• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Why order the Handling Package for a Dark Horse?

LCDRChemEng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BE DH Premium A10
I'm starting to doubt myself, I see a good number of people who have ordered the handling package on their DH, and wondering if I screwed the pooch. I would appreciate some feedback.

To the best of my knowledge, for an additional $5K the DH HP:
-replaces the 255+275 wide 40 profile wheels & tires with 305+315 wide 30 profile wheels & tires, both 19" rims
-Adds Adjustable Top Strut Mounts (to what purpose? How is this better than the standard magneride controls?)
-Adds Front Towing Hooks (um, ok, does anyone actually need towing hooks, or is that a race track thing?)
-Magnetic Damping System (the car comes standard with magneride, is this any different?)
-replaces the std spoiler with a Performance Rear Spoiler w. Gurney Flap (ok, that's neat)
-Revised Chassis tuning (first of all, chassis tuning, is that like camber/toes/caster? I can get that for $100 at Pep Boys. Also, Ford wants extra for revised chassis tuning, but then then adds adjustable strut mounts to throw it off?)

From what I can tell, aside from the spoiler and the wheels, nothing else is actually worthwhile. I decided against the option because it made better sense to keep the standard street friendly wheels & tires for everyday use and use that $5K to buy a 2ND set of performance wheels/tires, perhaps 20" rims, for use when called for. May even be enough left over to get the Gurney spoiler too.

Did I miss something?
Sponsored

Lidsoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Darkhorse #0627
I think you made the right choice for yourself. Me I know Iā€™m going to track the car and these things will help out the box. I think a understanding and research into what the additions the handling pack can do to improve what youā€™d want out of a vehicle could help you better understand why someone or yourself could want or not want the package.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I think whether or not the HP is purchased will depend on the driver and their vision for the car.

If they are purchasing because they want something over and above the GT, but will not be going to the track, DH without HP makes sense. A DH without HP would make a great DD.

If they are purchasing as a collector/connoisseur, having a factory HP is an option to have, even if rarely used. It's only factory-installed once.

If they'd like the highest horsepower car, they're collecting and will track occasionally, the HP is welcome. It's turn-key.

If they'll be tracking often, an HP could make sense.

But if they are going to track even more or going to be operating at the upper-end, HP might not be the right choice. Someone seasoned, who knows suspension and tires well, might want to install their own, aftermarket pieces for a custom setup.

If performing on a track, the car needs some method of being recovered, in the event of a mechanical failure or accident. Tow hooks give the crews immediate access. Some use tow hooks. Some use tow straps. For the collector, it's a style thing. No front plate, but a hook.

The wider, lower-profile, stickier tires are welcome, for the track. Wider 19" rims to support. They're too sticky, pickup and throw too many rocks for the street. Those who don't track often, remove theirs and sell them to those that track more. Again for the collector, HP rims would be original to the car.

The adjustable strut mounts allow suspension geometries to be changed or adjusted over and above what one would normally use for street driving. Some track folks can be quite aggressive in their settings.

Spoilers and splitters bigger and more aggressive, to provide more grip/stability at higher speeds. But the splitter is low. Like limbo low. DD an HP with the splitter, the driver will be scraping the bottom sometimes. Some remove the bottom half of the splitter. Some just keep on trucking, with the idea they'll replace it later.

As some engines can be tuned and their programming adjusted, Ford gives the HP buyer a more aggressive Magneride tune, to support the physical suspension bits laid out above.

Some buyers do what you describe: they buy a non-HP and tailor it to their needs. Wheels and tires, spoiler, maybe a few other things.

At the extreme, some go all-out. They buy a non-HP, take the car and install multiple aftermarket pieces, primarily suspension, for a different, more aggressive, track-focus ride.

Of the informal polls and posts, roughly half the Mach 1 owners bought the HP. There's probably a handful HP and non-HP owners which later regretted their decision. By-and-large, most were very happy with what they initially selected.

If any buyer later determines they made the wrong decision...

HP buyer:
- Remove the bottom half of the front splitter
- Change rims and tires
- Confirm the physical suspension alignment is adjusted for "street" (Owner's Supplement contains geometry settings)

non-HP buyer:
- Could physically install almost all Ford OEM parts. $$$. Only someone reading the Window Sticker will know
- Go to the aftermarket and customize to your needs

Last edited:

mabcim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64.5 Mustang Conv, ā€˜22 Maverick, ā€˜23 Escape
I do not plan to track the car, so I would not get the HP.
Also realize the HP tires will not last at all, so you will buy tires pretty soon.

goodlettjr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I think whether or not the HP is purchased will depend on the driver and their vision for the car.

If they are purchasing because they want something over and above the GT, but will not be going to the track, DH without HP makes sense. A DH without HP would make a great DD.

If they are purchasing as a collector/connoisseur, having a factory HP is an option to have, even if rarely used. It's only factory-installed once.

