• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Q6543

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
These cars are gonna be awesomeā€¦ I hope heā€™s right about being back to speed densityā€¦ makes modding so much easier, the GT500s are now too, my fox is SD and I love it

canā€™t stand the MAF bs

Jrws1014

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost Premium Convertible
So for those of us who are engine speak stupid, what was he meaning by porting and what was that blue lockout thing he referenced?

Q6543

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
In the plastic as cast youā€™ll see fins and knit lines as well as valve gate marks from it being injection molded.

porting knocks out all the roughness and uses a grit to support enough turbulence for airspeed.

the blue lockouts are to keep the IMRC locked open
Maximum air, max flow, max velocity, max HP!

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
maybe just me, but i don't get why people go for ported intakes. if you're looking for every bit of power on a highly modified engine, then i guess it makes sense, but i honestly think that the money you could spend on a ported intake could be better used on other things that would have a bigger effect, like a tune or resonator delete or even a throttle body spacer. again, though, that might just be me.

Interstellar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
maybe just me, but i don't get why people go for ported intakes. if you're looking for every bit of power on a highly modified engine, then i guess it makes sense, but i honestly think that the money you could spend on a ported intake could be better used on other things that would have a bigger effect, like a tune or resonator delete or even a throttle body spacer. again, though, that might just be me.

I would say generally speaking that a ported manifold typically comes after the things you just listed. Itā€™s not generally where you start when modding although some people do swear by it šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø

Q6543

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
He was thinking 15rwhp or moreā€¦ thatā€™s a noticeable gain esp. on low powered cars.

a full long tube and exhaust setup may only end up netting you 15-20rwhp and cost triple or quadruple.
I'm very excited to see testing and results

marcekb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium, 2024 GT Premium ordered
I would say generally speaking that a ported manifold typically comes after the things you just listed. Itā€™s not generally where you start when modding although some people do swear by it šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø
Hard to believe Ford wouldn't do this to claim the extra HP now, if it were worth it, say for example before providing dual intake for a similar gain. It's cheaper to port when they're manufacturing it. Anyone know why they'd leave it rough-ish?

Q6543

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
Thatā€™s the difference between mass production.. they have less than 60 seconds to make the manifoldā€¦ what gets ported is part of the injection process

porting just 1 manifold could take a few hours.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It's nice to get to see an S650 intake. Pretty bad fail in the video not having any of the existing manifolds available to compare it to. Even just presenting some measurements for comparison of the runner sizes would have been nice.

Here's a link to describe what the IMRC valves do. Basically, at really high RPM you want a short runner length for max power. At low RPM you want longer runners to give more power at low RPM. So, the IMRC is like running two different intakes, one that improves engine low end power and a separate intake that improves top end power.

It gets a little complicated explaining why. It has to do with momentum and how the columns of air within the intake move at different RPM. At high RPM, the intake valves are opening and closing very quickly, so a longer column of air will not push its way down into the cylinder as easily because it doesn't start and stop moving quickly enough. At lower RPM, the longer runners actually end up pushing extra air into the cylinder due to the momentum of that longer air column.

https://www.carparts.com/blog/intake-manifold-runner-valves-what-you-need-to-know/

Most people shouldn't use those lockouts. My assumption is the lockouts might make sense with a blower or turbo, but I'm not sure. Definitely the car will be slower if your only mod is installing lock outs.

Last edited:

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
For Ford you have to go back to the 289 engine. Very reliable and common but it had breathing problems. The introduction of the 302 started the race for larger factory passages. Even the 302 wasn't perfect and there were after market intake manifolds with more carburetors and more open passages. I am sure Ford made some tradeoffs and one may be structural strength but if you can get 500 horsepower, the gains may be small without a turbo or blower.
Computers not only have contributed to engine control but modeling at the design stage has made major improvements to things as simple as air flow.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
like a tune or resonator delete or even a throttle body spacer. again, though, that might just be me.
A tune will definitely bring in more power, but alot of people don't want to mess with warranty issues that brings. As far as the other 2, those don't provide anymore power so they are no they are even more pointless to do.
Sponsored