• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I am excited about the Dark Horse Mustang because the Ford engineers accepted the challenge of improving the 5.0 engine and suspension. Every new Mustang I have purchased has been greatly improved over the previous ones. I am expecting great things from the 2024 Mustang.
Sponsored

Tursey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 525
Do you think European Mustangs are gonna have the same amount of HP? Since the MY2022 has the same 450hp as we have here with Particulate Filter, is 486hp possible here in Europe as well?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
My point is that there's a disproportionately loud fuss over what's essentially about 20hp off of what people are finding "acceptable," when we have no idea how the car will perform and whether or not that power feels satisfactory to begin with. On paper, it's an improvement over the Mach 1 and a regression behind the GT350, but we're still getting a 500hp V8 and a manual with all of the political restrictions OEMs are stuck with. Thank god they didn't reduce engine size and go turbocharged, or jack the weight up and hybridize the thing with what's still early battery technology. Nobody here can convince me that they know the logistics behind what it takes to roll out a mass-produced lineup of V8s with the intention to sell on a global level in today's climate while ensuring said product will be viable from a business perspective.
I think 526 HP was great in a weight-reduced Mustang launched 7 years ago. I think even 400 HP would be terrific if the Mustang weighed 3,000 lbs.

Believe me, I'm not stuck on a HP number. If the DH weighs hundreds of pounds less than the S550 Mustangs and it makes 500 HP, I might end up buying one even though I have serious reservations based on some of the information that has been released.

Coming back to the EV subject, most often these horsepower discussions become piss fests about what's faster or what has more. Is this a concern about track times? Drag times? Being faster than Joe Broski in his Cramro at a stoplight? There are so many faster straight-line cars for what will likely be equivalent money. You could go and buy a Kia nowadays that hits 60 in just over 3s all the way up to 160mph. So if it's the former, and people here are hard asses about track times, maybe be concerned about driving skill and tires. If it's drag times, why even look at a V8 and manual. Go for a GT and 10 speed. If it's to be faster than Joe Broski, watch out for Stacy Onlyfans in her Kia who's about to leave you both in the dust.

Or cry about the 20hp that would change everything, supposedly.
Power to weight ratio is what I feel in the seat of my pants. Like I said, it's not about racing. I do prefer by far a car that handles well, which is less about HP and more about weight and CoG. If the car gets a lot lighter I think that would be way better than just having a high HP number. That's why I continue to say I'm reserving judgement and trying to keep an open mind.

Even just better gearing in the manual transmission giving the engine more leverage over the rear tires might make the difference between a MEH and a car that I would get in line for early. Believe me, there are quite a few ways the DH can end up being more fun than what I have. I'm really hoping Ford will try to make the DH significantly better than my old GT.

And I'm glad that we're getting ICE NA V8s and manuals in today's climate. Improved ones, at that. Just apparently not to the level of a lot of others' expectations.
If you think a 4% improvement (20/480) in power is a huge deal, that's fine. I believe it's reasonable to say that 4% is small and I don't expect to notice a difference unless other, more significant changes are made.

It doesn't make any sense to compare an oversquare 2.4L I4 with a bore and stroke of 94 x 86 to a 5.0L V8 with a bore and stroke dimension of 93 x 92.7 when we're talking hp/l. For starters, each cylinder is smaller in volume and size and the stroke is significantly shorter. There are tons of small engines making high hp/l with similar attributes because that lends to better high RPM operation which ultimately contributes to better peak hp/l figures.
I'm definitely not saying Ford has to stick with the V8 and the current layout. I would love, love love a smaller V8 inside a much smaller and lighter car that gets way better fuel economy and fits into the green agenda in that way. But it's too late to see that happen. I would also love even more if Ford put a reasonably sized V12 in the Mustang and made 800 HP or something like the 6.5L engine in the Superfast does. Ford could reduce the size of the engine to make a 4.9 liter V12 engine with about 600 HP. I would be happy with that as long as the car didn't get heavier (and hopefully got lighter).

Instead, how many larger displacement N/A V8s can you recall that make more than 100hp/l? The GT350 made just a hair over 101hp/l, a 4.0L S65 V8 in the E9X M3 makes 104hp/l. There are very few out there; you'll find plenty of smaller engines or engines with many more cylinders, like V10s and V12s, but hardly any V8s, let alone for reasonable money. Or hell, we can go to liter bikes, with little 4-pots routinely making 200hp/l look like another walk in the park.

So with that said, I'll stand by saying that 100hp/L in a 5L V8 is pretty dang good.
Yes, it is fine. I agree with what you are saying that most engines that make a higher specific output - such as the Ferrari 458 4.5 liter engine that makes 600 HP - most are at least slightly smaller than the Coyote.

Why would I want the last NA V8 Ford Mustang to have an average/decent engine? I want it to have a great engine. I want people to talk about it as being one of the best. But even if it doesn't have the best engine, hopefully Ford will make some adjustments so that the car is a noticeable improvement over their current offerings.

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mazda MX5 ND2 30th anniversary
Do you think European Mustangs are gonna have the same amount of HP? Since the MY2022 has the same 450hp as we have here with Particulate Filter, is 486hp possible here in Europe as well?
No would not think we will get the same numbers here unfortunately. Maybe 480 ish in DH here.

