• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 Stingray
GM Orders Stop Sale on C8 Corvette Over Brake-by-Wire Sensor Issue

That was back in 2020. So it's not exactly a 'benign' design change. What is the failure mode when a fiddly-ass sensor goes on the fritz? Will a driver recognize the condition and adapt in time?

this is yet again engineers playing "god" and lying to the driver as to what is actually going on with the brake system - ie. it's boiling. But here too it's by guess and by golly since GM was too damn cheap to use an ACTUAL temperature sensor in the logic tree.
So what's the differnce to when you get an hydraulic failure on a classic brake setup?
Sponsored

jgilkey

Threads
Reaction score
Website
locusautomotive.com
Vehicle(s)
Ordered: 2021 Mach 1
So what's the differnce to when you get an hydraulic failure on a classic brake setup?
Hydraulic systems are split front/rear in case of failures. At least then there is some braking. I’m guessing the electric system in the C8 has a similar setup, or it wouldn’t have received DOT approval.

spectremotorsports

Consultant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Emma" 17 GT/PP Grabber Blue/Black roof
I sometimes wonder how much progress could be made if every single innovation or change wasn't met with inevitable "That's not the way we've always done it, so I hate it" mentality that seems ever so common....

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Hydraulic systems are split front/rear in case of failures. At least then there is some braking. I’m guessing the electric system in the C8 has a similar setup, or it wouldn’t have received DOT approval.
As far as I’m aware, the brake by wire systems still use hydraulic pressure in lines that run from the master cylinder to the calipers in the same way it’s always been done. The difference is that the command from the pedal is electrical instead of mechanical, and the master cylinder / brake module has a “pump” to apply pressure to the lines, eliminating the vacuum booster. I also believe there is a backup / failsafe mechanical connection from the pedal to the master cylinder. Correct me if I’m wrong.

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
yes the mechanical pedal-to-piston interface still exists. What they've done is LIE to the user about braking force being correlated to pedal force. Ie no more long pedal and soft pedal. The computer compensates with it's hydraulic rams to take the variability out.

All because some fk-tard in marketing rolled out of bed in a cold sweat thinking that drivers were having panic attacks when their pedal feel would have variability to correlate to the underlying system.

oo Hi Fi oo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Of course. But it’s another layer of complexity and also having to rely on the switch over to the back-up system I don’t like.

With mechanical (and most other) systems, simplicity usually = reliability.
You realize a hydraulic system relies on fluid pushing through tubes and a leak or air entering the system could make them inoperable?

I carry a chain and anchor to toss out the window just in case.

spectremotorsports

Consultant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Emma" 17 GT/PP Grabber Blue/Black roof
You realize a hydrolic system relies on fluid pushing through tubes and a leak or air entering the system could make them inoperable?

I carry a chain and anchor to toss out the window just in case.
Honestly cars in general are way too complicated, I ride a horse everywhere. I don't need some idiot in marketing to try to sell me a lifeless machine that doesn't even respond well to voice commands like my trusty steed. Plus my horse carries my butter churn way better than any car could.

oo Hi Fi oo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Honestly cars in general are way too complicated, I ride a horse everywhere. I don't need some idiot in marketing to try to sell me a lifeless machine that doesn't even respond well to voice commands like my trusty steed. Plus my horse carries my butter churn way better than any car could.
Honestly I think I'm just going to stay home on the couch from now on. I can drive cars on my phone.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Dang.

the interior looks like a massive downgrade. Was hoping for something sleek and modern. Instead this was taken out of a 1980’s RV concept.

saw the exterior too. Cannot express how sad I am right now. S660 was an opportunity to reinvent the mustang: ditch retro and embrace the forward looking spirit of the mustang - options galore, handle like a supercar and accelerate like a hyper car and look ridiculously great doing it.
Instead, we get blocky, untilitarian grocery getter styling that makes the Mach E look more like a sports car than the actual Mustang.
This looks like a grandma car. Not the cool car that kids can’t wait to grow up s as me buy. This sucks. Hope they change it.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
First off we have known for quite some time that the S650 was not going to be evolutionary. What you are asking for could be the S750 but who knows as that's a long way off. Secondly you are making assumptions based on camouflaged spy photos. We really do not know what the finished car is going to look like, inside or out. How about waiting to see the actual car before going all doom and gloom on us.

And lastly....
embrace the forward looking spirit of the mustang - options galore, handle like a supercar and accelerate like a hyper car and look ridiculously great doing it.
Good luck with that. I'm guessing you want all of the at 3000 lbs. and $40,000. :crackup::like:

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Dang.

the interior looks like a massive downgrade. Was hoping for something sleek and modern. Instead this was taken out of a 1980’s RV concept.

saw the exterior too. Cannot express how sad I am right now. S660 was an opportunity to reinvent the mustang: ditch retro and embrace the forward looking spirit of the mustang - options galore, handle like a supercar and accelerate like a hyper car and look ridiculously great doing it.
Instead, we get blocky, untilitarian grocery getter styling that makes the Mach E look more like a sports car than the actual Mustang.
This looks like a grandma car. Not the cool car that kids can’t wait to grow up s as me buy. This sucks. Hope they change it.
Personally, I love what we can see this far. Nice upgrades, looks different enough, and refrains for relying on tired design trends like oversized grills. We haven't even seen the side or the rear yet. Based on what insiders have said, it seems like the front end looks a lot like the s550, and the rest of the design looks noticably different.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
First off we have known for quite some time that the S650 was not going to be evolutionary. What you are asking for could be the S750 but who knows as that's a long way off. Secondly you are making assumptions based on camouflaged spy photos. We really do not know what the finished car is going to look like, inside or out. How about waiting to see the actual car before going all doom and gloom on us.

And lastly....

Good luck with that. I'm guessing you want all of the at 3000 lbs. and $40,000. :crackup::like:
Exactly, it looks good from the leaks we've seen so far, and in terms of performance, there's only so much you can do when you have to engineer something to be relatively affordable. If the stock s650 doesn't perform as well as people want, there's nothing that will stop them from adding aftermarket suspension kits or forced induction.

dethmaShine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 328i '09
Man... THAT interior is fugly.

Sorry - but it's like Ford is trying to integrate a Bronco/F150 interior into the Mustang.

THAT is just horrid.

Everything is too damn boxy, the steering wheel is ugly as sin, the display pushed up into the dash and above the... rectangular vents - no thanks. Everything is angular and square? No thanks.

Ford fouled up this one - welcome back Mustang II, history repeats itself.
Goes with the exterior leaks so far as well. Overall S550 buy is looking pretty damn good.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Personally, I love what we can see this far. Nice upgrades, looks different enough, and refrains for relying on tired design trends like oversized grills. We haven't even seen the side or the rear yet. Based on what insiders have said, it seems like the front end looks a lot like the s550, and the rest of the design looks noticably different.
interesting. Well, I’m glad somebody likes it. We will have to agree to disagree. I’m curious what you like about it to call it “upgrades.” It seems a downgrade from a design and aesthetic standpoint. Also curious what you mean by refraining from oversized grilled. The grille onthis looks larger than the current s550. From what we’ve seen so far, it looks like an s550 facelift more so than an s650. Like an s555 or something. Hopefully the rest of the car fares better. At least the front fascia appears to have less overhang. That’s a plus. Really hoping this is is adesign candidate and not the final direction.
Sponsored