• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

poppyseed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
S650 FORD MUSTANG: EXCLUSIVE DETAILS ON THE LAST V8 MUSCLE CAR STANDING
The Seventh-Generation Ford Mustang Will Be The Last V8 Muscle Car Standing
by Manoli Katakis September 1, 2021, 5:00 am

S650 Mustang S650 Mustang Exclusive Details on Ford's Last V8 Muscle Car ShelbyGT500sketch.2-e1589229909611

We’re in the business of obsessively reporting on muscle cars (and trucks!), so we’ve made it our mission to infiltrate our intelligence deep into any automaker that dares build them. In doing so, we were first to alert the world *checks notes* that the original seventh-generation Camaro plans were a casualty of a GM restructuring, as were the sixth-generation Z/28 and its special engine. We were first to tell the world of *checks notes* an electric Dodge muscle car coming. And we’ve only been around for *checks notes* two years. Not like it’s hard. So today, we’re here to tell you everything we know about the upcoming S650 Ford Mustang.

First thing’s first: the S650 Mustang isn’t a new platform. Rather, it’s an evolution of the S550, so think of it as a major product lifecycle refresh, more than something that’s completely new from the ground up. That means it will have a rethought exterior and interior design, and a new electrical architecture to go with it.

Expect the S650 Mustang to debut in late 2022 as a 2023 model year product.

No AWD Expected, A Hybrid Could Come Later
While all-wheel-drive has been extensively rumored, perhaps misreported by other outlets, MC&T sources that intimately understand the S650 Ford Mustang have told us that AWD is not immediately on the table. Spy photos that have been speculated to be testing with all-wheel-drive are simply S550 shells masking an S650 chassis, say sources.

Speculation of a hybrid model is a little scattered. Rumors originally floated that the Ford Mustang was going to go hybrid as early as 2020. That didn’t happen. Instead we got the Mustang Mach-E to help balance out CAFE regulations, and probably for the better. Recently, our friends at Automotive News stated that a S650 Ford Mustang hybrid could arrive by 2025, likely during a refresh of the model. We’re inclined to believe them.

S650 Mustang S650 Mustang Exclusive Details on Ford's Last V8 Muscle Car -Ford-Mustang-Shelby-GT500-Engine-Display-1024x684

S650 Mustang Engines
Out of the gate, the 2023 Ford Mustang will have a familiar stable of powertrains, before a refresh in a few years that will add hybrid electrification. This means that a 2.3L EcoBoost turbo four and 5.0L Coyote V8 at the start, with the 755 hp 5.2L supercharged Predator V8 to follow. We don’t expect the 5.2L flat-plane crank Voodoo V8 to re-emerge after the discontinuation of the Mustang Shelby GT350 and GT350R.

Our sources more or less debunked the 6.8L V8 rumor for the S650 Ford Mustang, saying Unifor leaders don’t have the right information. Perhaps maybe later.

S650 Mustang S650 Mustang Exclusive Details on Ford's Last V8 Muscle Car Ford-Mustang-Shelby-GT500-Matheus-Pach-14-1024x683

S650 Ford Mustang Pricing Can’t Run Away From The Stable
It’s still too early to figure out the pricing strategy for the S650 Mustang. As we see currently, the blue-collar American Icon currently gets away with being both the most expensive base V8 entry muscle car, and the highest price ceiling of any muscle car, with the Shelby GT500 topping well above $100,000. Again, for a Mustang. As we’ve heard before, the buying demographic is getting older, which can’t be good. And while that does mean that Ford can get away with juicing the Boomers for all they’re worth, it does sort of lose the plot at the same time, as other nameplates are enjoying a younger, richer and more diverse audience.

Agreeably, Ford does have to make do with competing with a specutrum of American (and don’t kid yourself, there’s still a bright line between most domestic and import enthusiasts) performance cars with just one offering. The $400,000+ Ford GT doesn’t really count or compete in the same customer space due to the price, or the buying process. From the four-door Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat Widebody to the soon-to-be C8 Corvette Z06, the Mustang is (perhaps unfairly) tasked with representing Ford Performance by itself in this space. That’s probably why we have a 755 horsepower Mustang with an $18,000 track package. Because you’re not gonna take on the fighter squadron of General Motors or Dodge performance cars without it.

At this point Ford Motor Company has to be recognizing the need for another performance car. And one that doesn’t start at a zillion million billion dollars. Maybe that’s why the automaker recently trademarked the Thunderbird name for future automobile use. But that’s a story for another day.

Anyhow. Pricing pressure is a real thing, and it’s hard for us to digest the appeal of a six figure Mustang in a world of mid-engine Corvettes and 800-plus horsepower Mopars that are going for a better deal. But we know hybrids and other new technologies only add to the cost of development, so be on the look out for an MSRP jump on midrange to high-end S650 Mustangs.