If they'd like the highest horsepower car, they're collecting and will track occasionally, the HP is welcome. It's turn-key.

If they'll be tracking often, an HP could make sense.

But if they are going to track even more or going to be operating at the upper-end, HP might not be the right choice. Someone seasoned, who knows suspension and tires well, might want to install their own, aftermarket pieces for a custom setup.

If performing on a track, the car needs some method of being recovered, in the event of a mechanical failure or accident. Tow hooks give the crews immediate access. Some use tow hooks. Some use tow straps. For the collector, it's a style thing. No front plate, but a hook.

The wider, lower-profile, stickier tires are welcome, for the track. Wider 19" rims to support. They're too sticky, pickup and throw too many rocks for the street. Those who don't track often, remove theirs and sell them to those that track more. Again for the collector, HP rims would be original to the car.

The adjustable strut mounts allow suspension geometries to be changed or adjusted over and above what one would normally use for street driving. Some track folks can be quite aggressive in their settings.

Spoilers and splitters bigger and more aggressive, to provide more grip/stability at higher speeds. But the splitter is low. Like limbo low. DD an HP with the splitter, the driver will be scraping the bottom sometimes. Some remove the bottom half of the splitter. Some just keep on trucking, with the idea they'll replace it later.

As some engines can be tuned and their programming adjusted, Ford gives the HP buyer a more aggressive Magneride tune, to support the physical suspension bits laid out above.

Some buyers do what you describe: they buy a non-HP and tailor it to their needs. Wheels and tires, spoiler, maybe a few other things.

At the extreme, some go all-out. They buy a non-HP, take the car and install multiple aftermarket pieces, primarily suspension, for a different, more aggressive, track-focus ride.

Of the informal polls and posts, roughly half the Mach 1 owners bought the HP. There's probably a handful HP and non-HP owners which later regretted their decision. By-and-large, most were very happy with what they initially selected.

If any buyer later determines they made the wrong decision...

HP buyer:
- Remove the bottom half of the front splitter
- Change rims and tires
- Confirm the physical suspension alignment is adjusted for "street" (Owner's Supplement contains geometry settings)

non-HP buyer:
- Could physically install almost all Ford OEM parts. $$$. Only someone reading the Window Sticker will know
- Go to the aftermarket and customize to your needs
Excellent write up.

Pyroguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting
I don't plan on driving mine in the rain and will not be a daily, so I'm not too worried about the tires.

I think the HP just looks nice. The Mach 1 looked good with the HP too.

Ryunker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 convertible, 1971 Mach1
I'm starting to doubt myself, I see a good number of people who have ordered the handling package on their DH, and wondering if I screwed the pooch. I would appreciate some feedback.

-replaces the 255+275 wide 40 profile wheels & tires with 305+315 wide 30 profile wheels & tires, both 19" rims
-Adds Adjustable Top Strut Mounts (to what purpose? How is this better than the standard magneride controls?)
-Adds Front Towing Hooks (um, ok, does anyone actually need towing hooks, or is that a race track thing?)
-Magnetic Damping System (the car comes standard with magneride, is this any different?)
-replaces the std spoiler with a Performance Rear Spoiler w. Gurney Flap (ok, that's neat)
-Revised Chassis tuning (first of all, chassis tuning, is that like camber/toes/caster? I can get that for $100 at Pep Boys. Also, Ford wants extra for revised chassis tuning, but then then adds adjustable strut mounts to throw it off?)

From what I can tell, aside from the spoiler and the wheels, nothing else is actually worthwhile. I decided against the option because it made better sense to keep the standard street friendly wheels & tires for everyday use and use that $5K to buy a 2ND set of performance wheels/tires, perhaps 20" rims, for use when called for. May even be enough left over to get the Gurney spoiler too.

Did I miss something?

For what its worth, I opted to ditch the HP and do not regret it at all on the DH order. Allergic to tire wear, and chassis tuning, for me its a meh.

Good luck on your future car.

OP
OP

LCDRChemEng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BE DH Premium A10
Thank you for the reply. I understand your points, and I'm loathe to sound argumentative, but I still feel like even for those who DO want to track the car the HP is not a worthwhile option.

You mentioned a fat bottom lip, I don't see it in the description. I know the 2023 GT with PP had one, but the configurator only mentions the Gurney spoiler. Same goes for the a more aggressive Magneride tune.

As for suspension settings, to quote Mr. Myagi: "Karate you do yes or karate you do no, karate you do 'guess so' you get crushed like grape." Dedicated track hacks will seek their own settings and probably will benefit not at all from "advanced" factory settings. Perhaps they have a use for tow hooks and adjustable strut tops. I concede the point, albeit grudgingly since there's not much value there.

That leaves the rubber. Option A: replace the skinny tires with beefy ones, which will wear quicker, guzzle more gas, and cost more to replace. Option B: keep the skinny tires and buy a 2nd beefy set for the track. If it's the same cost for both options, the only advantage of Option A is the spoiler and the tow hook, which may be also within the budget of Option B.

