• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 & 2010 Honda Fit Sport
According to the specs, the 5.0L now measures as a 307 cubic inch V8 not as a 302 cubic inch engine V8. I had that 307 V8 in my new 1971 Camaro.
Just having similar displacement means nothing. My old '71 Mustang with the 302 can't compare with a 2016 Mustang 302 which would leave the '71 in the dust. Just like the way that same 2016 GT would leave the '69 Z28 behind. Back in the day a friend who had a '69 Z28 kept bugging me to race him with my '71 Mustang 302-2V with 3-speed C4 automatic. He kept saying "302 vs. 302". Funny but after I had modified the engine with cam, intake, carb, distributor, headers, duals, traction bars, 3.50 gears (stock was 2.73) all of a sudden he went radio silent. My friends began to bug him saying "302 vs. 302" and he kept making excuses about needing a tune, plugs, etc., etc. Of course, he still had a higher compression engine with forged crank and rods while my engine still had cast rods and crank. I guess he felt if he only barely won, it would be bad but if he lost, it would be totally embarrassing.
Sponsored

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Point of interest, the Mustang was a 5.0L while the Camaro SS is a 6.2L. As former Pro Stock guy Bob Glidden once said, "you can't beat cubes".
Mustang also has dual overhead cams with VVT.

Typically the 10r80 GT has been faster than the Camaro or the scat pack charger. Thats why I am saying it is weird the mustang was slower. Once you start modding the Camaro (at-least N/A) you can easily make more hp than the mustang can make mod for mod.

Mustang406

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10
Mustang also has dual overhead cams with VVT.

Typically the 10r80 GT has been faster than the Camaro or the scat pack charger. Thats why I am saying it is weird the mustang was slower. Once you start modding the Camaro (at-least N/A) you can easily make more hp than the mustang can make mod for mod.
I'm not sure that's true. I own a Camaro SS and it does not take mods as well as my Mustang does. Maybe it's only me but with 2 valves and one cam the 6.2L isn't great with mods in my experience.

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I'm not sure that's true. I own a Camaro SS and it does not take mods as well as my Mustang does. Maybe it's only me but with 2 valves and one cam the 6.2L isn't great with mods in my experience.
Maybe it’s only all out N/A cars that I see do better than mustangs. I looked up some stuff and it looks like mod for mod until you start doing head work, the Camaro is right with the mustang or a little behind.

Vertex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Have a question. Why isn't Ford using a DCT like what's in the current GT500? My last 4 cars had some version of a DCT. IMO, for me, it's the only way to go. Not a big fan of the current 10 spd auto I have in my '22 GT, especially that unbelievably jarring 1-2 shift. Thankfully, when in Sport paddle shift mode, I can start off in 2nd!
I know a lot of people were having harsh shifting problems and found out the trans fluid was a bit low. After having my Mach 1 for awhile I experienced a few occurrences of extremely harsh 4-5 shifts like it jolted the car and also had a weird clunk when it was downshifting from 7-6 rolling. I had mentioned I read how many had low trans fluid from the factory so I had them check it and it ended up being 1 qt low. After getting that corrected it shifts way smoother in sport+ and track and have not had a single harsh shift since.

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Dark Horse
I noticed something interesting. If you take the curb weight of an auto GT with 480hp and curb weight of a auto Dark Horse with 500hp, the GT has a better power to weight ratio it seems. 3913/500 vs 3752/480.

Goodwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grabber Blue/Black Mustang GT Premium
I know a lot of people were having harsh shifting problems and found out the trans fluid was a bit low. After having my Mach 1 for awhile I experienced a few occurrences of extremely harsh 4-5 shifts like it jolted the car and also had a weird clunk when it was downshifting from 7-6 rolling. I had mentioned I read how many had low trans fluid from the factory so I had them check it and it ended up being 1 qt low. After getting that corrected it shifts way smoother in sport+ and track and have not had a single harsh shift since.
Thanks! I'll have it checked.

