• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Honestly, something about the S197 sized or just a hair smaller would be perfect for the Mustang... target weight of a GT should be about 3300lbs or less. Use aluminum, give us a superior front suspension design (and make it talk to the rear suspension.... looking at you 6th gen's still running stock shocks and sways.......), keep the weight low, keep the nice brakes and it'll be a killer car... Ford is FINALLY understanding what the pony car market wants out of the modern pony cars (neglecting the Mach E mess up), good handling and a usable car.
I think Ford has gotten it more or less for the past 55 years. Especially since the S550. Everyone wants less weight for whatever their reason but it comes at a cost? How much more are Mustang owners going to spend for less weight? And a superior front suspension and shocks and sways?

I understand that this is just everyones pie in the sky wish list but realistically I'm just happy we are going to get a S650.
Sponsored

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
Somebody will be in trouble for this linkedin entry :crackup:

Especially with the 2nd refresh for MY2021 buyers shoulld really be aware that they could get a whole new Mustang generation two years later
... not the first time

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is my driving position. No one is sitting behind me unless they are sideways. I don't care if you are 5'10" or 3'10".
S650 Mustang S650 Mustang launches in 2022 as 2023MY reveals Ford Linkedin post 20190420_172235

Whiskey11

Kill ALL the Cones!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Base GT/PP
I think Ford has gotten it more or less for the past 55 years. Especially since the S550. Everyone wants less weight for whatever their reason but it comes at a cost? How much more are Mustang owners going to spend for less weight? And a superior front suspension and shocks and sways?

I understand that this is just everyones pie in the sky wish list but realistically I'm just happy we are going to get a S650.
Less weight has a myriad of benefits from improved performance to improved fuel economy. The Japanese have figured out how to keep the Miata at around 2300lbs in the modern era without significantly raising the price of the car. It also conveniently has a great front and rear suspension layout... but it is also focus built for track performance. Chevy was able to drop weight in the Camaro... and not just a little amount either. Reducing the overall footprint of the Mustang to that of the S197 or just smaller will involve less material usage, a safer car with less weight and better performance (both fuel economy and outright performance). I doubt it'd be as expensive as you make it out to be.

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Less weight has a myriad of benefits from improved performance to improved fuel economy. The Japanese have figured out how to keep the Miata at around 2300lbs in the modern era without significantly raising the price of the car. It also conveniently has a great front and rear suspension layout... but it is also focus built for track performance. Chevy was able to drop weight in the Camaro... and not just a little amount either. Reducing the overall footprint of the Mustang to that of the S197 or just smaller will involve less material usage, a safer car with less weight and better performance (both fuel economy and outright performance). I doubt it'd be as expensive as you make it out to be.
Yes, the Miata...because making half a car light is an epic feat of modern engineering.

OP
OP
amk91

amk91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTP PP and 2014 SVT Raptor SE
The goal was to get this out there, but I am finding a number of them (aside from the above) fail to give proper credit. They should've been the ones on top of this in first place, plus many other upcoming Ford models I have yet to mention here. Journalism and investigative reporting is supposed to be their job, but many of these news sites coast off of regurgitated content and opinion pieces.

A major reason I didn't want to highlight the Linkedin connection, is this will spook the source to review all program codes & info and scrub away their existence from any publicity. There is a treasure trove of information often missed by these big news sites, which now might disappear (similar to dealer meeting leaks of threatening no more product showings.)

Whiskey11

Kill ALL the Cones!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Base GT/PP
Yes, the Miata...because making half a car light is an epic feat of modern engineering.
Considering the previous generation Miata weighed 200lbs more to comply with modern safety standards... I'd say that's a pretty big feat of engineering... they didn't even do it with anything radical like changing the body to aluminum....

OP
OP
amk91

amk91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTP PP and 2014 SVT Raptor SE
People seem to confuse program code and platform all the time.
SN95, S197, S550, S650 are programs.
FOX, D2C were the platforms, which have gone through changes over the years to update them.
Yes, they do confuse them. However, Ford very slyly tried to describe this as an all-new, ground up new Mustang for the 50th anniversary. It wasn't and from the moment we heard about consumer clinic stuff from September 2012, we knew from description of the center tunnel being the same shape and hard plastic, it was all too familiar to be 100% from scratch.

It was only when mention of S650 came up a few years later under Fields, some media reports even reconfirmed the D2C connection. This S650 is pretty much going to be the same thing as the S550 was to S197, save for IRS no longer being new. If there is an S750, it either isn't the correct model code or something like that, plus barely getting off ground next year at earliest.

I can't see them developing an S650 and "S750" at the same time, but only minor overlap (as work on new S650 gets closer to completion, CD6 Stang gets started for 2027)

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Same argument as the Mach-E. It would not be a Mustang. 55 year heritage down the drain. Now if you really want a 2 seater I'm fine with that. We can call it a Pinto GT.
I don't think they can ever revive that nameplate...

Why not?

They’re gonna call the Baby Bronco the “Maverick” and the name has been filed... no BSing either...

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Considering the previous generation Miata weighed 200lbs more to comply with modern safety standards... I'd say that's a pretty big feat of engineering... they didn't even do it with anything radical like changing the body to aluminum....
It's an astounding 30 inches shorter and 8 inches narrower than the Mustang. It's also a rag top in the lightest configuration. No back seat, no usable trunk, not enough cabin space for a driver of my height. You can't bring up the Miata in a conversation about reducing the weight on the Mustang. Also, a Flying Miata gains 380 pounds over stock.
Why not?

They’re gonna call the Baby Bronco the “Maverick” and the name has been filed... no BSing either...
Other than a high profile highway pursuit, which probably helped sales, the Bronco doesn't have a bad reputation. The Pinto is synonymous with the phrases "spontaneous combustion" and "bursts into flames".

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Other than a high profile highway pursuit, which probably helped sales, the Bronco doesn't have a bad reputation. The Pinto is synonymous with the phrases "spontaneous combustion" and "bursts into flames".
OK, how about this badass name from the past.
S650 Mustang S650 Mustang launches in 2022 as 2023MY reveals Ford Linkedin post 9DC96EA5-722B-48AE-911C-CCE77FB1F9A9

Whiskey11

Kill ALL the Cones!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Base GT/PP
It's an astounding 30 inches shorter and 8 inches narrower than the Mustang. It's also a rag top in the lightest configuration. No back seat, no usable trunk, not enough cabin space for a driver of my height. You can't bring up the Miata in a conversation about reducing the weight on the Mustang. Also, a Flying Miata gains 380 pounds over stock.
You missed my point entirely... my point was that Mazda dropped 200 pounds from the NC Miata to the ND Miata... not that the Miata is lighter than the Mustang... I would have thought that point was made obvious by referencing the NC Miatas... and then the 5th to 6th Gen Camaro... but apparently not. The NC Miata is not significantly larger than the ND Miata and yet they still were able to drop 200 pounds of weight while adhering to more strict safety standards, without significantly increasing the price or compromising features. The Camaro is a little different, going from the Zeta to Alpha platform wasn't a huge change in wheelbase and width either. Only 2" of wheel base and 1" of width but it came with a 300 pound reduction in weight.

I'm not sure why you don't fit in a Miata... I'm 6'5" and a athletic 280lbs, I was able to get in and drive an NA Miata quite easily... the ND is easier for me to get into and out of. I can't drive with the roof up though...

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Every time in the initial post I saw the term air leakage my mind immediately went to anal leakage, do I have a serious problem? :cwl:

TC
Sponsored