• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Carzzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Rapid Red 401A PP1 A10 Magneride
I'm curious whether the trunk opening will be any taller than the current model's miserly mail-slot. The downward detent of the trunklid gives me hope.
Sponsored

Crayon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Ecoboost "Maggie"
I'm curious whether the trunk opening will be any taller than the current model's miserly mail-slot. The downward detent of the trunklid gives me hope.
Good question. I heard the actual opening was changed from S550. And, slightly larger.

Marty1000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SOLD: 2016 Mustang V6
I disagree. There may be some who fall into this statement, but the vast remainder that mention Mustang resemblance? Well, the vast majority (including myself) did not go into S650 wanting, hoping or looking for Camaro resemblance. They just saw it, plain and simple. Plenty on this thread, and plenty on this forum overall.

I was on MT and C&D and Cscoops, and guess what I saw in all those comment sections? More Camaro comparisons. Do we we think everyone just wants to see Camaro in the new Mustang? I doubt it highly. And again, this is not to say everyone should see Camaro. Styling and thoughts on it are subjective. I, for one, am not telling you that you must see Camaro - you see what you see. And others see what they see - and what do plenty see? Camaro, which they just point out as matter of opinion. There's something to be said about general consensus, which means many, not "all" - and enough people see a Camaro resemblance in certain views, elements etc., it is what it is. Is it bad? Is it good?

I actually am ok with the Camaro in certain trims, I don't hate it like some do. But the "failure" of Camaro has a lot more to do with than just the styling. The Camaro was perfect case study where with GM, in many performance metrics, they objectively built a better platform and sportscar for the segment and many equivalent Mustang trims - but they didn't build a better car, which most can argue, the Mustang was a better car, a better package, even if it couldn't best the GM Alpha platform capabilities. Throw in some outward sighline and visibility challenges (played out to mention at this point) and, at least in Canada, pricing and positioning of Camaro trims levels to equivalent Mustang - Mustang always came out with a better value. Add in the intangible quality of the "Mustang" name, the "it" factor of the Mustang as a brand (which Ford themselves tapped into for Mach E, but that is a totally different discussion, right or wrong), which Camaro also ultimately never had to the same level, the story of why Camaro was never more popular than Mustang, goes way beyond the design of the car.
I agree with you on the "CASE STUDY". Back in 2010 I pre-ordered a 2011 -2Le camaro and when it arrived at the dealer and I took a test drive, loved the 6 speed (japan made manual gear box), the V6 engine and the outside sleek look, but hated the poor vision out of the car and the impossible to use the rear window -zero-view for parking. After I finished the test drive I realized that the car is not usable as a daily driver, cancelled the order and purchased a 2011 Mustang GT. BTW-I still like the outside look of the Camaro, but the Mustang is much safer and easier to drive plus usable as a daily driver in all seasons of the year.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I heard tremec in DH, is that a no tremec in GT?
Will the GT have the Tremec now? Presser last night wasn't quite clear. They mentioned Tremec for the Dark Horse, but "Tremec" was noticeably absent when mentioning "6-speed manual" for the GT.
GT keeps the MT82. Dark Horse gets the Tremec
Actually GT gets MT88. Not sure of what’s different MT82 vs MT88. I hope that it is length of throw and engagement detent feel.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
So I was standing next to the Dark Horse with a coworker who owns an S550 convertible. We were looking across at the GT convertible on the stand. Unsolicited, he says to me “actually the rear quarter looks closer to your car than mine”. Miscellaneous guy next to him chimes in “I kept telling them it looked like a Camaro”. Turns out this guy works at a supplier for parts on Coyote.

I would say that the most obvious difference is the Mustang has a much longer rear overhang. The rear tire is much further forward, leaving a shorter distance from driver to tire.

S650 Mustang ⚠️ LEAKED S650 Mustang Images & Rumored Specs!! [New Shots & Engine Image Added] E5832720-4F4F-4DEC-B346-36C6D27569A5
S650 Mustang ⚠️ LEAKED S650 Mustang Images & Rumored Specs!! [New Shots & Engine Image Added] 4B1BFEF5-5B7A-4C7D-9990-A9333D9B6111

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
So I was standing next to the Dark Horse with a coworker who owns an S550 convertible. We were looking across at the GT convertible on the stand. Unsolicited, he says to me “actually the rear quarter looks closer to your car than mine”. Miscellaneous guy next to him chimes in “I kept telling them it looked like a Camaro”. Turns out this guy works at a supplier for parts on Coyote.

