• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You missed my point entirely... my point was that Mazda dropped 200 pounds from the NC Miata to the ND Miata... not that the Miata is lighter than the Mustang... I would have thought that point was made obvious by referencing the NC Miatas... and then the 5th to 6th Gen Camaro... but apparently not. The NC Miata is not significantly larger than the ND Miata and yet they still were able to drop 200 pounds of weight while adhering to more strict safety standards, without significantly increasing the price or compromising features. The Camaro is a little different, going from the Zeta to Alpha platform wasn't a huge change in wheelbase and width either. Only 2" of wheel base and 1" of width but it came with a 300 pound reduction in weight.

I'm not sure why you don't fit in a Miata... I'm 6'5" and a athletic 280lbs, I was able to get in and drive an NA Miata quite easily... the ND is easier for me to get into and out of. I can't drive with the roof up though...
You must be a short 6'5" or I'm a tall 6'2".
Yup, that's being able "fit" in a Miata:like:

OP
OP
amk91

amk91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTP PP and 2014 SVT Raptor SE
Um, okay...Staying more on topic, the hybrid should be launched instead for 2023 I imagine? I do think it is a big deal, even if not CD6 and staying on D2C. Does that warrant another forum, unlike the 1999 and 2010 changes of yore?

The question is, what limitations does the D2C platform present for the Mustang? Some aspects of this D2C were developed 20 years ago.

Two, how in the f*ck did CD6 go from Mustang capable, to becoming only CUV viable and essentially a wasteful investment as a modular FWD/AWD/RWD architecture? I've heard they're having to push back a CD6 Mustang, because it went from being fluidly modular, to becoming CUV-centric under Hackett. Meaning you can't readily spawn a sedan or coupe off of it.

It could've sooner spawned other Lincoln and Ford brand RWD products, plus others. FWD C2 should've been only a temporary placeholder, but now it seems like struggling Explorer, PI, and lofty Aviator will be the sole purveyors of the now RWD only CD6.

The S650 code was never supposed to be D2C based (an offshoot of DEW98 PAG RWD architecture), so S650 feels a little watered down in being utilized for a "new" 18 year old platform car. One can't be sure a replacement for S650 is even guaranteed this decade, if industry climate changes down the road.

Last edited:

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang 429, Tesla Model 3
Um, okay...Staying more on topic, the hybrid should be launched instead for 2023 I imagine? I do think it is a big deal, even if not CD6 and staying on D2C. Does that warrant another forum, unlike the 1999 and 2010 changes of yore?

The question is, what limitations does the D2C platform present for the Mustang? Some aspects of this D2C developed 20 years

Two, how in the f*ck did CD6 go from Mustang capable, to becoming only CUV viable and essentially a wasteful investment as FWD/AWD/RWD architecture? I've heard they're having to push back a CD6 Mustang, because it went from being fluidly modular, to becoming CUV-centric under Hackett. Meaning you can't readily spawn a sedan or coupe off of it.

It could've sooner spawned other Lincoln and Ford brand RWD products, plus others. FWD C2 should've been only a temporary placeholder, but now it seems like struggling Explorer, PI, and lofty Aviator will be the sole purveyors of the now RWD only CD6.

The S650 code was never supposed to be D2C based (an offshoot of DEW98 PAG RWD architecture), so S650 feels a little watered down in being utilized for a "new" 18 year old platform car. One can't be sure a replacement for S650 is even guaranteed this decade, if industry climate changes down the road.
IF the speculation is correct, my guess is Hackett is focused on CUVs and SUVs and trucks only now so making engineering decisions to CD6 to keep it compatible with a sedan was pushed way down on the priority list.

My speculation here now.... S650 is a heavily modified S550 to support large batteries required for plug in hybrids and likely has significant weight savings due to the use of aluminum. That's why it got a new designation even though it's closely based on the S550. S750 is the all new platform (possibly entirely electric focused).

Nexus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
S650 is a heavily modified S550 to support large batteries required for plug in hybrids and likely has significant weight savings due to the use of aluminum. That's why it got a new designation even though it's closely based on the S550. S750 is the all new platform (possibly entirely electric focused).
SN95/S197/S550/S650 aren't a modified anything. They are program #'s, not platforms.
I believe the only reason people refer to S550 as the platform was because, until recently, the actual platform it was riding on was never really referenced.

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SN95/S197/S550/S650 aren't a modified anything. They are program #'s, not platforms.
I believe the only reason people refer to S550 as the platform was because, until recently, the actual platform it was riding on was never really referenced.
Then why does every source I've seen reference D2C as ending in 2014 to be succeeded by the s550?

TheGame1190

06 Time Person ofthe Year
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GTPP Premium, 2015 GT Premium, 1999 Expedition EB
Then why does every source I've seen reference D2C as ending in 2014 to be succeeded by the s550?
I would guess the platform may be unnamed, or also uses s550, because its the only vehicle to use it.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Yes, they do confuse them. However, Ford very slyly tried to describe this as an all-new, ground up new Mustang for the 50th anniversary. It wasn't and from the moment we heard about consumer clinic stuff from September 2012, we knew from description of the center tunnel being the same shape and hard plastic, it was all too familiar to be 100% from scratch.

It was only when mention of S650 came up a few years later under Fields, some media reports even reconfirmed the D2C connection. This S650 is pretty much going to be the same thing as the S550 was to S197, save for IRS no longer being new. If there is an S750, it either isn't the correct model code or something like that, plus barely getting off ground next year at earliest.

I can't see them developing an S650 and "S750" at the same time, but only minor overlap (as work on new S650 gets closer to completion, CD6 Stang gets started for 2027)
Back when the Big 3 almost went under, Ford cancelled the GRWD (Global Rear Wheel Drive) platform that was either under development, or about to be. Whilst I can understand why they made this call at the time, I always felt that if they'd pushed ahead with that, they would have had some superb RWD cars that would have put them ahead of the market.

Here we are a decade later and investment has been made in a new rear wheel drive architecture.......and Ford decide they're not building sedans any more :headbang:

I do wonder how much S550 there is under CD6. Is CD6 really all new? I recall it being stated that the rear suspension of the Aviator concept was almost identical to S550.

Still, even if S650 is a heavily reworked S550, I'm just glad we're getting a new Mustang. Camaro fans aren't so lucky, and even Dodge seems unsure as to what's next for the Challenger/Charger twins.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 Stingray

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang 429, Tesla Model 3
Whatever the platform is called..... It doesn't matter. My point stands. S650 is on the same but heavily modified platform as s550.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Talked to some colleagues working on the non-GT fuel system. Learned some interesting stuff. Sadly, no info on the body.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I would guess the platform may be unnamed, or also uses s550, because its the only vehicle to use it.
Whatever the platform is called..... It doesn't matter. My point stands. S650 is on the same but heavily modified platform as s550.
I don't usually do this, but here's a snapshot from our forecasting system. Highlights are my doing, of course.

S650 Mustang S650 Mustang launches in 2022 as 2023MY reveals Ford Linkedin post Mustang Platform Codes.JPG
Sponsored