• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
So at low RPMs they increased turbulence to increase air flow?

That’s exactly it, they increase velocity into the cylinder head. Which increases pressure which makes more tq/power. It’s not a lot but it’s helps. On the coyotes 2015 and up they have them from the factory. It’s worth a good 15-25tq under 4500 rpm. It’s worth it

With the new twin throttle body setup for the gen 4 engines. Ford has even more control and at low rpm’s, just can keep the one completely closed. The whole goal isn’t more tq, it’s about making the torque curve as flat as possible. I’m excited to see dynos and datalogs

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
You must be new around here
1) the mustang gt has had forged rods since 2015 and that remains the same with the s650 but on the dark horse they’re a better gt500 rods
Pretty new around here and to car sites in general. I made my comment based off this Link. I understand that it could be wrong because it hasn't been updated in a long time.
In any case, there is a lot of information here that isn't available on the Ford site and having first learned about cars from my father in the late 60s, I might have a few things to contribute. My dad made us kid a deal. He would give us our first care. It probably wouldn't be new but it would run. We then had to maintain it and we could either pay somebody else to do it or he would teach us how to do it ourselves. I no longer have the time to maintain it or some of the special equipment needed today but I still have a pretty good idea what the problem is when I take it to the shop.

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Never take that crap seriously the amount of times ford screwed up on documents would surprise you. I remember when the gt350 was coming out and one of the ford engineers screwed up the actual presentation, and told people there was a time limit aka over rev feature from 7500-8250, aka you could only rev to 8250 for 8 seconds at a time. Ford had this in the 13-14 gt500 because of reliability concerns over the crappy rods, from 6250-7000 rpm there is an over rev feature for 8 seconds and after a certain oil temp it’ll lock you out of it as well. Kinda of a weird thing to do but whatever, but for some reason it got mixed up with the gt350 launch. It was wild time on the forums, also the Gt350R was supposed to come with front carbon ceramic brakes, that was a typo lmfao

So ignore that crap

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Crazy the dark horse has that hp at 4,9 rpm
Thanks nice read
I just caught that as well but that’s definitely a mistake because it would fall off a cliff lol that’s 2500 more rpm to redline it’s not sustainable

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT

krisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, PP - Race Red
2024 Ford Mustang® | Packages & Accessories Features | Ford.com

So on this page it refers to the GT motor as a Ti-VCT motor and the Dark Horse as a DOHC motor...

Interesting. Where was this until now?
I’m no expert, but isn’t the Coyote both Ti-VCT and DOHC? The two are not mutually exclusive. I believe the Dark Horse engine is the same as the GT with different connecting rods and tuning (maybe a few other minor differences as well), but it is basically the same engine.

Ryunker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 convertible, 1971 Mach1
I’m no expert, but isn’t the Coyote both Ti-VCT and DOHC? The two are not mutually exclusive. I believe the Dark Horse engine is the same as the GT with different connecting rods and tuning (maybe a few other minor differences as well), but it is basically the same engine.
DOHC only the exhaust cam timing is varied, Ti-VCT both cam timing can be varied.

krisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DOHC only the exhaust cam timing is varied, Ti-VCT both cam timing can be varied.
I’ve always understood a DOHC engine to simply refer to an engine with two camshafts located inside the head, which is pretty much a common setup these days.

DOHC can have different configurations for fixed or variable valve timing.

Last edited:

krisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I went to the Mustang site and selected the comparison of the GT and Dark Horse. Both are listed as Ti-VCT. I see where they are showing the Dark Horse as DOHC in the selector tool, but that is probably just an effort to make it appear different than the GT.

S650 Mustang 4th Gen Coyote (5.0L Ti-VCT) S650 V8 Engine Technical Info / Specs IMG_3767
Sponsored