• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Dark Horse vs Mach 1

OP
OP
Dub347sbf

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Dark Horse
ask the s550 about its predecessor that had the 5.0 if ford would release a slower car.

I expect exactly the same times if any additional gain it will be from tires or they get the right driver.
The s550 was very marginally slower in the quarter, but much better on a road course. I doubt the s650 will be a step back in either.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Dub347sbf

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Dark Horse
marginally slower is still slower.
Slower in the quarter. Faster on the road course. Have to qualify that. The IRS was the big change, and it did its job.
Again, i doubt the s650 is slower in either metric than the s550. But we will see.

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
Slower in the quarter. Faster on the road course. Have to qualify that. The IRS was the big change, and it did its job.
Again, i doubt the s650 is slower in either metric than the s550. But we will see.
It did it's job but it was slower.Majority of people are seeing 0-60 times as a metric. That's a sales number but most people don't even care about road coarse numbers. The absolutely only way it will be faster is if they give it more aggressive gearing. It's the same engine, the same for the most part chassis. It's really the same car just a little heavier with less torque but more HP. (Dual intake, forged rods just add weight). But sure let's see what happens

OP
OP
Dub347sbf

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Dark Horse
It did it's job but it was slower.Majority of people are seeing 0-60 times as a metric. That's a sales number but most people don't even care about road coarse numbers. The absolutely only way it will be faster is if they give it more aggressive gearing. It's the same engine, the same for the most part chassis. It's really the same car just a little heavier with less torque but more HP. (Dual intake, forged rods just add weight). But sure let's see what happens
This buyer cares about road course numbers over 0-60 times. So do a bunch of Mach 1 buyers.

f00man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
The DH should outperform both the Mach 1 HP and GT350/R (usually the case for newer models). Is it worth the price difference, coupled with the new car amenities? Remains to be seen.

I vastly prefer the interior/exterior design of the S550. Now the Dark Horse S/R is very intriguing.

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
This buyer cares about road course numbers over 0-60 times. So do a bunch of Mach 1 buyers.
im not arguing you specifically I am saying the majority. im a huge track driver. But we are not the majority of sales figures. Most buyers won't even get a dark horse or a GT they will sale more ecoboosts. If most Mach 1 drivers realllllyy cared about track driving there would be more handling packs sold. But there isn't. Most road courses are imports, and some variant of chevys (corvettes, 1les) with a mustang thrown in here and there (at least in my years of multiple road coarses)

Rate_of_Twist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Toyota 4Runner TRD PRO, 22 Triumph Speed Twin
Personally, if I could find a M1 with the handling package I would do that over waiting for the DH.

I’m sure the DH will be awesome, but competing with the whole world to get one sounds like no fun to me

Last edited:

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Velocity Blue Mach 1
im not arguing you specifically I am saying the majority. im a huge track driver. But we are not the majority of sales figures. Most buyers won't even get a dark horse or a GT they will sale more ecoboosts. If most Mach 1 drivers realllllyy cared about track driving there would be more handling packs sold. But there isn't. Most road courses are imports, and some variant of chevys (corvettes, 1les) with a mustang thrown in here and there (at least in my years of multiple road coarses)
You don’t need the HP to run track driving. It’s more competitive, but there’s plenty of PP GT’s that track all the time and do it quite well. When it isn’t enough, a quick wheel tire change out is really simple or just do the bolt on HP parts. It’s not a big deal. People on here change out tires, wheels and springs like underwear…..hopefully. :wink:
HP is more like a bolt on swap kit on an M1. That’s one of the reasons it’s so :sunglasses:

Last edited:

Darkness24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang Gt Ordered 2024 Dark Horse Premium
Jim Owens the Ford product manager today at All Ford Nationals said the DH outperforms the Mach 1 on the track. He did not elaborate at all but that is what he told the audience today.

Tones GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
MY $ is on the Mach 1 HP. So far the DH has been disappointing in every aspect.

OP
OP
Dub347sbf

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Dark Horse
MY $ is on the Mach 1 HP. So far the DH has been disappointing in every aspect.
We will see. Many reviewers saying the DH feels faster around a track. Higher grip on the skid pad. Faster times in the quarter by the same magazine tested, granted they were on different days.

ThreePedalPlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 Mustang GT Vert , 2024 Mustang GT Vert
I'm curious if anyone knows why say a Camaro 1LE has a faster 1/4 mile than the GT or Dark Horse but then the Coyote runs it down and blows it away after the 1/4 mile is over somehow even if you have a basic GT. Is it just the way a Coyote performs so well at high RPM or are Coyote powered cars requiring an extra shift in the 1/4 mile or something?

2019 Camaro 1LE:
S650 Mustang Dark Horse vs Mach 1 1693955735776

2019 Mustang GT PP2:
S650 Mustang Dark Horse vs Mach 1 1693956202924

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 HP Prior: 20 SS 1LE, 17 GT350
I'm curious if anyone knows why say a Camaro 1LE has a faster 1/4 mile than the GT or Dark Horse but then the Coyote runs it down and blows it away after the 1/4 mile is over somehow even if you have a basic GT. Is it just the way a Coyote performs so well at high RPM or are Coyote powered cars requiring an extra shift in the 1/4 mile or something?

2019 Camaro 1LE:
1693955735776.png

2019 Mustang GT PP2:
1693956202924.png
Mostly just the difference in power delivery of the 5.0 and the 6.2.

6.2 has 30ftlbs more torque than the GT PP2, but only 10 less HP. The 5.0 revs out higher.

Curb weight of the 1LE is 3700lbs. The PP2 was about 150lbs heavier. DH heavier than that.
Sponsored