versus CAFE targets, mainly with the fact that any new model introduced now would likely be in production for 6-10 years to recoup costs.

Historically speaking, two-seater, focused models—like more affordable short-wheelbased Miatas and 86s, or even upper-class GT-like vehicles such as the F-Types, Z4s, TTs, etc—spike and fall flat early in their development cycle in terms of sales.

The Mustang continues to sell well given its relatively practical nature; unlike something like the 6G Camaro, you can daily a Mustang or Challenger with few major utility compromises.

On top of that, we’re in a period where it’s surprising to hear about the continued use of power plants like the Coyote or any other N/A mills for that matter. Realistically, we’d be getting some kind of 4-banger with a V6 hi-po trim, if that, and I would assume that platform would be hybrid or EV-ready.

It also wouldn’t be as light as we’d expect, with safety standards dictating stiffness and airbags on top of the expected standard/optional features your average consumer wants. It could be, but it wouldn’t cheap. Unfortunately, the OP’s request of light, cheap, and small is not realistic unless we’re looking at products like the aforementioned 86.

Even if Ford did subsidize R&D costs and modify existing platforms, I don’t think they’d transplant the goodies we’d want to see, like a V8 + manual combo.

Would love to be proven wrong though!

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think the issue would come down to long term sales volume sustainability and how the inclusion of another gas-powered vehicle would affect fleet emission averages versus CAFE targets, mainly with the fact that any new model introduced now would likely be in production for 6-10 years to recoup costs.

Historically speaking, two-seater, focused models—like more affordable short-wheelbased Miatas and 86s, or even upper-class GT-like vehicles such as the F-Types, Z4s, TTs, etc—spike and fall flat early in their development cycle in terms of sales.

The Mustang continues to sell well given its relatively practical nature; unlike something like the 6G Camaro, you can daily a Mustang or Challenger with few major utility compromises.

On top of that, we’re in a period where it’s surprising to hear about the continued use of power plants like the Coyote or any other N/A mills for that matter. Realistically, we’d be getting some kind of 4-banger with a V6 hi-po trim, if that, and I would assume that platform would be hybrid or EV-ready.

It also wouldn’t be as light as we’d expect, with safety standards dictating stiffness and airbags on top of the expected standard/optional features your average consumer wants. It could be, but it wouldn’t cheap. Unfortunately, the OP’s request of light, cheap, and small is not realistic unless we’re looking at products like the aforementioned 86.

Even if Ford did subsidize R&D costs and modify existing platforms, I don’t think they’d transplant the goodies we’d want to see, like a V8 + manual combo.

Would love to be proven wrong though!
I don't even need the v8. A 2800 lb car with the ecoboost engine making somewhere between 300-350 hp would be incredible! That could easily be done for at or below $40k.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
I don't even need the v8. A 2800 lb car with the ecoboost engine making somewhere between 300-350 hp would be incredible! That could easily be done for at or below $40k.
Would be a dream! Would maybe be possible to crack 3000lbs if the pricing was up there with that kind of power.

Big part of why the 86 and Miata are so light is because they produce so little power, so everything’s smaller: wheels, tires, brakes, all of the running gear, transmission, etc.

Assuming Ford is clever with material use they could probably do something in that range for $40k.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Would be a dream! Would maybe be possible to crack 3000lbs if the pricing was up there with that kind of power.

Big part of why the 86 and Miata are so light is because they produce so little power, so everything’s smaller: wheels, tires, brakes, all of the running gear, transmission, etc.

Assuming Ford is clever with material use they could probably do something in that range for $40k.
Ford made the F150 all-aluminum; I was really hoping the S650 would be all-aluminum and shed some serious weight. Other than +20hp and subjective aesthetics, there really isn't much changed on the S650 over the S550. I don't see any reason to buy one if you already have an S550.
Sponsored