What is most disappointing is that the GPFs muffles the sound considerably

The only reason 99% want more power is the talk. The rest races their cars in one form or other. On the street a random grandma in a long range model 3 will leave you in the dust on 0-80 sprint, above is a different story but again 99 aren't driving as some of us here do.

Hell I cannot even beat a 2.0 diesel Audi in my MX5 in a straight line :D. The point in having 480 or 500hp is for most 100% overkill with the way the cars driven but it is a nice feeling knowing you have X amount of HP

Last edited:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Maybe but we will need to wait until you get an official announcement. Anything else said now is worthless speculation.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1
There will be an aftermarket for this car. Ford Performance will have a Power Kit along with other Ford Partners. The issue is if the DH gets some love. Tuning isn't going to be just unlocking the ECU. These numbers aren't really much more than a mildly tuned S550 car.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang BULLITT
Yeah, that was you! :giggle: :like:
Wasn't actually. I'm well aware of the movie since decaes before I got the car.

To me it's like someone today boasting about buying a Transformers Camaro, or a "Fast & Furious" edition Supra.

Evo1986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT - 55 years edition Kona Blue AT
WASN'T ONLINE FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS AND THE THREAD DIDN'T DISAPPOINT ME AT ALL!!!

So first and foremost we can all be grateful to still be having a natural aspirated V8. With all the fuss in this thread we forget about the basics and take everything for granted.

Secondly. Yes, maybe the DH could have had 10 or 20BHP more, but tbh those little numbers won't make the difference. I am happy with the GT which would be my option anway when buying the S650.

If we want to talk about performance, Ford SHOULD HAVE optionally offered AWD or LESS WEIGHT. People tend to forget that weight plays a huge role. Put 100 pounds away and see the magic happens.

500BHP = 507 PS in Europe
418 ft.lb = 567 Newton Meter in Europe

Since regulations will come in place, I am expecting 20PS less for Europe on both models.

BUT TO BE HONEST: Who gives a crap about 0-60? You cannot do that on streets nowadays anyway unless you want to look like a total bellend at the traffic light.

More interesting will be

- 100-200km/h (trust me the S550/S650 unfolds its true power at higher reves and I beat many on the German Autobahn on higher speed)

- drivability
- agility
- responsivness
-comfort
-stiffness

etc. etc.

All we do is talking about stupid BHP, but the overall performance, the technical details such as an updated MagneRide suspension and how the car FEELS when driving it is also which leads to superior craftmanship and overall better experience.

So let us wait and see the first detailed reviews and then we still can discuss....

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Butthurt? Over what exactly? Your unrealistic expectations? Your right Ford could tune the 5.0 to produce more horsepower in both the GT and DH, but at what cost? You have to think of the average driver that is going to buy one of these vehicles and beat the hell out of it. So Ford tunes the engine to a realistic level in which they know Billy Burnout can beat the hell out of it and it will withstand the punishment over the life of the standard warranty. Damn, there I go, drinking the kook-aid again.
overseneitive reactions deserve the adjective. Never saw someone get so hurt and defensive over someone elseā€™s disappointment with a car.

-2 and +6 isnā€™t an upgrade.

and we arenā€™t talking tuning to the ragged edge here. Weā€™re talking engine development. Besides if the dark horse is good and realistic enough for the average consumer as well as Billy bummer or whatever, the. Itā€™s good enough for the GT, which is what it should have been.

Disappointing numbers. Will see where they land in 2 more years.

Murfstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Explorer ST, 2021 VW GTI
overseneitive reactions deserve the adjective. Never saw someone get so hurt and defensive over someone elseā€™s disappointment with a car.

-2 and +6 isnā€™t an upgrade.

and we arenā€™t talking tuning to the ragged edge here. Weā€™re talking engine development. Besides if the dark horse is good and realistic enough for the average consumer as well as Billy bummer or whatever, the. Itā€™s good enough for the GT, which is what it should have been.

Disappointing numbers. Will see where they land in 2 more years.
not hurt, just confused as to why someone would spend so much time on a forum dedicated to car they donā€™t like. Also not sure how youā€™re able to get this far in life without the ability to do simple addition and subtraction.

93-Oct Mayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
not hurt, just confused as to why someone would spend so much time on a forum dedicated to car they donā€™t like. Also not sure how youā€™re able to get this far in life without the ability to do simple addition and subtraction.
That's what I'm saying. He spends more time on here than I do and I'm buying the car. 2.2k messages and only 200 reactions to his name. Popular guy

Aside from the new GT being a beast, Ford did us a solid by releasing the DH at the same time to give us the choice, rather than wait another 6-7 months like they did with the GT350.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
That's what I'm saying. He spends more time on here than I do and I'm buying the car. 2.2k messages and only 200 reactions to his name. Popular guy

Aside from the new GT being a beast, Ford did us a solid by releasing the DH at the same time to give us the choice, rather than wait another 6-7 months like they did with the GT350.
tbf I think reaction scores are easy to jack up if you just comment agreeable opinions and post media, and all legacy m6g accounts roll total posts in (like we both have dummy total post counts from 2014). the whole reaction score wasnā€™t really a thing in early m6g

but still, you know what youā€™re doing 9, lighten up šŸ˜‚

DarthMalice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1; AT; M0960
Makes my decision to keep my Mach 1 all the easier. The GT barely edges out my 2021 on HP and my torque is higher by practically the same margin. And I don't have the ridiculous IPADs. Power is kind of a let down on this. I still hope to see that handling and steering have actually been improved.
Sponsored