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 & 2010 Honda Fit Sport
I had a chance to drive a friend's 2014 Ferrari 458 Spider that has a Getrag DCT. For some reason (whatever mode he had it set to) it would not upshift unless I used the paddles. But, when I come to a stop, it would be in 1st gear. Really strange that an "automatic" wouldn't upshift automatically; I don't think it was in manual mode but I think he had it in "sport" mode, whatever that did. At first I wondered if all DCT was like that, but I don't think the GT500 would be that way. People buy autos because most of the time they prefer not having to shift up or down, but having the ability to manually control shifts is always a welcome thing.

Vertex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I had a chance to drive a friend's 2014 Ferrari 458 Spider that has a Getrag DCT. For some reason (whatever mode he had it set to) it would not upshift unless I used the paddles. But, when I come to a stop, it would be in 1st gear. Really strange that an "automatic" wouldn't upshift automatically; I don't think it was in manual mode but I think he had it in "sport" mode, whatever that did. At first I wondered if all DCT was like that, but I don't think the GT500 would be that way. People buy autos because most of the time they prefer not having to shift up or down, but having the ability to manually control shifts is always a welcome thing.
I can't comment as I've never driven a GT500, however, in my car when I have the shifter in sport mode (not sport+ mode as this can be applied to any drive modes ie. sport+/track/drag/normal etc) if you use the paddles ONE time it will stay in paddle mode and will not shift up or down unless you hold the upshift paddle for roughly 3-4 seconds before returning to normal auto shifting.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I noticed something interesting. If you take the curb weight of an auto GT with 480hp and curb weight of a auto Dark Horse with 500hp, the GT has a better power to weight ratio it seems. 3913/500 vs 3752/480.
Not really surprising, it has alot of things the GT doesn't. All those coolers, bigger brakes, wider wheels/tires add weight.

The fastest car in a straight line will always be a barebones base model GT with 0 options. No big screens, no coolers, no heated/cooled leather seats etc.

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Dark Horse
Not really surprising, it has alot of things the GT doesn't. All those coolers, bigger brakes, wider wheels/tires add weight.

The fastest car in a straight line will always be a barebones base model GT with 0 options. No big screens, no coolers, no heated/cooled leather seats etc.
Is a bare bones GT faster than a Mach 1 in a straight line now? I guess I just never realized that. Kind of disappointing.

xSouthSyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic GT
A DCT transmission in manual mode will not upshift unless you hit the paddle, but it will downshift if your speed drops too slow enough and you are in too high a gear. Nothing unusual there. In Auto mode it will drive like any other Auto even though it’s technically an automated manual transmission.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Is a bare bones GT faster than a Mach 1 in a straight line now? I guess I just never realized that. Kind of disappointing.
I mean if you consider maybe half a carlength to be "faster". Wouldn't really be disappointed by that kind of difference given the other benefits it has over the base GT.

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
on 9/22/22, Ford updated that PDF
what changed: Getrag MT-82 listed as the manual trans for the GT, manual trans specs removed for the Ecoboost, added "Construction" text to the "Chassis/Suspension" section, removed "Handling Package" part of the stabilizer bar section, added rear brake specs, re-worded "ABS/stability control" section, removed the performance pack wheels from the Dark Horse under "Optional Wheels", removed all estimated curb weights, moved "Interior Dimensions" to page 3, added "custom" to the list of selectable drive modes under "Technology", re-worded the list of track apps

link to the updated PDF: https://media.ford.com/content/dam/.../14/2024-mustang-technical-specifications.pdf

most of the changes were things that were probably copy-pasted from the S550 spec sheet. one thing i find interesting is the Dark Horse 10R80 gear ratios are slightly different, makes me wonder if that was intentional or someone just rounded them. Ford themselves also mentioned carbon fiber wheels for the Dark Horse, but they're not listed under it's optional wheels.
Sponsored