I would say that the most obvious difference is the Mustang has a much longer rear overhang. The rear tire is much further forward, leaving a shorter distance from driver to tire.
How no one snap a photo from below the cars is beyond me.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 Stingray
People are overreacting to the rear end way too hard. They bascially just pulled the diffusor up to the horizontal line of the license plate frame and smoothed out the panel next to it.
S650 Mustang ⚠️ LEAKED S650 Mustang Images & Rumored Specs!! [New Shots & Engine Image Added] 1663315825097

S650 Mustang ⚠️ LEAKED S650 Mustang Images & Rumored Specs!! [New Shots & Engine Image Added] 1663315650932

The second slight change is the outer edge of the rearpanel, that was always there, is now pulled into the lights and the trunk panel too instead of having the lights and panel stand out to create a softer line between upper trunk lip and bumper. If the rear lights would stand out like on the Gen 6 most people wouldn't see any difference imho

S650 Mustang ⚠️ LEAKED S650 Mustang Images & Rumored Specs!! [New Shots & Engine Image Added] 1663316027134

S650 Mustang ⚠️ LEAKED S650 Mustang Images & Rumored Specs!! [New Shots & Engine Image Added] 1663316045355

Here's a very bad and quick Paint attempt how it would look like with bigger rear lights
S650 Mustang ⚠️ LEAKED S650 Mustang Images & Rumored Specs!! [New Shots & Engine Image Added] 1663316586878

Last edited:

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stuff With Wheels
I just realized that there's a stylized horseshoe around the perimeter of the Dark Horse badge. I thought it was cheesy before....

What's next, a King Ranch edition?

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
problem is the 3" worth of flat-black cladding in ADDITION to the diffuser. With their stupid ZigZag styling job they boxed themselves into a corner because the exhaust would stick WAY out otherwise if they carried the angle to it's terminus. So they had to bodge it like all the other cheap-rent SUVs out there with acres of black plastic. When did it become fashionable to copy Subaru of all people?

Since they didn't change the underpinnings they had to have the awkward 3 inches extension below the trailing edge of the lights, too.

They should have done something like this, and used a body-color bulge like the S550 to gain back a little bit of overhang. Plus pushing the exhaust tips to slightly (1/2" or so) protruding isn't such a bad look either...

For a "new" (ha! what a farce) Mustang they should have taken at least 3" out of the rear overhang period but that would mean making structural changes, new stampings and can't have that. This was a super low-budget restyle at best. It's a damn shame they decided to chase a #metoo fad !! 5 YEARS !! too late when others are moving past it and also failing to learn from others' screwups. So typical.

S650 Mustang ⚠️ LEAKED S650 Mustang Images & Rumored Specs!! [New Shots & Engine Image Added] 1663316045355

At least with Mustamaro styling they might pick up the GM orphans.

JWS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 WW-50th LE Auto-0745-Grandé
It does make it easier for Ford to Mount the Reverse/Backup Sensors in the Diffuser than the Painted Bumper Cover. Don't have to Paint the Sensors, which could affect Sound Transmission and Reception and don't have to Match a Dozen Different Colors. Also, easier Installation and Removal and Wire Harness Routing. Don't have to put so much Effort and Complexity into Bumper Cover Painting and Installation.

JWS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 WW-50th LE Auto-0745-Grandé
S650 Mustang ⚠️ LEAKED S650 Mustang Images & Rumored Specs!! [New Shots & Engine Image Added] 1663337847294

Still Looks More Like A Mule To Me. Not The Best Angle Of The Horse.

On The Other Hand, This One Is On The Jackass End. But Shouldn't We Be Seeing The Other End Of The Horse Here?

A Pony Tail?

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
A Pony Tail?
maybe borderline silly but I'll upvote that. I've never thought of debaging a car, but this one is getting cut off before it even leaves the dealer lot - not that I would buy this family of Mustang... This whole styling exercise just reeks of kids doing their first project without adult supervision, esp. without the needed "no, you moron you suck" level of feedback, lest they be accused of fostering a "hostile" workplace and where all ideas are "equal".

No offence to the rest of you but I hope it's such a unmitigated sales disaster Ford cleans house and finds religion.
Sponsored