Bottom line, buyers who don't plan to track will probably only choose the HP for the looks. Buyers who do plan to track the car will probably only choose the HP for the tires. Either way, IMHO it's much better to wave off the HP and DIY.

For the record, I don't plan to track the car for the same reason I don't plan to sleep with Jennifer Aniston. It's not that I don't want to, I just don't have the skills. I do plan to drag it.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I do plan to drag it.
I'd like to think Ford considered it: a lightweight or drag pack option for those headed to the strip. It would be cool to see them do it. But looking at material supply, engineering, production and all that, they probably shelved it due to costs, lack of personnel and/or time.

CarGuyBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse Blue Ember - 22 Mach-E GTPE - Bronco
I raced for 15 years in IMSA and Pro SCCA and I opted Not to get the HP on my Blue Ember DH. I looked at the options just as you did and did not see the value in the package. I also do Not like the extra plastic fender flare on the front fenders you get with the package because the front tires stick out. I to second guessed it but though about it again and am sticking with my original order.

karenspringer99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT

Did I miss something?
As far as tow hooks haha, I had a GT lived in New York, didn't drive in winter but if got caught early in a inch of snow on a slight incline, wasn't going anywhere..tow hooks would have come in handy. Even wet roads could get me a little stuck.

BLITZM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cayman S
I raced for 15 years in IMSA and Pro SCCA and I opted Not to get the HP on my Blue Ember DH. I looked at the options just as you did and did not see the value in the package. I also do Not like the extra plastic fender flare on the front fenders you get with the package because the front tires stick out. I to second guessed it but though about it again and am sticking with my original order.
Getting track camber, let's say -3Ā°, will just mean that tyres will tuck under the guards - even less reason for those silly plastic extensions.

I would be surprised if Ford doesn't provide a screw on tow hook, one per car, as standard on all the cars.
Both my 86 and my GR Yaris Rallye came with the tow hook standard. If Ford doesn't provide one on the non-HP its not a big deal - those things are cheap to buy aftermarket and usually look better with red swivel eyelets.

Tacticly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ram TRX

Did I miss something?
For me who is a low mile long term owner the money will come back in residuals wonā€™t be many built with package sure many of the later orders with it might even get canceled supply chain like they did with mach one 22/23 orders in many cases

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona Blue 301A, PP2, Active Exhaust, Recaro's
Thank you for the reply. I understand your points, and I'm loathe to sound argumentative, but I still feel like even for those who DO want to track the car the HP is not a worthwhile option.

You mentioned a fat bottom lip, I don't see it in the description. I know the 2023 GT with PP had one, but the configurator only mentions the Gurney spoiler. Same goes for the a more aggressive Magneride tune.

As for suspension settings, to quote Mr. Myagi: "Karate you do yes or karate you do no, karate you do 'guess so' you get crushed like grape." Dedicated track hacks will seek their own settings and probably will benefit not at all from "advanced" factory settings. Perhaps they have a use for tow hooks and adjustable strut tops. I concede the point, albeit grudgingly since there's not much value there.

That leaves the rubber. Option A: replace the skinny tires with beefy ones, which will wear quicker, guzzle more gas, and cost more to replace. Option B: keep the skinny tires and buy a 2nd beefy set for the track. If it's the same cost for both options, the only advantage of Option A is the spoiler and the tow hook, which may be also within the budget of Option B.

Bottom line, buyers who don't plan to track will probably only choose the HP for the looks. Buyers who do plan to track the car will probably only choose the HP for the tires. Either way, IMHO it's much better to wave off the HP and DIY.

For the record, I don't plan to track the car for the same reason I don't plan to sleep with Jennifer Aniston. It's not that I don't want to, I just don't have the skills. I do plan to drag it.
Thoughts from a "track guy".

When I ordered my M1 I thought about skipping out on the handling package. I figured I could order many of the parts I wanted from the HP separately. As I worked through the math plus the fact that I get them from the factory instead of being add-on and the fact that I couldn't order a rear seat delete without ordering the HP, I decided it was worth to me.

The adjustable strut mounts for more negative camber without having to install after market ones is nice. They come locked with set screws from the factory so if you're just driving on the street you can just leave it. However, it might be worth removing them for a more accurate street alignment as well.

I don't know what magic Ford does for their chassis tuning but really I wanted the best car for the track without doing a bunch of after market stuff. I had a PP2 that I did minimal after market stuff with and even that little bit made the ride worse then the M1.

Bottom line is just do what you think is best for you and don't worry about and maybe even be happy for those that choose differently than you do. Also, I haven't dug into the specifics of the DH since I decided I preferred the S550/M1 better so not sure if this info is the same or not. As for the M1, all M1 owners get a removable tow hook in the owners package. So I'm told but I don't have my owners package yet. As someone mentioned, if the DH is the same just go buy a ZL1 tow hook and keep the Ford one put away.
Sponsored