• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
99% of posters couldn't drive a Civic to it's full capability. Self included.
I'd like to say that i'm in the 1 percentile then..
120-130 every time I get on the highway, tires always squealing sideways or straight.
Why else would I own it!
LOL
Sponsored

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 GT vert A10 / ā€˜23 Mach 1 A10 / ā€˜23 Mach 1 6MT
99% of posters couldn't drive a Civic to it's full capability. Self included.
Exactly.

But that doesnā€™t stop them from putting a premium on stuff they canā€™t use. I was gonna say itā€™s the American way but Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s worldwide.

Come to think of I shouldnā€™t use the word ā€œtheyā€. Iā€™m guilty too. Not so much on the PPs and HPs but Iā€™d go out of my way to get a few extra ponies that I have no roadway nor ability to put to good use.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
rather have a Mach1 or GT350 than a Dark Horse. I see 0 reason to see it as BETTER and I flat out think anyone looking to trading a GT350 or Mach1 for a DH is well... a moron. I see the GT350/M1 used prices being bolstered a bit due to this thing.
The way I see it, it's a trade off. The gt350 and 350r were amazing drivers cars. But from what I've read, the voodoo isn't exactly the poster child for reliability. Even stock, they were popping off left and right.

One of the worst things a drivers car can be is unreliable. Makes it hard to enjoy the experience if you're constantly worried about your engine grinding itself into the ground.

The dark horse is a less... spectacular car for sure. It doesn't have the drama that the gt350 does. But the familiarity of the rock solid 5.0 would have its own sort of appeal I'd imagine. You would never be worried about how the engine handled abuse. So you could enjoy doing things like track days more.

Not to mention with some stronger components from the gt500, I could imagine the dark horse being a tuners paradise. The ones that can crack the ECU at least. Wouldn't be surprised if we saw DH's throwing down 800, 900, 1,000+ hp with forced induction and a few other mods.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
I will say this, I'm quite surprised that the DH is "only" making 500 hp with all the additional upgrades. With them switching to some gt500 components, I was expecting 530-550.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
Ford used the same tech in the gt350, which was more or less in the dark horse category. Not swinging hard means using the GT engine with maybe a tune - and then locking the ECU to fake exclusivity so GT owners canā€™t easily surpass that number.

regardless of price point, ford simply didnā€™t go for it. They gave something that barely passes for an upgrade and saved overhead for later rather than work at it.

the ā€œ110kā€ price point talk is disengenuous. Itā€™s not about that. And the DH doesnā€™t need 670 hp nor an FPC. We all know what Ford can do with its own parts on the coyote and itā€™s astonishing. Instead, they just leave it significantly under the same categories car from almost a decade ago. That sucks. Itā€™s not ā€œoh, you donā€™t understand this or that.ā€ Itā€™s the same company that gave us a mass market Cobra with novel supercharging and IRS and GT350 and reasonable price points. The same company that went from 300 horsepower to 415 and all new motor in the GT. Itā€™s not that hard from ford. It was a choice from the board. We all knew that the s650 was just a warmed over s550, but we didnā€™t think the power figures would be less (oh sorry - forgot to include the GT has so much more horsepowerā€¦ 6 more horsepowerā€¦ 6.)

the car will be worth another look in two years when they uncork the engines a bit.
I guess we could shorten this conversation since our points are going over each otherā€™s heads

What would have been satisfactory in your eyes?

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
Shh. Some people don't like to hear this.

I wonder if this forum has Ford employees as members. šŸ¤” I'm sure, but it's fun to wonder.
ā€œSome people donā€™t like to hear thisā€

No, itā€™s just eye roll inducing lol. Like when someone brings up a used car in a conversation about new cars for X dollars

