• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Why did you get an Automatic over a 6 Speed?

Rapid_RedGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT
Let me start by saying, I have a 6 speed S650...

I got it, because it had been almost 15 years since I drove a manual, and I wanted to have some fun on the weekends when I drive this car. I came from a 2023 C8 Corvette, and it was GREAT. I just felt like I was not having as much fun. So when the 24 Mustang was announced, I placed an order in Nov. 2023. After selling my C8, I just waited for this car to arrive. Once I got it, I then remembered why I loved manuals so much. There is nothing wrong with an automatic, and most will tell you it's faster. But I think it comes down to the MODs, and the driver. Mainly the driver. I've seen MANY, 6 speeds cars KILL autos. But I'm not in it for that. I'm retired, and this is just a car I wanna have fun on sunny days with.

*Side note* - a car I would LOVE to get if I can find one in great shape, and with low enough miles is the 6 speed C6 Corvette. ZR1 Would be nice...

Why did you get an automatic over a 6 speed? Or you are rowing your own gears?
Sponsored

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
I have always owned a manual and will as long as I am able to operate one BUT there are reasons for an automatic. My mother never learned to really drive a manual which is true of many today. Los Angles freeway traffic is almost enough for you to think about getting an auto. Some people just aren't connected with the car so they prefer something they only need to point in the right direction. Some out here have failing knees and the clutch is painful to operate. Last there is luxury driver who just like the comfort and doesn't want the work of driving. Probably about 80% of the population fits into this group today which means if you have a manual, you have an additional security device in your car.

ArthurJGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 GTO, '06 GTO, '22 Expy, '22 F-250, '24 Mustang
I've had a number of manual cars, still have one currently, but the advances in auto technology in the past 10 years combined with the less than stellar rep that the M6 has made it a very easy choice.

agreywolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grabber Blue Mustang GT premium w/PP
My personal reasons:
Better performance
Better daily drivability in traffic
More comfort features (remote start mainly)
Still retains manual shifting via the paddle system

But mostly:
Daily drove my manual 2010 GT for 5 years and honestly don't see the appeal of having to use a clutch pedal.

Q6543

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
Because itā€™s not a foxbody from 30 plus years ago and I race.

the whole reason I bought manuals in foxes was because they OUTPERFORMED the auto significantly!!

itā€™s been decades nowā€¦ and the new manuals canā€™t even begin to compete with how amazing the 10R80 isā€¦ the auto IS the performance option!

I still keep a manual fox and ST, but now all I feel is the ridiculous loss in momentum when shiftingā€¦ sure ripping gears is satisfying, but so are the damn paddles.

and NO 6 speed cars are ā€œkillingā€ autos, I just watched a WHIPPLED S550 manual barely keep up with a N/A 10r80.

RaceRedder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse HP
Automatic is the way to go.

Easier driving. Left foot can rest. I'm a cruiser doing many roadtrips and I want to chill out in the vehicle instead of frustrating myself in traffic shifting all the time.

I drove 20 years of manuals and this is my first automatic vehicle ever owning one. And I don't understand why I never owned automatics before.

What I find funny in American culture is that "car enthousiasts" always brag about driving manual because almost all their vehicles are automatic.

It's only people in the US that do this. Go to Europe or Israel and "brag" about driving manual and they will laugh their ass out. Even grannies drive manual.

šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
i got an auto because of a few reasons
- i do autocross and it allows me to focus on cornering
- i value comfort while driving, hence why i didnt get the recaros too
- i really like remote start
- sometimes i just need to get somewhere without worrying about shifting
- taking off from red lights and stop signs in manuals stresses me out so much
- sometimes my left hip gets a nerve pinched and i can barely move it without pain
- stop and go traffic, especially with the current Loop 101 construction
- i dont have to worry about missing/messing up a shift
- faster acceleration
- road trips are easier/more fun

Last edited:

ShaBoingBoing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti G37
If the gt had the tremec I would have gotten the manual. The 10 speed is a very good automatic and I would prefer a good auto over a mediocre/bad manual. Durability aside, the gear ratios in the mt82 are not as well suited towards the coyote. I also already own other cars with good manual transmissions.

samson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 GT Convertible 401A, AVE, Brembos
My current Grand Cherokee SRT is the first and only automatic transmission car I have owned in my lifetime. Since the day I got it I have missed rowing my own gears. Automatic, to me, gives me a disconnect from the car. I feel more like a passenger than a driver. So I am 100% going for MT in the S650.

dusman59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 gt
I can still shift my 2011 like a mad man. I got the A10 because as I get older and things slow down my MY24 wont.šŸ

jexsk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5
Iā€™ve had a number of manuals and while they are a blast in the right conditions they are just no match for modern automatics from a performance perspective. That combined with losing features in the manual like remote start made the auto a no brainer for me.

Also having two MT82 in prior Mustangs I really do not like that transmission. If the GT had been a Tremec it would have been a little harder decision but likely would have still gone for the auto

JPGC_S650

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 2022 HD Road King Special
S650 Mustang Why did you get an Automatic over a 6 Speed? 1707857500355

In all reality, I don't get the whole manual vs auto thing. Either you want a manual or you want an auto. I've had both and enjoyed both. Autos nowadays are fast and manuals are more engaging, imo.

Last edited:

509Mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 F-150 4X4. Waiting on 2024 GT convertible in
Over the 57 years of driving Iā€™ve driven farm trucks dump trucks and tractors all manuals. First car was a 41 Plymouth and have had a mix of automatic and manual cars over the years. Also rode motorcycles. My 24 GT is a 10a. Lots of hills where I live with stop lights on them and the auto is more relaxing to drive.
Sponsored