• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

10 Speed Automatic feedback?

OP
OP
Illini4

Illini4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang GT, 2017 Mustang GT
had The paddle shifters in my Audi, hated them. they Seemed to always be in the way. If you wan’t to drive an automatic as a manual, buy a manual. husband And I have always said, to us, it isn’t a muscle car if it isn’t a manual. JMO

why couldn‘t you get a manual this time?
I've had 4 and 5 (5th overdrive) speed manuals, and really liked driving them. That was over 40 years ago. Today, a 6 speed manual would be too much shifting for me.
Sponsored

HWill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I've had 4 and 5 (5th overdrive) speed manuals, and really liked driving them. That was over 40 years ago. Today, a 6 speed manual would be too much shifting for me.

Just don't drive fast and you won't need to shift as much.
Or just skip some gears. LOL

Stratman397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep grand Cherokee, 2006 rubicon
Honey, I am 66 and having knee problems with my left knee, problems with my right arm and still getting a manual. 😂 we Have a manual jeep wrangler and I can still drive it without it bothering me too much. Hopefully they will figure out in the next week or two what is going on With my old body. I probably goofed up by not getting an automatic, But I cannot stand those paddles.

RJV15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic Si
This thread doesn't have to be about what is better. Its about the impressions you get from the A10.

Different people will have different opinions from the A10 based on their driving style. It would be great to hear that feedback, not people coming in here trying to belittle those who chose the A10 for one reason or another.

Jrws1014

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost Premium Convertible
NO!

Sounds like you have never driven a 10spd auto at all.

If I go by your thinking that makes no sense. By the time you press the clutch to shit in your manual the auto will have already downshifted to the correct gear to pass.
This doesn't make sense since in an auto you can downshift with the paddles to get the "power" you need to pass a car. I guarantee you I can press a paddle faster than you can downshift.

If you like driving manual then that's your reason for getting one, not because you can "anticipate the shift"
Nice try kid, but I trained for 15yrs under a master shifter to be able to change gears in microseconds with just my mind.
I feel like I’m explaining the intricacies of the Mona Lisa to a bunch of toddlers eating crayons…. How long did it take someone to convince you morons that it was possible to record on your VCR while watching a different Channel?

HWill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I feel like I’m explaining the intricacies of the Mona Lisa to a bunch of toddlers eating crayons…. How long did it take someone to convince you morons that it was possible to record on your VCR while watching a different Channel?

You might know more about the Mona Lisa but you are pretty ignorant about this topic.

Nice try though.

agreywolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grabber Blue Mustang GT premium w/PP
when I need to downshift to say pass a car, I can anticipate the need, determine the timing of my shift and do so in a way that ensures I have the power of the lower gear precisely when I want/need it. As opposed to an automatic that has to get a signal that the accelerator is pushed, the RPMs are climbing and a downshift is required, then it downshifts and can give the power you need to pass a car.

as I said, in a manual I can anticipate the need to downshift given my driving needs before the transmission would even begin to receive any indication that it needs to shift.

does this make sense now?
i can tell you right now thats 100% placebo the reason it feels off is because the trigger for the A10 is you pressing the gas vs you pressing the clutch in the M6, if you compare them side by side the time it takes you to press the cluctch, move the stick from 6 to 4, and depress the cluch thus returning power to the driveline, the A10 has already detected the throttle possition calculated the gear and moved into said gear. the placebo comes from the fact that with the manual you have to think about it before you start moving.

unfairslide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
If it makes you feel better I prefer and ordered the manual and understand what you were trying to explain. Just thought it was funny how heated the convo is getting and posted something dumb.

Stratman397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alright already. Who gives a shit? I am doing manual because I think the paddles are a waste of money! They are in the way, or mine in the Audi were . My 2018 rubicon had them and tried them one time and that was enough and they Weren’t the paddles behind the steering wheel it was in between the 2 seats, if I remember correctly, and it was easy, but ridiculous. I don’t understand why anybody wants to use paddles to make it sound like a manual. Just makes no sense! Maybe it’s because I’m an old timer manuals cost less and 10x more fun to drive!

Jrws1014

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i can tell you right now thats 100% placebo the reason it feels off is because the trigger for the A10 is you pressing the gas vs you pressing the clutch in the M6, if you compare them side by side the time it takes you to press the cluctch, move the stick from 6 to 4, and depress the cluch thus returning power to the driveline, the A10 has already detected the throttle possition calculated the gear and moved into said gear. the placebo comes from the fact that with the manual you have to think about it before you start moving.
and you just proved my point.

ONCE AGAIN MY ISSUE IS WITH THE DELAY IN WHEN MY BRAIN SAYS GO FASTER TO THE CAR ACTUALLY GOING FASTER.

with the manual I can press in the clutch (not going faster yet….not deciding it’s time to go faster only preparing for it…) and the release it and get on the gas in a lower gear (the moment I determine as the driver is the correct time to accelerate)

I get that if I mash the gas with an A10 it will then shift and go faster. But the moment I decided is the proper time to accelerate with the auto was when I pressed the gas down as opposed to the manual where I can put it in the correct gear and then decide to accelerate.