S650 Mustang S650 Mustang Exclusive Details on Ford's Last V8 Muscle Car rd-Mustang-Mach-1-Grabber-Yellow-Europe-5-1024x768

The S650 Mustang Will Be The Last ICE Muscle Car Standing
Our sources described the lifecycle of the S650 Mustang as one that will be the finish of a long bridge towards electrification. In other words, Ford Motor Company will “sweat the asset” and it will have a long lifecycle; eight years, in fact. Just like the S550, which entered the fray in 2014. Some analysts pin the electric Ford Mustang to emerge by 2028, but 2030 seems like the more likely outcome. The end of the decade feels far enough away, but the clock is ticking in what feels like a speed run mode. When that time approaches, the last of the internal combustion engine muscle cars will have rolled off the assembly line.

General Motors and its “All Electric Future” has the Camaro as we know it reportedly giving way to an electric performance sedan. Across thown, the new French overlords pulling the strings at Dodge have the brand completely rethinking the Charger and Challenger formula, as electric vehicles. By 2024, it’s an extreme likelihood that the S650 Ford Mustang will be the last American muscle car with an internal combustion engine. This makes us recall the sage words of Ferdinand Porsche, which say that “the last car built on earth will surely be a sports car.” In this case, the last V8 muscle car will be a Ford Mustang.

History doesn’t repeat itself, but it sure as hell rhymes.
Sponsored

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Man, I just want a GT350 successor - if that happens as a further revised 5.0, I'm totally fine with that (and probably better off as the 5.0 has proven to be more reliable).

Nonetheless, exciting times (and slightly depressing times) ahead! Thanks for sharing!

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
That article is nicely written. However, it doesn’t contain any real news regarding S650 and reads itself more like a summary or clickbait. To me it feels like someone was closely monitoring this forum ;)

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Dark Horse
No AWD? Weird that everyone is saying that except this article. If the 2023 doesnt have an AWD option I'll probably get a low mileage 18-22 and mod it, AWD is what i am holding out for.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 Stingray
And whole new Gen for 7-8 years with the same but updates engines - Bold move from Ford if true. With Ford Europes announcement to only sell Hybrids and EVs in 2026 it would fit the part about Hybrid being part of a refresh.

Of course there are more than enough fans out there who still want a V8 in their mustang, it will be really intesting how it will sell once the BEV muscle cars will be on the market. But with an strongly updated interior and a modernized exterior the car could be big success.

Of course it's a bit over the top, but if they can update their interiors at least a bit towards the material quality of the C8 I could imagine going back to a Mustang. Especially if the 4-door rumors are true.

dethmaShine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 328i '09
I just feel this is article was written based on Twin Turbo's most recent post. LMAO.

Reactions: Ace

fpvfan1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 mustang GT
although i'm anxious, I'll just wait and see what happens. At this point, my money will probably be going to Dodge.

TorqueAholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350, 2000 Mustang GT, 2019 Edge ST
Nice article. I had a feeling it was about to go down in pretty much that fashion, on that timetable.

That is why I sprung for a new 2020 GT350 back in December. Lucky me, I got it for a little under sticker / weeks before the chip crisis put the market into a frenzy. Glad I did.

JWS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 WW-50th LE Auto-0745-Grandé
People (including me) complain about being claustrophobic in the Camaro, but I’d hate to have to try and extricate myself from this in an emergency.

VooDooCatT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang S550 GT
Coyote is fine by me, but MT82 is must be replace!

hellohello123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT 6spd California Black
S650 FORD MUSTANG: EXCLUSIVE DETAILS ON THE LAST V8 MUSCLE CAR STANDING
The Seventh-Generation Ford Mustang Will Be The Last V8 Muscle Car Standing
by Manoli Katakis September 1, 2021, 5:00 am

ShelbyGT500sketch.2-e1589229909611.jpg

We’re in the business of obsessively reporting on muscle cars (and trucks!), so we’ve made it our mission to infiltrate our intelligence deep into any automaker that dares build them. In doing so, we were first to alert the world *checks notes* that the original seventh-generation Camaro plans were a casualty of a GM restructuring, as were the sixth-generation Z/28 and its special engine. We were first to tell the world of *checks notes* an electric Dodge muscle car coming. And we’ve only been around for *checks notes* two years. Not like it’s hard. So today, we’re here to tell you everything we know about the upcoming S650 Ford Mustang.

First thing’s first: the S650 Mustang isn’t a new platform. Rather, it’s an evolution of the S550, so think of it as a major product lifecycle refresh, more than something that’s completely new from the ground up. That means it will have a rethought exterior and interior design, and a new electrical architecture to go with it.

Expect the S650 Mustang to debut in late 2022 as a 2023 model year product.

