• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Wonder why Ford didn't develop all-new Mustang?

6String

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang GT
Ford Projects $3 Billion Loss on EV Segment This Year (msn.com)

The S650 may be a significant refresh of the Mustang, but it isn't an all-new vehicle. Whether or not that is disappointing depends on a subjective viewpoint. A few years ago, the plans may have been to introduce a new Mustang, but I suspect budget concerns limited what the development team was able to deliver. The amount of money Ford is ploughing into EV development is huge. It remains to be seen if it pays off.
Sponsored

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
My money is on black - epic fail of the EV division outside of commercial run-about vans which will be the only thing keeping it afloat. And not just Ford.

2 years of world-wide recession if not depression will severely crimp consumer EV delivery - all those Lighting orders in the queue will disappear. Lithium will get cheaper, sure. Ford-E and Audi's division will be both spun off into a combined entity (arms-length joint venture?) so the colossal losses don't sink the parent companies who finally shed the Greenie blinders and resume full-rate ICE. With novel fuels perhaps.

The S650 barely rates a model designation IMO - should just be S555 or S560

Last edited:

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I do wonder what a CD6 derived Mustang would have been like. Many people feared it would have meant huge proportions as CD6 underpins the Explorer and Aviator twins, but it was suggested by Ford that the architecture was agile enough that Mustang wouldn't have been burdened with those issues. Could it have been lighter and smaller than S650? I guess we'll never know.

It does seem crazy, and a great shame, that a dedicated RWD architecture only ever saw duty for two large SUVs.

Given Camaro is about to die and Challenger is morphing into a full EV pony car, I'm just glad we still get a traditional V8 pony car for another generation.

Grabber_GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See Signature
Given Camaro is about to die and Challenger is morphing into a full EV pony car, I'm just glad we still get a traditional V8 pony car for another generation.
The Challenger is dying too after '23. The Charger will live on as some EV thing...

MustangMac67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F250
My money is on black - epic fail of the EV division outside of commercial run-about vans which will be the only thing keeping it afloat. And not just Ford.

2 years of world-wide recession if not depression will severely crimp consumer EV delivery - all those Lighting orders in the queue will disappear. Lithium will get cheaper, sure. Ford-E and Audi's division will be both spun off into a combined entity (arms-length joint venture?) so the colossal losses don't sink the parent companies who finally shed the Greenie blinders and resume full-rate ICE. With novel fuels perhaps.

We do not know the chassis changes. All ford states is "a modified chassis." Modified could go many ways. The SN95 was a modified or heavily tweaked Fox chassis. Yes, yes, a new chassis would have been nice, but what it comes down to is money. With governments and politicians pushing for EV's, ford needs to please them and keep up with the Jones if they do not want to fall behind. An EV transition is expensive, so if they want to be successful when the time comes, they need to spend a lot of money to the front lines, not to a (do not kill me) "dying segment."

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
We do not know the chassis changes. All ford states is "a modified chassis." Modified could go many ways. The SN95 was a modified or heavily tweaked Fox chassis. Yes, yes, a new chassis would have been nice, but what it comes down to is money. With governments and politicians pushing for EV's, ford needs to please them and keep up with the Jones if they do not want to fall behind. An EV transition is expensive, so if they want to be successful when the time comes, they need to spend a lot of money to the front lines, not to a (do not kill me) "dying segment."
I think they have already fallen behind compared to some other makers, but the direction of travel is very clear. Ford are a global brand and the US is lagging behind in many ways compared to Europe and China where the EV market is booming. Ford make and sell more EV's in China than anywhere else in the world and they even make specific models only in China / Europe. 100k cars is a serious niche now for a global player and certainly not one worth spending money on a new platform.

As you say it is a dying segment (I used the term legacy :wink: ).

The main problem is everybody wants SUV's - no accounting for taste!

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS

If your money is on black I'm on red. :giggle: :like:

https://www.autoweek.com/news/green...k_StateOfCharge_DailyDrive_Newsletter_Sending

Maybe but at least we got something. Which is better than what Chevy and Dodge fans are getting.

f00man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
The typical American vehicle is a dying breed. The Camaro and Mopars in their classic American forms are gone. The Mustang was able to last longer due to the Fully Networked Vehicle platform (allows for remote monitoring and control). We'll see how long it lasts.

The S550 was the last true, American mustang to be made. 🇺🇲

MustangMac67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F250
The typical American vehicle is a dying breed. The Camaro and Mopars in their classic American forms are gone. The Mustang was able to last longer due to the Fully Networked Vehicle platform (allows for remote monitoring and control). We'll see how long it lasts.

The S550 was the last true, American mustang to be made. 🇺🇲
Why not the s650?

f00man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Why not the s650?
The S650 is a Fully Networked Vehicle. Google to find out what that really means. Ford can remotely access your Mustang and disable it acordingly. The S550 has the TCU module on the left side of the trunk, that can monitor the Mustang and it's activities. However, you can remove the appropriate fuses and physically disable the TCU module. A Fully Network Vehicle is much different. It's part of the 15-Minute City Plan, to restrict mobility. This is all public information, and un-American as can be.