• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Dark Horse vs Mach 1

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Dark Horse
I am curious to see if the Dark Horse HP can beat the Mach 1 HP track times, such as in the Lightning lap. Sure it gained 20 horsepower, but likely weighs more due to new tech and steel fenders. The biggest difference is the Trofeo tires are typically less aggressive than the Cup 2 tires. What are everyone's thoughts?
Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
It will be a spirited debate, like between a GT350 and a Mach 1. At least what we know now, I don't think we'll see a significant change in performance or track times. IMO, a great driver in either car could make up for any real or perceived differences.

At a previous C&C event, a gentleman with an S197 GT500 was asking me about my car. HP, times, etc. He was attempting to determine where he sat in the pecking order. He didn't seem to be enjoying himself. I had a cool car. He had a cool car. I feel the moment was lost on him.

Last edited:

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 HP Prior: 20 SS 1LE, 17 GT350
It'll be slightly faster, without a doubt. I'd wager less than 10% of people in the entire forum could drive these cars well enough to be worried about a 1s track time difference. This is a great photo that gives some perspective on track times.... it is what you make it.

S650 Mustang Dark Horse vs Mach 1 1665147133347

Last edited:

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang BULLITT
Wasn't the specs listed online already? the GT didn't gain much if any weight. I don't see why the DH wouldn't be the same way. I suspect the upgraded brakes will be the biggest upgrade for it. On top of the 20HP, and tweaks to springs/bars etc.

OP
OP
Dub347sbf

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Dark Horse
Wasn't the specs listed online already? the GT didn't gain much if any weight. I don't see why the DH wouldn't be the same way. I suspect the upgraded brakes will be the biggest upgrade for it. On top of the 20HP, and tweaks to springs/bars etc.
They listed it in the first release, the newest specs removed the curb weight. I don't know what to think about that.

OP
OP
Dub347sbf

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Dark Horse
It'll be slightly faster, without a doubt. I'd wager less than 10% of people in the entire forum could drive these cars well enough to be worried about a 1s track time difference. This is a great photo that gives some perspective on track times.... it is what you make it.

1665147133347.jpeg
This is the list I like to use. The Mighty Mach 1 is top of the LL2 class with the handling pack. I am curious to see where the DH ends up on here with what may be lesser tires in the Trofeo vs the Cup 2s.
Lightning Laps
S650 Mustang Dark Horse vs Mach 1 Screenshot_20221007-124624_Chrome

guzie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT350
I am amazed at the Mach 1 beating the GT350R. I have owned 2 GT350s, both non R and they were a blast on track. The R was just not available when I was shopping. I sold my last GT350 this summer for the equity to pay down our condo quicker. We are down to one Mustang currently which is my wife’s 2022 Mach 1. She has the mach 1 elite package but it doesnt have the handling pack. We plan on adding that rear wing and front splitter next spring. She won’t track hers though. I’m already planning on grabbing a dark horse for my next track beast.

Decible

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT PP1
This is the list I like to use. The Mighty Mach 1 is top of the LL2 class with the handling pack. I am curious to see where the DH ends up on here with what may be lesser tires in the Trofeo vs the Cup 2s.
Lightning Laps
Screenshot_20221007-124624_Chrome.jpg
Jerez that list shows how much of a value the corvette GS was. I think the msrp on that car was like 66k 🤦🏼‍♂️

Decible

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT PP1
They listed it in the first release, the newest specs removed the curb weight. I don't know what to think about that.
I don’t think the DH is going to weigh that much more if any than the Mach. I expect them both to the in the 3900’s

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 Stingray
Jerez that list shows how much of a value the corvette GS was. I think the msrp on that car was like 66k 🤦🏼‍♂️
I think it's much more impressive that the C8 Z51 is so close since it ran on Pilot 4S and Bremo brakes, compared to the C7 GS with Ceramic brakes, Cup 2s and all the suspension tuning. Price as tested was $92k of the C7 GS in 2016. If you can get a Z51 for MSRP, it's the best performance you get for the money. Add Cup2s and better brakes you will outperform the C7 GS easily.

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 HP Prior: 20 SS 1LE, 17 GT350
Just to update y'all on this topic. You can now get a pretty much fully loaded used M1 HP for mid-low 50s. I've got several 2021s and a couple 2022s saved. One example is a 2021 M1 HP, M6, leather recaros, 8K miles, $52K from carmax. The M1 price will only go down between now and the time any dark horses arrive.

The dark horse will be faster. It will be marginal. I'm I think in the minority and prefer the dark horse to any mustang outside of a GT350 right now.

I'm very interested in pricing, but it's really looking like a M1 HP can potentially be had for $15K less than a DH HP. Yes, it's 2-3MY newer, but all that gets you is 2-3 more years of warranty, which is kinda a non-issue on a low miles 5.0.

I've said from the start that a DH purchase would not be the best bang for buck in performance but sheesh, a $15K spread from it's very close predecessor is wild.

Thoughts?

93-Oct Mayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
While I do think the DH is TECHNICALLY the new version of the M1, I think the 2024 GT PP is going to marginally outperform the Mach 1 and is therefore a more reasonable value comparison

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
I'm pretty sure they won't release a car that produce slower times than the predecessor. It won't be a big upgrade, but an upgrade.
ask the s550 about its predecessor that had the 5.0 if ford would release a slower car.

I expect exactly the same times if any additional gain it will be from tires or they get the right driver.
Sponsored