• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Why did you get an Automatic over a 6 Speed?

agreywolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grabber Blue Mustang GT premium w/PP
its why i keep saying: as it sits right now, its entirely drivers choice as to what transmission to go with, any argument for manuals over autos has the exact same argument for autos over manuals. just drive whatever you want because at the end of the day the best car in the world is the one in your driveway
Sponsored

OP
OP
Rapid_RedGT

Rapid_RedGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT
Honestly, i did not see the point of owning an American made muscle car that is an automatic. Something about the sound of that coyote engine as it goes through the gears is music to my ears. To each their own though!
THIS, this right here. That is one of the MAIN reason I got a manual, I love the sound of this engine. I've owned so many sports cars in an auto, I just didn't have the same smile on my face while driving. LOL

myvaporblue5.0pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium/Vapor Blue/PP/401A
Honestly, i did not see the point of owning an American made muscle car that is an automatic. Something about the sound of that coyote engine as it goes through the gears is music to my ears. To each their own though!
Actually, when I drive my 10R80 2024 Mustang GT PP in Sport mode, I hear the Coyote shift through all the gears! I'm old school, and thought I wouldn't get to hear the engine but I do. My car came with non-active exhaust so we just recently had Pypes cat back exhaust switched out.
Drive a 10R80. You will be amazed! There is NO WAY a human can change gears as fast as the 10R80. And I still get to hear the engine roar!

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ

OP
OP
Rapid_RedGT

Rapid_RedGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT
It seems that most people that got this car in an A10, only talk about that it's faster than the 6/M. I think some forget, that a manual car is still fast. Maybe not as fast off the line...BUT anyone can just put their foot on the pedal. (Some get that wrong too) Nothing against people who drive an A10 in this car, but there is more than getting off the line fast. I know that I can not shift like a computer. But where is the FUN? That is one of the main reasons I went with the 6/M...to me, it's much more fun. AND it's still just as fast as the A10, no matter how you look at it. The driver means a lot. Yeah, you can drive in sport mode...but it's just not the same in my opinion. Respectfully, it's not the same. This for sure is personal preference, but there are also a lot of people that don't know HOW to drive a manual too. I say they should learn. YES, I've driven the A10, it's cool...but nothing beats the feeling of pushing the car your own way. I'm not bias to the manual at all either, it's just THIS car is so much fun in a manual. I have 3 other cars that are ATs, one is MUCH faster than an A10 Mustang too, but is it more fun? Nahhh

cosmo73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1, 2024 GT
The MT-82 in the new gen was a colossal disappointment!!! I cannot emphasize how lousy of a decision that was on Ford’s part for 2 reasons:

1. They have been sued to no end regarding the poor quality.
2. The car simply deserves a better manual transmission.

And the fact I can no longer shift faster than an automatic. If it had the Tremec I probably would have grabbed the 6 Speed.

Last edited:

horned-toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi S5
If it had the Tremec I probably would have grabbed the 6 Speed.
I wouldn't be SO quick to pull that trigger.

Either there is something rather amiss in my '23 M1 Tremec, or it hasn't broken in yet, or Ford made some changes. The Tremec in the GT350 (and Camaro SS/1LE) is like a rifle-bolt, snick snick, but plenty vague as to "is this thing actually all the way in the gate?" I've had a few times I thought the SS was in gear (1st, 3rd) and it wasn't by a smidge and popped out with an ugly gear grind.

The M1 has a very noticeable detent to it. Not as well defined as the detent in the MT82D4 though, esp after you put the rear bushing in and optionally a Steeda/FP short-throw.

I'm going to hunt down a DH (and another M1) to see if like mine or like the GT350/SS of yore.
The S650 GT had a reasonable detent to its action suggesting perhaps they firmed up the rear bushing a bit from lime Jello.

