• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Misleading HP

REV745DH24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse
I have learned horsepower is by the flywheel or you could say crank long time ago so when they say Dark Horse is 500 hp, I would round that off between 60-80 hp less so meaning DH would be 440 to 420 real horsepower! And true if you lessen the weight of the car can help increase the horsepower ratings! Thatā€™s it! Learned all that at the Thompson Drag Raceway in Ohio when I was a teenager! Thatā€™s 50 years ago!
Sponsored

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Originally i was going to post a very nice and detailed response till i read the OPs entire post. Buddy youā€™re either very young or donā€™t know anything about cars. Nobody and i mean not one oem uses a wheel or hub dyno for engine verification. There is way way way too many variables that go down the drivetrain for it to be accurate. NeverMind the fact most OEMs donā€™t give a crap what it makes at the wheel if it makes 500hp on 93 SAE certified on an engine dyno after durability testing and they can make a million of them without much margin of error they donā€™t care. The issue with doing some form of wheel dyno for verification is that you have way too many variables from the diff gearing to the transmission production variances. Basically at the wheels one car can make 400whp and another make 392whp on the same dyno same day. Simply put itā€™s a moot point and you should probably read a book

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
šŸ˜³

What rock have you been living under?
lol šŸ˜‚ as someone whose involved with motorcycles and other off the wall stuff. Some brands definitely do play games when it some to Hp certifications or they intentionally make a very conservative tune setup for warranty or emissions reasons. While the Germans and McLaren donā€™t give a crap they want it to make 750hp in the 125 degree heat on crappy gas lol thus making the engines underrated

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
lol šŸ˜‚ as someone whose involved with motorcycles and other off the wall stuff. Some brands definitely do play games when it some to Hp certifications or they intentionally make a very conservative tune setup for warranty or emissions reasons. While the Germans and McLaren donā€™t give a crap they want it to make 750hp in the 125 degree heat on crappy gas lol thus making the engines underrated
All of that is completely irrelevant to the statement I quoted and responded to, so I have no idea what you find humorous.

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
im shocked just how many people are falling for this bait

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150

RaceRedder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse HP
I understand OP.

It is misleading and the claimed HP by manufacturers are totally different.

Americans like huge numbers and they do everything to claim that.

European car makers underestimate their crank HP so the advertised crank HP is very close to the the wheel HP. When putting the car on the dyno, there is no difference in the advertised hp.

BMW is the king in advertising low crank HP and they almost always have more WHP than the advertised HP. This makes you very happy when putting the car on the dyno.

Americans.. yep.. they claim BIG numbers because it's a cultural thing, they do that with anything and everything.. "big, bigger, biggest", but when you put them to the test on the dyno, they make you cry.

That's why many European "low" hp vehicles are faster than the American "high" hp vehicles.

Americans should stop over exaggerating things.

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse

Karguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger 6.4 Widebody 6 speed
The difference between advertised crankshaft and real hp a car puts to the ground is usually 15%...Also most dynos lie in order to advertise huge gains...Best is to dyno a car before and after the mod on the same dyno on the same day ! A DH should make around 425 rwhp adverised 500 at the crank.But more important is Torque because this is the pull you feel on the street especially with lower/higher numeric numbers gearing ! Here the Coyote comes up short...

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
lol I got way more torque in first gear than any of them advertise.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
The difference between advertised crankshaft and real hp a car puts to the ground is usually 15%...Also most dynos lie in order to advertise huge gains...Best is to dyno a car before and after the mod on the same dyno on the same day ! A DH should make around 425 rwhp adverised 500 at the crank.But more important is Torque because this is the pull you feel on the street especially with lower/higher numeric numbers gearing ! Here the Coyote comes up short...
Troll attracts troll :giggle:

Baldilocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium California Special
Pretty sure BMW is the only manufacturer that gives us RWHP figures instead of crank figures.