• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Why did you get an Automatic over a 6 Speed?

cosmo73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1, 2024 GT
I keep hearing this, and I'm curious when this happened? This is my first time buying a Ford, and it's this mustang with the MT82. I currently have no issues, no lock out, nothing. What was the big deal, and when did they get sued? I only started to hear this after I bought my car, but I don't really care what happened too much in the past, but some keep talking about this online. Was just curious to get your take on since you sound like you were impacted by it. did you get in on that law suit too? I honestly don't think I'll have issues, because this car won't see to many mile more than likely, as I'm still under 500 miles after almost 2 months. I do plan on getting it on the road this summer though. Thanks.
Here you go. Many more hits from a quick Google search:

http://www.yourlegaljustice.com/ford-mustang-manual-transmission-mt82-legal-claim-options/
Sponsored

OP
OP
Rapid_RedGT

Rapid_RedGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT
Based on what I've read, from the information given. It's 2011-17 Ford Mustang equipped with the MT82 manual transmission.

I think some may be reaching by labeling ALL MT82 Mustang cars, that's what I see online a lot. Those who are in those yearsv shown should get taken care of, but I think there may be a LARGE number of people just wanting to get on the train to keep something going. I've seen a TON of others say they have not one issue. But the are lots that appear to just be taking. I know cars fall apart, but when I read about the MT82, it's just drama. I hope to not have issues, and I hope those that need help get it. Done and done.

mabcim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64.5 Mustang Conv, ā€˜22 Maverick, ā€˜23 Escape
A little late to this thread, it was an interesting read.
I struggle over Manual vs auto.
It will mostly be a summer car for me. But will take longer trips, not just a weekend toy.

I would like the feel of a manual, but been a very long time since I drove one regularly. I bought a new Chevy Beretta w/auto. After a year decided I wanted a Manual, so traded for exact same w/manual, love it. So yeah, it has been a while.
I hear all this talk about Tremac vs plain MT, hard to tell how real all that is. Nothing is perfect and people will have good & bad experiences with anything.

I recall my knee not liking manuals I have driven more recently. Gets a little sore, not sure it is a heavy clutch thing or working a part of the knee that it isnā€™t used so much. Do not know how heavy the clutch is in the Mustang, will have to drive one to know.

Then they I find out ACC isnā€™t in the manual. I have only had ACC for 2 years, in my Maverick, and I love it. Lane centering is great too. I thought Iā€™d use ACC just on long trips, but I do use it at times on local highways, so lane centering is active.

I have had remote start for so many years now, and that is also auto only. It is not a cold weather only thing. Great on hot days to pre-cool the car.

Then they tease me with remote rev, and say that is only on auto.

I have been watching reviews to see if paddle shifting could be enough to satisfy part of what a manual gives you. Yes, never the same, but it is something.

At this point looks like an auto me for.

sagonzal2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT 350
I have a Honda Accord as a daily and the gt350 comes out on the weekends so itā€™s a great change of pace. Makes working a long week rewarding waking up on Saturday morning to bang gears!

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lincoln Continental Reserve; 2024 Mustang GT
No car has EVER been designed to do this. No car has been designed to do half of this!

There have been cars that manage this but the vast majority don't. If you want that sort of resilience you will need to pay a lot more money for your cars!

4 speed gearbox! Wow 'get me horse'!
I learned on "three on a tree"!

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lincoln Continental Reserve; 2024 Mustang GT

dusman59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 gt
Early Mt82's were mostly problematic by a poor shift linkage,people with poor shift habits that damaged internals. I'm not saying there were not some bad Mt82's made but the issue was over blown. There were some questions on oil and many changed from the factory fill. Ford has made made improvements over the years.
I never had problems with my Mt82 but felt the factory shifter was sloppy so it was change out to a MGW which was more precise. The factory fill was also changed out to Redline as I felt it was better for the synchros.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
I learned on "three on a tree"!
1969 Chevrolet C10 pickup. Straight 6 cylinder with a 'three on the tree'. Wish it was still around.

Mastermind46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Nissan Xterra, 2001 Chevy Silverado
I went with the auto. I have never bought an auto. My parents gave me the 01 Silverado that I daily. I have really appreciated the auto in Denver traffic.

My biggest reasons to go with an auto were:
1) Wife can more easily drive an auto
2) I will daily the car in nice weather
3) Auto can hold power better and I am planning to get a whipple

Gr8ful

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Santa Cruz, V-Strom 650
Two things said in previous posts.

1. No start/stop for the 6 speed. Incorrect. I have seen one. Check your owners manual, it's addressed in there.

2. " I turn everything off or I pull the fuse. Maybe 15-20 years ago we could that, but now with all the BCMs talking to each other, you will cause other systems to malfunction. Almost nothing is powered direct from the fusebox anymore.
My $.02 worth.

IFFV68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150 Limited
Let me start by saying, I have a 6 speed S650...

I got it, because it had been almost 15 years since I drove a manual, and I wanted to have some fun on the weekends when I drive this car. I came from a 2023 C8 Corvette, and it was GREAT. I just felt like I was not having as much fun. So when the 24 Mustang was announced, I placed an order in Nov. 2023. After selling my C8, I just waited for this car to arrive. Once I got it, I then remembered why I loved manuals so much. There is nothing wrong with an automatic, and most will tell you it's faster. But I think it comes down to the MODs, and the driver. Mainly the driver. I've seen MANY, 6 speeds cars KILL autos. But I'm not in it for that. I'm retired, and this is just a car I wanna have fun on sunny days with.

*Side note* - a car I would LOVE to get if I can find one in great shape, and with low enough miles is the 6 speed C6 Corvette. ZR1 Would be nice...

Why did you get an automatic over a 6 speed? Or you are rowing your own gears?
I chose the 10-Speed Auto over thr 6 Speed because Iā€™m 76 yrs. Old & have Tit
i'm with you 100%, the whole manual vs auto debate is kinda lame, but when the manual or auto elitists get involved, it's just downright idiotic
I ordered the 10-Speed Automatic over the 6 Speed because Iā€™m 76 years old.
I also have Titanium rods in my femur & Tibula.
My left knee needs replaced. All ready did the right knee.
Automatics work very well in traffic.
Too be young again with all the new technology!

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
I chose the 10-Speed Auto over thr 6 Speed because Iā€™m 76 yrs. Old & have Tit

I ordered the 10-Speed Automatic over the 6 Speed because Iā€™m 76 years old.
I also have Titanium rods in my femur & Tibula.
My left knee needs replaced. All ready did the right knee.
Automatics work very well in traffic.
Too be young again with all the new technology!
Tbh I rather enjoyed your first response. But then once completed I completely understand.
Sponsored