• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang BULLITT
He also says it has forged pistons, and Ford doesn't mention that anywhere. Doesn't sound like he is correct.

If you go by Ed Krenz's quote, the only changes are the forged rods. Which is why I am hoping for a higher redline.
To be fair no one knew the performance package on the Taurus SHO had upgraded internals that the police interceptor got until people started to tear the engines down and were like "wait why are these two motors different?"
Sponsored

OP
OP
Dub347sbf

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Dark Horse
To be fair no one knew the performance package on the Taurus SHO had upgraded internals that the police interceptor got until people started to tear the engines down and were like "wait why are these two motors different?"
ā€œOn this program, the engines are far more common between the GT and the Dark Horse. Literally, the only difference at the end of the day is we ported over the forged connecting rods from the Predator engine.ā€
That is a quote from Ed Krenz, chief nameplate engineer for the Mustang. Now, they may be hiding something, sure. I really started the thread to see if I missed an article about there being more differences. I suppose we will have to wait and find out.

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE

I don't think the Taurus, especially the SHO, got a fair shake. I'd love a modern SHO.

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
That is a quote from Ed Krenz, chief nameplate engineer for the Mustang. Now, they may be hiding something, sure. I really started the thread to see if I missed an article about there being more differences. I suppose we will have to wait and find out.
theyā€™re definitely hiding something we donā€™t even have a pic under the hood of a dark horse

what i find odd is if itā€™s just better cams, why not do more, larger throttle bodies, different intake. We are definitely missing something

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang BULLITT
I don't think the Taurus, especially the SHO, got a fair shake. I'd love a modern SHO.
I still believe the Fusion Sport should have been called Fusion SHO and that an updated Taurus SHO should have gotten a tuned version of the 400HP/400TQ 3.0T with closer to 450hp. Using the 3.0T in ONLY the MKZ made it a total sleeper NO ONE expects and super few knew about. Its not even got any real logo to notice that stands out from the 2.0T, just a 2 replaced with a 3 on the trunk. Heck that engine is STILL the basis for the Raptors today.

Look around. AWD 350-400HP is STILL the standard for luxury sedans. And the SHO was what? 12yrs ago?

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Donā€™t kid yourself upgraded cams could give the dark house a solid 20-30hp alone especially if they focus on valve timing to a key. Point being i wouldnā€™t be surprised if the dark horse hits 525hp
mid it has different cams, thatā€™s massive. Not going to swap upgraded cams if it isnā€™t for a major boost.

if true, the Dark Horse will be an NA beast.
Add the better suspension and it may be a new favorite.

perhaps even worthy of the Boss name.

but I suspect the Boss is still a thing for the s650 generation, but it may have a larger engine. We already had the Boss 302 remixā€¦

the Dark Horse seems more like a Mach 1 with a power and handling package.

noce to have right out of the gate to launch a new generation, but still think it should have been the NEW GT.

The cams really have me thinking. This thing can be at 525-530 hp or more with torque to go with it - the one thing the GT350 lacked.

Iā€™d prefer a heritage nameplate, but if this is what it takes to get Ford engineers and designers to embrace serious modern sports car performance, Iā€™m all for it.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
I thought I saw a photo showing 7500 rpm redline in one, however, I do not recall where I saw the photo or if it was from a video. Will report back if I happen upon it again with a link.
I saw it too. It was a rendering of the dark horse interior, not a real photo. The redline is way off.

S650 Mustang S650 Coyote V8: Differences in GT vs Dark Horse DARK-HORSE-AUTO-2

https://ibb.co/HgVGtgt

S650 Mustang S650 Coyote V8: Differences in GT vs Dark Horse DARK-HORSE-AUTO-2

https://ibb.co/p4DdBGM

Btw these photos, especially the second, are massive. Just be aware if you right-click -> open them in a separate tab. If you blow up the second image to full res you can see that they just overlaid a generic set of images into the bezels (also why the screens look so nice and pushed to the edge of the bezels) because the image clips through the bottom right of the main screen.

Last edited:

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
I still believe the Fusion Sport should have been called Fusion SHO and that an updated Taurus SHO should have gotten a tuned version of the 400HP/400TQ 3.0T with closer to 450hp. Using the 3.0T in ONLY the MKZ made it a total sleeper NO ONE expects and super few knew about. Its not even got any real logo to notice that stands out from the 2.0T, just a 2 replaced with a 3 on the trunk. Heck that engine is STILL the basis for the Raptors today.

Look around. AWD 350-400HP is STILL the standard for luxury sedans. And the SHO was what? 12yrs ago?
don't know what you are seeing, but top end luxury performance sedans are in the upper 400s to almost 700 Yes, I know, they are much more expensive than the SHO was, but with the SHO, I would have expected upper 400s by now.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang BULLITT
don't know what you are seeing, but top end luxury performance sedans are in the upper 400s to almost 700 Yes, I know, they are much more expensive than the SHO was, but with the SHO, I would have expected upper 400s by now.
Who said top end? I said " standard for luxury sedans"
TLS type-S 350
Q50 300 and 400hp options
BMW 3/4 series 382
Genesis 300-375
MB you have to get to an upper E-Class to get over 300.

All of those are more than a SHO, but dont even have the power of a 2017 3.0T MKZ(MKz has 50tq more than the 400HP Q50).

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
Who said top end? I said " standard for luxury sedans"
TLS type-S 350
Q50 300 and 400hp options
BMW 3/4 series 382
Genesis 300-375
MB you have to get to an upper E-Class to get over 300.

All of those are more than a SHO, but dont even have the power of a 2017 3.0T MKZ(MKz has 50tq more than the 400HP Q50).
Taurus size is more to the 5 series than 3/4 size. I know, as I was cross shopping those two (plus the Lincoln). Today's m550 is 536 hp beast. Chevy SS was 415 hp..and as you said, this was years ago. Today's Charger Scat Pack is 485. So based on that, I would expect minimum 425-430 hp from a SHO today. Remember, the SHO was supposed to be a performance car. Too bad it had so much torque steer in it as that's the reason I passed on it.
Sponsored