• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang BULLITT
He stated there was some bending events that prompted them to use the stronger rods. His interview is in the article i linked in the engines section here Dark Horse Engine Differences
It makes me wonder if he just means "stronger than the 24 GT" and that the GT's were downgrade from the 18-23 GT rods.
Sponsored

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Dark Horse
It makes me wonder if he just means "stronger than the 24 GT" and that the GT's were downgrade from the 18-23 GT rods.
Seems like the rods are made like the GT500. This is from the article.
Literally, the only difference at the end of the day is we ported over the forged connecting rods from the Predator engine.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang BULLITT
Seems like the rods are made like the GT500. This is from the article.
Seems odd then, I don't recall anyone bending a rod recently no matter the mods.

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Dark Horse
Seems odd then, I don't recall anyone bending a rod recently no matter the mods.
Again, from the article. Worth a read.
Despite the modest increase in power for Dark Horse, achieving more than 100 horsepower per liter in naturally aspirated form is an impressive feat, but achieved with far fewer modifications than past performance variants. It will be the most potent non-boosted Mustang powerplant to date, but to pass Ford’s durability tests, engineers needed more strength. It turned out that the company’s measurement tools sensed some “bending moments” in the standard, powdered-metal rods when the engine was run at full tilt.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
Bespoke or not, if the DH is faster around the track than a GT350, people WILL trade the GT350 in on a DH as it will be the "new hotness" even if it doesn't sound as nice. People will see the (possible)fact its faster, with a more reliable engine as reason enough to justify the few K more.
Maybe the reliability part, but I don’t think speed matters at all… purchased my GT350 strictly because of the driving experience, not because of the speed. A base GT with a 10-speed would keep up or beat it in a straight, and it’s not like we’re wringing these out at a track outside of a handful of days a year.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang BULLITT
Maybe the reliability part, but I don’t think speed matters at all… purchased my GT350 strictly because of the driving experience, not because of the speed. A base GT with a 10-speed would keep up or beat it in a straight, and it’s not like we’re wringing these out at a track outside of a handful of days a year.
Obviously, it depends on your priorities. I'd easily take a GT350 over the Darkhorse no mater what its track times are.

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Dark Horse
But why exactly?
I know personally, the specialness of a Shelby plus the bespoke flat plane crank 5.2 making over 525 horsepower is really really enticing.

Now, after seeing numbers on a handling pack mach 1, i am sure the Dark Horse will beat a GT350 at some tracks, but that doesnt make the GT350 any less appealing.

I have the choice, and could spend the money now on a GT350, but am waiting for the DH because I really love the way it looks, I want a coyote motor(reliability), and well, I just like the whole package. If MSRP is too high, ill consider a mach 1 HP or a GT350.

Last edited:

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 HP Prior: 20 SS 1LE, 17 GT350
I loved my 350, don’t get me wrong. I wouldn’t consider one if:
-it’s a gen 1 voodoo
-it’s outside of FACTORY powertrain (even a gen II)
If I had infinite monies I’d have my 350 back with a backup bulletproofed gen II voodoo sitting in storage.

Obviously, it depends on your priorities. I'd easily take a GT350 over the Darkhorse no mater what its track times are.

Last edited:

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
But why exactly?
Perfect package aside from reliability. Makes boom boom noises and revs to the next continent. Like what zstanny said, they’re just unreliable as hell. Only drawback.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang BULLITT

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang Vert w/pony package
I noticed the rear stabilizer bar on the convertible performance package is smaller in diameter than the base coupe. Why is that?

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer ST, 2001 Avalon
I noticed the rear stabilizer bar on the convertible performance package is smaller in diameter than the base coupe. Why is that?
Different weight distributions would be my guess.
Or Ford is trying to make the convertible more understeer prone.

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
So what does front legroom “sae” mean? Comparing to s550 specs this is saying we lots a few inches legroom
Sponsored