• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Why doesn't Ford make the rotary transmission found in the Shelby GT 500 available to all Mustangs?

Mustang_Qi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Why doesn't Ford make the rotary transmission found in the Shelby GT 500 available to all Mustangs?
S650 Mustang Why doesn't Ford make the rotary transmission found in the Shelby GT 500 available to all Mustangs? 1135BF0B-4F48-47C3-8FD5-12099276C166
Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang BULLITT
I'd say costs, but even the Ford Fusion had a dial. So... no clue.

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
my explorer has a dial and i bet it uses the same auto.
they could do it easily but probably figure most auto owners want to feel like they're cool kids with a stick :D

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer ST, 2001 Avalon
I'm not sure if you're asking why not put the DCT in all mustangs or why not have a dial gear selector rather than a standard shifter...

DCT - definitely cost

Dial gear selector - I think they should put these in all auto mustangs. There is really no reason to have an auto shifter that resembles a manual trans gear stick. It's just in the way. The dial makes more sense to me and takes up less space. I love the one in my wife's explorer.

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 SCAT Pack Charger
Because the GT500 has a DTC transmission. You use the steering wheel paddles for manual shifts and select AUTO mode for a simulated auto trans. The shift stick allows you to old school shift. I think really it's just to make the DCT feel more like a supercar.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang BULLITT
Because the GT500 has a DTC transmission. You use the steering wheel paddles for manual shifts and select AUTO mode for a simulated auto trans. The shift stick allows you to old school shift. I think really it's just to make the DCT feel more like a supercar.
As super car as a Ford Fusion and Explorer. lol

Podsadka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang EcoBoost
Most automatic Fords (Fusion, Escape, Maverick, BroncoSport, Explorer, Expedition) have a rotary dial selector even with traditional torque-converter automatic…

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,1965 Sunbeam Tiger (Stolen, Elk Heart Lake)
I will never buy a car with a rotary gear selector.

Takeshi

Threads
Reaction score
United States : Cali land of the $1 Gas Tax
Vehicle(s)
2019 Liquid Shadow 401A PP1 MagneRide Borla ATAK
With an engineering perspective there is one logical reason. The design and space to ACCOMMODATE both manual and automatic transmission offered. In the GT500; the DCT is the only transmission, in which you do not have to plan for a bigger space to allow 6 Manual Gears of shifting space. The bigger Shift Lever design is to allows the spacing required for all the manual gear fanatics to row through all 6 gears of their sweet MT82 or Glorious Tremec.

1135BF0B-4F48-47C3-8FD5-12099276C166.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP

Mustang_Qi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I think it makes very little sense to adjust the transmission via the paddles behind the steering wheel. I am an automatic transmission user and I have never used the paddles behind the steering wheel since I bought my Mustang. I think people who really enjoy driving will just buy a manual transmission

Patio208

GT350 Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500 #L2287
I think it makes very little sense to adjust the transmission via the paddles behind the steering wheel. I am an automatic transmission user and I have never used the paddles behind the steering wheel since I bought my Mustang. I think people who really enjoy driving will just buy a manual transmission
To each their own. And I'm not trying to sound elitist. But have you ever driven a GT 500? If not, trust me it leaves nothing to be desired. The DCT is not a standard auto trans. Think of it as an automated manual. Full disclosure every prior Mustang I've owned had manual transmissions.

spedy7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Mustang coupe, 2023 GT
I've always thought this too, especially after the 2018 refresh. It's just a cleaner look that makes sense with the rest of Ford's lineup. I can see why they probably didn't though - packaging. The Explorer and Fusion (and I think everything else aside from the DCT in the GT500) use a physical module to actuate the cable, and also the need for a backup park release if the battery dies (Explorer, F150 too I think). The Mustang doesn't really have the packaging space for that in my eyes.

Just use the DCT instead! I'm certain there's a service surplus currently :p. That'll really boost interest in the next gen lol.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 GT 500 PP, Past'13 GT500,98 GT,'92 LX 5.0 5spd
Yo
You must not have the 10spd? It's trackable and the paddle shifters offer instant shifting and are great fun on the street too.

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
You must not have the 10spd? It's trackable and the paddle shifters offer instant shifting and are great fun on the street too.
This. Paddle shifters are great for some custom rpm modulation fun, when you want it.
Sponsored