I’ve been pretty clear on the topic the entire time being about the delay in pressing the gas petal down and the shift happening. Because the car can’t assume you’re going to press the gas petal down all it can do it REACT to your input. That reaction is the issue. In a manual the reaction is instantaneous because I’ve already done what I need to do to PREPARE for the increase in speed. You are all looking at it as if the manual driverand The auto driver are both deciding the go faster at the the point. In reality they don’t. A manual driver will understand the need the downshift and do so right before they reach the point that they begin to accelerate. An auto driver can’t have that anticipation for the car or prepare to accelerate beyond pressing the gas down.

Now reply with paddles. Please say paddles!

yes you can paddle shift. If you want to change your car into sport mode and have that active. Then you can hit the paddle to downshift 3 times and hope you hit the right gear to get the torque you need to accelerate. Basically what I’ve been saying 4 times now is the A10 has a delay when you try to accelerate at a cruising speed that just feels clunky. Like I’ve said. Keep arguing all you want but you aren’t trying to see things from my point of view. You’re only telling yourself you’re right and I’m wrong. So enough. I gave my feedback. Calm The fuck down.

agreywolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grabber Blue Mustang GT premium w/PP
with the manual I can press in the clutch (not going faster yet….not deciding it’s time to go faster only preparing for it…) and the release it and get on the gas in a lower gear (the moment I determine as the driver is the correct time to accelerate
okay so, heres your logical fallacy

why are you downshifting on a road if not to accelerate? youve either already made the decision to accelerate, or youre an asshole who likes to hear their V8 at high revs for some reason. ill assume its not the later and that youve decided that you will be accelerating, congrats, you now have to shift down a gear taking more time than if you had just pressed the gas pedal instead, by the time you decided to accelerate guess what? the transmission is also already in the correct gear. its not fucking magic here, the transmission WILL shift down if you press the gas enough i did it all the time back when i owned a Fusion. ive had plenty of experience with both automatics and manuals to tell you, what youre feeling is 100% placebo, manuals are not faster than automatics, sure they may FEEL faster, but they are factually not.

HWill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
and you just proved my point.

ONCE AGAIN MY ISSUE IS WITH THE DELAY IN WHEN MY BRAIN SAYS GO FASTER TO THE CAR ACTUALLY GOING FASTER.

with the manual I can press in the clutch (not going faster yet….not deciding it’s time to go faster only preparing for it…) and the release it and get on the gas in a lower gear (the moment I determine as the driver is the correct time to accelerate)

I get that if I mash the gas with an A10 it will then shift and go faster. But the moment I decided is the proper time to accelerate with the auto was when I pressed the gas down as opposed to the manual where I can put it in the correct gear and then decide to accelerate.

I’ve been pretty clear on the topic the entire time being about the delay in pressing the gas petal down and the shift happening. Because the car can’t assume you’re going to press the gas petal down all it can do it REACT to your input. That reaction is the issue. In a manual the reaction is instantaneous because I’ve already done what I need to do to PREPARE for the increase in speed. You are all looking at it as if the manual driverand The auto driver are both deciding the go faster at the the point. In reality they don’t. A manual driver will understand the need the downshift and do so right before they reach the point that they begin to accelerate. An auto driver can’t have that anticipation for the car or prepare to accelerate beyond pressing the gas down.

Now reply with paddles. Please say paddles!

yes you can paddle shift. If you want to change your car into sport mode and have that active. Then you can hit the paddle to downshift 3 times and hope you hit the right gear to get the torque you need to accelerate. Basically what I’ve been saying 4 times now is the A10 has a delay when you try to accelerate at a cruising speed that just feels clunky. Like I’ve said. Keep arguing all you want but you aren’t trying to see things from my point of view. You’re only telling yourself you’re right and I’m wrong. So enough. I gave my feedback. Calm The fuck down.

So, you are saying you don't like Auto because your brain is slow?

Jrws1014

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

why are you downshifting on a road if not to accelerate? youve either already made the decision to accelerate, or youre an asshole who likes to hear their V8 at high revs for some reason. ill assume its not the later and that youve decided that you will be accelerating, congrats, you now have to shift down a gear taking more time than if you had just pressed the gas pedal instead, by the time you decided to accelerate guess what? the transmission is also already in the correct gear. its not fucking magic here, the transmission WILL shift down if you press the gas enough i did it all the time back when i owned a Fusion. ive had plenty of experience with both automatics and manuals to tell you, what youre feeling is 100% placebo, manuals are not faster than automatics, sure they may FEEL faster, but they are factually not.
That’s not what I was saying. Never said manuals were faster. Not sure where the disconnect is here. The difference is once again the delay in the auto downshifting. It’s clunky. We’re not going to agree because we’re no looking at this in the same light. Or atleast not at the same moment in the process.

Stratman397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

When I’m on the road, driving, I downshift, do you know how to even drive a manual? when you come up to a stop sign, or if someone pulls out in front of you. All kinds of reasons why. I’m sure I have been driving stick shifts longer than what you’ve been alive
Sponsored