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
Back in 1989, I was test driving a manual Mustang in Harbor City, CA. It may have been a McLaren (?) version, so it was only available in manual. The salesman tried to teach me, since it would have been a big sale compared to a stock Mustang. After I stalled out the car numerous times on a very busy PCH on a Saturday afternoon, after almost an hour, the salesman had me get out and switch seats with him--IN THE MIDDLE OF PCH--and he drove us back to the dealership, "No manual for you." Never tried to drive a manual since. Can't chew gum and walk at the same time either!
My dad took me out in the desert where the roads were used so little that they were still dirt. I was still on my learners permit so I needed to work on pointing the car in the right direction as well as shifting. If you stall the car, no big deal. After I got it down a little, there was a large open area behind our house so I could practice there. Now days people use empty parking lots and surface streets in neighborhoods.
If you can touch type, you have the potential. For that matter, walking requires much the same skills that are needed to manage a manual. Learning takes time and it doesn't happen on one session. For that matter, when I drive a different car there is a period of time where you adjust to the different feel of the car. I haven't stalled the dark horse but there have been a few jerky starts.
It's muscle memory which amounts to anything you do without really thinking about it.

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No yearning at all. Just like no yearning to try a raw oyster or a raw tomato! 😀
I agree with raw oysters however a proper vine ripened tomato is a different story. This from somebody who wasn't fond of tomatoes when I was younger. Beef steak is one of the better ones and if you have a neighbor who grows them, you might ask for one.

Reactions: Zig
OP
OP
Rapid_RedGT

Rapid_RedGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT
The MT-82 in the new gen was a colossal disappointment!!! I cannot emphasize how lousy of a decision that was on Ford’s part for 2 reasons:

And the fact I can no longer shift faster than an automatic. If it had the Tremec I probably would have grabbed the 6 Speed.
I keep hearing this, and I'm curious when this happened? This is my first time buying a Ford, and it's this mustang with the MT82. I currently have no issues, no lock out, nothing. What was the big deal, and when did they get sued? I only started to hear this after I bought my car, but I don't really care what happened too much in the past, but some keep talking about this online. Was just curious to get your take on since you sound like you were impacted by it. did you get in on that law suit too? I honestly don't think I'll have issues, because this car won't see to many mile more than likely, as I'm still under 500 miles after almost 2 months. I do plan on getting it on the road this summer though. Thanks.

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I keep hearing this, and I'm curious when this happened? This is my first time buying a Ford, and it's this mustang with the MT82. I currently have no issues, no lock out, nothing. What was the big deal, and when did they get sued? I only started to hear this after I bought my car, but I don't really care what happened too much in the past, but some keep talking about this online. Was just curious to get your take on since you sound like you were impacted by it. did you get in on that law suit too? I honestly don't think I'll have issues, because this car won't see to many mile more than likely, as I'm still under 500 miles after almost 2 months. I do plan on getting it on the road this summer though. Thanks.
The transmission in my 96 had a problem in the 3-4 gear fork and Ford had an upgrade for the problem. I still have the original parts but then again, I never tracked the car making the failure more likely for somebody who did.
A quick word to that great god google who knows almost everything shows that the transmission was upgraded and those problems should be resolved or at least improved.
CJ pony parts

agreywolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grabber Blue Mustang GT premium w/PP
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/mt-82-class-action-lawsuit.142512/

its been an ongoing complaint since 2011 when the mt82 was introduced, Ford claims they fixed it post 2020 but there have been multiple TSBs for the MT82-D4 that mirror everything in the original lawsuit.

horned-toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi S5
Beef steak is one of the better ones and if you have a neighbor who grows them,
indeed, the marbling and the fat dripping off of a well seasoned cut of 'beef steak' - I go for ribeye myself. :)

Cody5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Performance Pack Level II

Actually, when I drive my 10R80 2024 Mustang GT PP in Sport mode, I hear the Coyote shift through all the gears! I'm old school, and thought I wouldn't get to hear the engine but I do. My car came with non-active exhaust so we just recently had Pypes cat back exhaust switched out.
Drive a 10R80. You will be amazed! There is NO WAY a human can change gears as fast as the 10R80. And I still get to hear the engine roar!
You have to go back pretty far to find an automatic that shifts slower than a decent manual driver. But even then the A10 isn’t faster because of how fast it shifts but rather gear ratios. A 18-current car (MT-82D4 & TR-3160) would be much quicker with ratios similar to those found in 11-17 cars.
Sponsored