No AWD Expected, A Hybrid Could Come Later
While all-wheel-drive has been extensively rumored, perhaps misreported by other outlets, MC&T sources that intimately understand the S650 Ford Mustang have told us that AWD is not immediately on the table. Spy photos that have been speculated to be testing with all-wheel-drive are simply S550 shells masking an S650 chassis, say sources.

Speculation of a hybrid model is a little scattered. Rumors originally floated that the Ford Mustang was going to go hybrid as early as 2020. That didn’t happen. Instead we got the Mustang Mach-E to help balance out CAFE regulations, and probably for the better. Recently, our friends at Automotive News stated that a S650 Ford Mustang hybrid could arrive by 2025, likely during a refresh of the model. We’re inclined to believe them.

-Ford-Mustang-Shelby-GT500-Engine-Display-1024x684.jpg

S650 Mustang Engines
Out of the gate, the 2023 Ford Mustang will have a familiar stable of powertrains, before a refresh in a few years that will add hybrid electrification. This means that a 2.3L EcoBoost turbo four and 5.0L Coyote V8 at the start, with the 755 hp 5.2L supercharged Predator V8 to follow. We don’t expect the 5.2L flat-plane crank Voodoo V8 to re-emerge after the discontinuation of the Mustang Shelby GT350 and GT350R.

Our sources more or less debunked the 6.8L V8 rumor for the S650 Ford Mustang, saying Unifor leaders don’t have the right information. Perhaps maybe later.

Ford-Mustang-Shelby-GT500-Matheus-Pach-14-1024x683.jpg

S650 Ford Mustang Pricing Can’t Run Away From The Stable
It’s still too early to figure out the pricing strategy for the S650 Mustang. As we see currently, the blue-collar American Icon currently gets away with being both the most expensive base V8 entry muscle car, and the highest price ceiling of any muscle car, with the Shelby GT500 topping well above $100,000. Again, for a Mustang. As we’ve heard before, the buying demographic is getting older, which can’t be good. And while that does mean that Ford can get away with juicing the Boomers for all they’re worth, it does sort of lose the plot at the same time, as other nameplates are enjoying a younger, richer and more diverse audience.

Agreeably, Ford does have to make do with competing with a specutrum of American (and don’t kid yourself, there’s still a bright line between most domestic and import enthusiasts) performance cars with just one offering. The $400,000+ Ford GT doesn’t really count or compete in the same customer space due to the price, or the buying process. From the four-door Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat Widebody to the soon-to-be C8 Corvette Z06, the Mustang is (perhaps unfairly) tasked with representing Ford Performance by itself in this space. That’s probably why we have a 755 horsepower Mustang with an $18,000 track package. Because you’re not gonna take on the fighter squadron of General Motors or Dodge performance cars without it.

At this point Ford Motor Company has to be recognizing the need for another performance car. And one that doesn’t start at a zillion million billion dollars. Maybe that’s why the automaker recently trademarked the Thunderbird name for future automobile use. But that’s a story for another day.

Anyhow. Pricing pressure is a real thing, and it’s hard for us to digest the appeal of a six figure Mustang in a world of mid-engine Corvettes and 800-plus horsepower Mopars that are going for a better deal. But we know hybrids and other new technologies only add to the cost of development, so be on the look out for an MSRP jump on midrange to high-end S650 Mustangs.

rd-Mustang-Mach-1-Grabber-Yellow-Europe-5-1024x768.jpg

The S650 Mustang Will Be The Last ICE Muscle Car Standing
Our sources described the lifecycle of the S650 Mustang as one that will be the finish of a long bridge towards electrification. In other words, Ford Motor Company will “sweat the asset” and it will have a long lifecycle; eight years, in fact. Just like the S550, which entered the fray in 2014. Some analysts pin the electric Ford Mustang to emerge by 2028, but 2030 seems like the more likely outcome. The end of the decade feels far enough away, but the clock is ticking in what feels like a speed run mode. When that time approaches, the last of the internal combustion engine muscle cars will have rolled off the assembly line.

General Motors and its “All Electric Future” has the Camaro as we know it reportedly giving way to an electric performance sedan. Across thown, the new French overlords pulling the strings at Dodge have the brand completely rethinking the Charger and Challenger formula, as electric vehicles. By 2024, it’s an extreme likelihood that the S650 Ford Mustang will be the last American muscle car with an internal combustion engine. This makes us recall the sage words of Ferdinand Porsche, which say that “the last car built on earth will surely be a sports car.” In this case, the last V8 muscle car will be a Ford Mustang.

History doesn’t repeat itself, but it sure as hell rhymes.
is it just me but there is no chance the s650 will look like the first pic
it just looks too cool and sporty for a non super/hyper car

if the s650 looks anything as cool as that, im putting a deposit down without even looking
but in my expereince, the production car never ever looks as cool as the concept,

ive been far too disappointed on every production vs concept ive actually paid attention to (which admittedly isnt that many)