• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Smaller, Lighter Mustang?

Should Ford make a smaller, lighter, more sporty version of the Mustang?

• Yes! Take my money!

• That'd be cool but not for me.

• Heresy! You should be stoned for even thinking of such a thing!

Results are only viewable after voting.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
its a dillema that cant be solved easiley:
you want light and powerful? it aint going to be cheap
you want cheap and powerful? it aint going to be light
you want cheap and light? it aint going to be powerful
C2 my dude. Prob the best architecture Ford's ever had. Super flexible, underpins most of Ford's award winning products these days. If Ford can make it work for a 20k truck, they can make a profitable 25k car on that platform.
Lose the AWD and I'm sold!
AWD gives you a massive selling point other small and cheap sports cars like the Miata and gr86 don't have while offering more diversity within the mustang sub-brand.
Sponsored

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
I've always kind of wanted a more affordable Ford GT that could more directly compete with the 2 seat Corvette.
This is an official Ford design sketch. The resolution is terrible, but what I can make out makes me think of a modern version of the mustang 1. This was from 2021, so we'll see where it goes.

S650 Mustang Smaller, Lighter Mustang? IMG_20230802_180942

S650 Mustang Smaller, Lighter Mustang? The-First-Mustang-Prototype-Mustang-I-1-770x599

RJV15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic Si
Lightweight and V8 don't mix.

Ford can throw a V6 turbo and slim out the Mustang, but at that point why not just get the Supra?

There is no R&D budget to build a new sports car. Look at the Ecoboost Mustang, it doesn't need to be that big, but it is because its cheap to throw it on an already built chassis that is meant for a V8.

The FRS and Supra only exist because Toyota teamed up with other car manufacturers to make them a reality.

Im sure Ford would love to put some of their new F1 tech in a new chassis, but does it make sense for that to be the new Mustang, or a new collab?
So I guess the question is, who would Ford partner with to make a new sports car?

Korvus15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang
Personally id want a Mustang the size of a Challenger. i LOVE how roomie they are.

The only reason I dont get one is simple: It's exterior design never ever changes...and I don't like it's style 😂

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer ST, 2001 Avalon
AWD gives you a massive selling point other small and cheap sports cars like the Miata and gr86 don't have while offering more diversity within the mustang sub-brand.
I don't know, I think manufacturers use AWD purely as a marketing scheme nowadays. I don't understand all the hype behind it....then again I live in Socal where a light drizzle is about the most extreme weather we get.

AWD would make sense as an option on the "normal" Mustang but for this hypothetical smaller, more nimble Mustang, it's just unnecessary added weight I'd rather not have.

Lightweight and V8 don't mix.
C6 Z06 - 500 hp V8, only 3100 lbs
Sponsored