• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

10 Speed Automatic feedback?

Illini4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang GT, 2017 Mustang GT
I'm planning to order a '24 GT Convertible soon, with automatic transmission, but wish it could be a 6 speed, like my 2017. I don't do a lot of paddle shifting, but it seems like paddle shifting a 10 speed would be a struggle. Would appreciate some feedback on this.
Sponsored

Interstellar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
10 speeds = faster and more efficient. Not much to be said. There’s 7 forward gears and 3 overdrive gears. You will be using the paddles more than a 6 speed but wishing for one will never happen.
Reviews are saying this 10 speed has a more refined tuning compared to the last gen which was one place there was some gripes.

Jrws1014

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost Premium Convertible
You says you’re getting a Automatic, but wish you could get a 6 Speed, then get the 6 Speed….

93-Oct Mayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
You says you’re getting a Automatic, but wish you could get a 6 Speed, then get the 6 Speed….
6spd automatic

Jrws1014

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Shawn82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang HPP
The 6 Spd automatic is drastically inferior to the 10 speed for many reasons like Interstellar said.

Jrws1014

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Decio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Convertible
Order it today and get in line. That way you can spend the next few months contemplating the transmission! With EPA regs., they are going to squeeze every fraction of MPG they can, so that means more gears not less. Check out other threads here on the AT transmission. I was on the fence but in my hilly area the AT is just more convenient so I ordered it.

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
Prior to my GT350 I owned an 18 PP1 10 speed car......prior to that I would have NEVER considered getting an automatic Mustang....but the 10 speed in the GT is that good......its extremely intuitive and yes you can still use paddle shifters but in sport mode didnt ever feel like I really needed to ....

I will also say....once you experience drag mode in the 10 speed- any desire to have the old 6 speed will fade away quickly

(although the 6 speed auto can by built quite nicely for an all out drag car- but stock to stock Ill take the 10 speed any day of the week)

marcekb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium, 2024 GT Premium ordered
I will also say....once you experience drag mode in the 10 speed- any desire to have the old 6 speed will fade away quickly
While I have the 10-speed in my 21 GT PP...I can't argue the excellence on the drag strip. And I love that automatic generally. Can't go wrong. But as often as I drag it, and with every creation against which to race on the strip, it doesn't really matter what you're running until you are in it for money. I went 6MT for the 2024, because I'm usually on a road where that's simply more fun.

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
While I have the 10-speed in my 21 GT PP...I can't argue the excellence on the drag strip. And I love that automatic generally. Can't go wrong. But as often as I drag it, and with every creation against which to race on the strip, it doesn't really matter what you're running until you are in it for money. I went 6MT for the 2024, because I'm usually on a road where that's simply more fun.
I'm with you 100% hence why I have a 350 now and not a 500... I could care less about lap times or drag racing... I mean it I just wanted to win drag races I'd buy a Tesla...

To me it's all about experience hence why I'm back with a manual

Katastrophe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14' Honda Civic EX; 14' Honda VFR800 DLX
Wait until you can drive both (or find a few used S550's and have a go), then make a decision. An automatic will never scratch the itch that a manual car can and vice versa. One isn't "better" than the other, it's just preference. Number sheets vs driving enjoyment, etc.

EDIT: One point here, (as I see you have a 2017) the gear ratios were revised on the 2018+ manual cars. 4th gear is the 1:1 on the MT82 D4 vs 5th gear on the Tremec that's available in the M1 and DH. Keep in mind that the gear ratios are long as hell on these cars. It really saps the power with these junk ratios. If Ford offered a 4.30 rear gear or something aggressive, it would wake up the stick cars to no end. In short, the 10A is a rocket ship compared to the extremely long-legged stick cars.

BlackFerret69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang GT Premium 5M, Black on Black.
To me it's all about experience hence why I'm back with a manual
I went 6MT for the 2024, because I'm usually on a road where that's simply more fun.
100%!!! Especially as I only get to drive ~10 miles a day, I want to enjoy every second of it!

Finface

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Hellcat Red Eye, 2002 WRX Wagon
Hello - new forum member. Trying to decide which model I'd like - leaning towards the eco-boost as a daily driver.

These questions may fall into the "arcane knowledge" department, but technical details can be fun and maybe the answers can help me, and others, decide.

Is the 10 speed automatic in the eco-boost model the same exact transmission as the 10 speed automatic in the GT (or the Dark Horse for that matter)? Do their internal parts differ?

I believe a YouTube reviewer mentioned the eco-boost's auto has different shift mapping points to optimize performance, so there is that difference if true.

If the internal parts are the same would it be fair to say the eco-boost's transmission is "overbuilt" in terms of its ruggedness, and perhaps long term reliability, since its auto can also handle the greater HP and torque of the GT?

Also, for Upacurb...was your comment in this thread about the automatic's "sport mode" being as good as paddle-shifting something to consider, and relevant, to the base eco-boost model that doesn't come with paddle shifters?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored