• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

2024 S650 Mustang V8 to Approach 500 Horsepower

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I would assume it is logically rounded from less than 5 hp - and even then would be underrated, if true to fords conservative HP Ratings. By any rounding standards, 460 or even 480 is nowhere near 500
Approaching is the key word. If you compare to 200 hp, 460 is definitely approaching 500. And yes, anything above 450 would round up to 500.

when I was in elementary school anything over 5 rounds up. so 450HP rounds up to 500. And anyway the precision mathematical term in question is "approach". Which I believe is used in airplanes and cruise liners. So a bit of wide latitude is expected.

And anyway nobody cares. nobody is going to turn the S650 down because it "only has" 460, or 480 or whatever stupid number it has.
If it gets heavier and has the same power as now plus it costs more, I would be a person that would turn it down. Power definitely enters into this, because I'm comparing the new car to what I have now. If I think I have to have the new car, that will be because I think it's worth it (ie more performance for the money).

I think you will find the Last Digit is Rounded, not the second last.
The number 500 implies rounding both digits. If they said "approaching 510", that would imply only rounding the last digit. And the word approaching means that it's close to 500, not that it would round to 500. It could be 440 for all we know. I doubt it, but I don't think we can draw a conclusion from the statement. I would expect it to be at least 460, and probably close to 480, if not more.

phantom214

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
They had to reduce HP due to CO2 emission. S650 isn’t hybrid nor turbo. There is no naturally aspirated engine technology in this world to increase HP without increasing co2 emission.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
They had to reduce HP due to CO2 emission. S650 isn’t hybrid nor turbo. There is no naturally aspirated engine technology in this world to increase HP without increasing co2 emission.
I haven't studied how the regulations work, but I would assume the regulations don't require full throttle, high RPM operation. A big V8 can limp through the standard test at 1,000 rpm, lugging the engine all the way and even damaging it to get the best short term fuel economy.

So I doubt the regulations limit peak power. The engine just has to operate efficiently when driving the standard test loop. It doesn't have to limit CO2 at peak power.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.LEDandSafety.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Approaching is the key word. If you compare to 200 hp, 460 is definitely approaching 500. And yes, anything above 450 would round up to 500.

If it gets heavier and has the same power as now plus it costs more, I would be a person that would turn it down. Power definitely enters into this, because I'm comparing the new car to what I have now. If I think I have to have the new car, that will be because I think it's worth it (ie more performance for the money).

The number 500 implies rounding both digits. If they said "approaching 510", that would imply only rounding the last digit. And the word approaching means that it's close to 500, not that it would round to 500. It could be 440 for all we know. I doubt it, but I don't think we can draw a conclusion from the statement. I would expect it to be at least 460, and probably close to 480, if not more.
I expect it to be over 480, because the 480 level was already reached, and for them to say new power level approaching 500hp would imply more than the previous 480.

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I think it will be over 490 but less than 500. That’s the only way to accurately say approaching 500. They will get roasted on anything else.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I think it will be over 490 but less than 500. That’s the only way to accurately say approaching 500. They will get roasted on anything else.
I think that you are probably correct. I think for the GT at least, keeping. it just under 500 helps ever so slightly with the insurance companies.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
If you live in a small rural town, where would you need that much horsepower if the top speed limit is only 40 mph?
It comes in VERY handy in emergency situations. Not only that, but I used to live in a rural town. Frequently ound myself OUT of town constantly for work, shopping, dining, entertainment, visiting friends, etc. It comes in handy then as well. No one that I know personally who lives in that same town stays in town all the time.

Not sure where you live, but perhaps its a place where people do everything in town? In that case, perhaps that particular place has folks that would not be interested in a powerful sport coupe. But the rest of the nation probably is.

It's tough in a rural town thought. My family moved to one when I was in the middle of high school. Taking a. city kid and putting him there was rough at first, but I grew to love it. Visit all the time now. Ironically, that area had local Hot Rod events all the time. Huge enthusiast base there.

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang Vert w/pony package
It comes in VERY handy in emergency situations. Not only that, but I used to live in a rural town. Frequently ound myself OUT of town constantly for work, shopping, dining, entertainment, visiting friends, etc. It comes in handy then as well. No one that I know personally who lives in that same town stays in town all the time.

Not sure where you live, but perhaps its a place where people do everything in town? In that case, perhaps that particular place has folks that would not be interested in a powerful sport coupe. But the rest of the nation probably is.

It's tough in a rural town thought. My family moved to one when I was in the middle of high school. Taking a. city kid and putting him there was rough at first, but I grew to love it. Visit all the time now. Ironically, that area had local Hot Rod events all the time. Huge enthusiast base there.
There are 228 places to eat within 5 miles of my house, 15 hotels within 5 miles of my house; there is a mall within 1.5 miles from house. and I live in a town of 18,000. The primary vehicles most folks own are trucks; SUVs; and CUVs. If you have a Mustang, either you bought secondhand, or if new, you are in military or you are an old geezer trying to relive their youth.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
There are 228 places to eat within 5 miles of my house, 15 hotels within 5 miles of my house; there is a mall within 1.5 miles from house. and I live in a town of 18,000. The primary vehicles most folks own are trucks; SUVs; and CUVs. If you have a Mustang, either you bought secondhand, or if new, you are in military or you are an old geezer trying to relive their youth.
And you live in a rural area? That sounds more cityish. Interesting. Maybe the best of both worlds kind of area.

Last edited:

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Valid point which is why it’s going to be either a remix engine or a real gen 4 update

they’re going to have to increase revs, or mess with the intake substantially. We shall see today
Sponsored