Anyone here that can afford DH prices will no doubt be able to buy a Mach 1

But guess what, not everyone wants a Mach 1

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
the ā€œ110kā€ price point talk is disengenuous. Itā€™s not about that. And the DH doesnā€™t need 670 hp nor an FPC. We all know what Ford can do with its own parts on the coyote and itā€™s astonishing. Instead, they just leave it significantly under the same categories car from almost a decade ago. That sucks. Itā€™s not ā€œoh, you donā€™t understand this or that.ā€ Itā€™s the same company that gave us a mass market Cobra with novel supercharging and IRS and GT350 and reasonable price points. The same company that went from 300 horsepower to 415 and all new motor in the GT. Itā€™s not that hard from ford. It was a choice from the board. We all knew that the s650 was just a warmed over s550, but we didnā€™t think the power figures would be less (oh sorry - forgot to include the GT has so much more horsepowerā€¦ 6 more horsepowerā€¦ 6.)
I get what you're saying in that the change from S550 to S650 aren't really enough to qualify as "all-new," nor is there anything that will absolutely blow anyone away in the sense of the C8 Z06, but we have to have some context here. While the S550 was all-new, the hp gain was marginal at best, and this can be applied to many generation changes with the Mustang. The New Edge cars weren't all-new either, and it took 4 model years until we got that 03 Cobra. And this isn't just a Ford thing--it happens with nearly every manufacturer. As others have said, to a certain extent we need to be thankful that the Mustang still exists as an ICE RWD car with an optional V8 and manual transmission. I know that isn't what you want to hear, but it's the unfortunate truth in 2022/2023. Do I wish Ford would go all out with a future trim level? Absolutely--and they very well might! But we still got V8 trims with power increases in the meantime.

And please, can we set the record straight on this: the GT did not get "6 more horsepower" as you state. The 2023 GT has 450 hp, and the 2024 car has 480-486. Period. If you want to make the comparison to the 2021 car, fine--the new GT still has 20-26 more hp (and that comparison is asinine because you haven't been able to buy a new GT with 460 hp in 2 model years).

Last edited:

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
As a Mach/S550 owner, the thing Iā€™m more interested in now is the steering feel, and if it really will feel different.

The DH v the Mach argument is kinda pointless. Yes Id rather have the DH over the Mach in my garage, but then again, Iā€™ll have owned the Mach for two years by the time the DH comes out. Im sure the DH will have enough of a price increase that I wonā€™t be tempted to upgrade. To me, the more interesting question is what comes after the DH? Will there be a 350/Boss of this generation? Because thatā€™s the car I want to get.

Murfstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Explorer ST, 2021 VW GTI
Already stated a long time ago.
20 hp bump. No torque decrease.
So Ford went 6hp above the increase you would like and dropped 2lbft of torque (in the GT), and it's a complete no go for you?

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I get what you're saying in that the change from S550 to S650 aren't really enough to qualify as "all-new," nor is there anything that will absolutely blow anyone away in the sense of the C8 Z06, but we have to have some context here. While the S550 was all-new, the hp gain was marginal at best, and this can be applied to many generation changes with the Mustang. The New Edge cars weren't all-new either, and it took 4 model years until we got that 03 Cobra. And this isn't just a Ford thing--it happens with nearly every manufacturer. As others have said, to a certain extent we need to be thankful that the Mustang still exists as an ICE RWD car with an optional V8 and manual transmission. I know that isn't what you want to hear, but it's the unfortunate truth in 2022/2023. Do I wish Ford would go all out with a future trim level? Absolutely--and they very well might! But we still got V8 trims with power increases in the meantime.

And please, can we set the record straight on this: the GT did not get "6 more horsepower" as you state. The 2023 GT has 450 hp, and the 2024 car has 480-486. Period. If you want to make the comparison to the 2021 car, fine--the new GT still has 20-26 more hp (and that comparison is asinine because you haven't been able to buy a new GT with 460 hp in 2 model years).
yeahā€¦ you missed quite a bit in the process. But thatā€™s ok. Carry on.
Also we arenā€™t discussing the detuned 2022 power figures. Thatā€™s an artificial increase.

Q6543

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
I don't buy the "un tuneable" argument at all.

The gen 4 computer for the F150 is already cracked.
Will we see 7 second S650s?? Not right away.
But tuning is not gonna be a problem.

Mustang 810

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP, 2018 Stinger GT2
I think the hp increase is pretty good. I don't think it is a let down. Pretty much the same difference as buying a current GT vs Mach 1. 20 more hp. I drove a Mach 1 while car shopping. Honestly I couldn't tell the power difference over the GT. I still liked the Mach 1 styling more though. Hopefully the car market will stabilize in the next year and markups will be gone for those that don't build to order. I am not patient enough to do that. I am just glad the Mustang is still around. I have no interest in an EV vehicle at this point in time.

Last edited:

93-Oct Mayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I don't buy the "un tuneable" argument at all.

The gen 4 computer for the F150 is already cracked.
Will we see 7 second S650s?? Not right away.
But tuning is not gonna be a problem.
We already know that Whipple has a supercharger in the works and I'm positive others have been given Fords blessing. If anything there will be an exodus of unreliable tuners
Sponsored