• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Dark Horse vs Mach 1 - faster, heavier?

Mustang406

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10
What do guys think? Will the Dark Horse be significantly faster than the Mach 1? Or will it be heavier and the 20-30hp difference won't matter as much? The much larger rear brakes on the Dark Horse makes me think it will be significantly heavier.
Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang BULLITT
Weights still under 4000lbs according to Fords spec sheet. Also the DH gets a Carbon wheel option that will offset a lot of weight from other things.

20HP wasn't really be a big deal, question is what the power curve and TQ is like and if the gearing is changed. Both of those will give it a small edge on top of the better breaks. Equal drivers I expect the DH to be about even with a GT350, with a Mach1 JUST behind it. Assuming same tires/drivers.

Im more interested in how a GT performance Package matches against a base Mach1.

OP
OP
Mustang406

Mustang406

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10
Spec sheet looked identical to the S550 one. I too am curious to see what a GT PP can do.

Decible

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT PP1
Seems the GT and DH weigh as much as the current GT and Mach 1.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
What I've read thus far, performance-wise, they are effectively the same car.

Hands-on reviews would begin in the Spring?

At least in the first year or two, I consider the Mach 1 to be the better buy.

Pricing for the DH will be greater, with the possibility of an ADM. Once production settles down, and the interest softens, things might return to an experience bordering on normal. IDK. The possibility of the last, only ICE muscle car might keep things inflated.

IMO, the S550 has better quality overall, especially in '21 and '22. The S650 will have its own quirks and issues, still undiscovered; it will take a year or two of owner experiences to bring those to light.

Last edited:

DutchPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT EU
Will probably be slightly faster but seriously more expensive. We'll have to wait till they drop prices.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
The Dark Horse will run rings around a Mach 1. There will be lots of embarrassed M1 owners when the DH comes out.
Gotcha! :crackup::cwl:
No one can answer this now. Come back in 8 months when there is a production car to compare with.

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Depends if on the dragstrip or track. With Cup2s Mach 1 is not far from GT350 on the track, it's more about the driver's skills than anything. I don't think 20 hp will cause big different on the strip either, not as auto vs manual kind of difference either. We'll see. For normal road it won't matter for sure, there's plenty of power. So only bragging rights probably šŸ˜

OP
OP
Mustang406

Mustang406

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10
Depends if on the dragstrip or track. With Cup2s Mach 1 is not far from GT350 on the track, it's more about the driver's skills than anything. I don't think 20 hp will cause big different on the strip either, not as auto vs manual kind of difference either. We'll see. For normal road it won't matter for sure, there's plenty of power. So only bragging rights probably šŸ˜
Are Cup 2s better than Trofeos? I have never owned a set of Trofeos before. I also have doubts the S650 is the same weight as the S550. New interior tech isn't light.

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Are Cup 2s better than Trofeos?
Probably similar, remains to be seen. Looks like Mustang will be going all for Pirellis, probably because of cost reasons, they are not very praised by people compared to Michelins. One could say Cup2s are a track benchmark and PS4S street benchmark.

Reactions: Ace

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Velocity Blue Mach 1
What I've read thus far, performance-wise, they are effectively the same car.

Hands-on reviews would begin in the Spring?

At least in the first year or two, I consider the Mach 1 to be the better buy.

Pricing for the DH will be greater, with the possibility of an ADM. Once production settles down, and the interest softens, things might return to an experience bordering on normal. IDK. The possibility of the last, only ICE muscle car might keep things inflated.

IMO, the S550 has better quality overall, especially in '21 and '22. The S650 will have its own quirks and issues, still undiscovered; it will take a year or two of owner experiences to bring those to light.
I think the interest is pretty soft now according to this site compared to this time of S550 release. Also the economy is in a different place. Thatā€™s why linking them was a good move to generate activity.

Rate_of_Twist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Toyota 4Runner TRD PRO, 22 Triumph Speed Twin
I think the interest is pretty soft now according to this site compared to this time of S550 release. Also the economy is in a different place. Thatā€™s why linking them was a good move to generate activity.
You think interest is soft? Not challenging your point, asking a question. I was told by one dealer that I was 60th on a list for a DH when their allocation is 5.

Based off percentages I donā€™t see getting a GT / PP / MagneRide either.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
E85 tuned Mach 1 = Faster than non-tunable Dark Horse.
Also better looking cars are faster! šŸ˜

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
of course they will be tuneable.
they already cracked the F150s gen 4 coyote.
It sure looks like a lot more computerized technology on the S650, I wouldn't be too sure.
Ford even has the ability to turn off cars features if you don't pay your car payment now...saw this on the news today.
Sponsored