• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Why did you get an Automatic over a 6 Speed?

RebelMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Bullitt
i'm with you 100%, the whole manual vs auto debate is kinda lame, but when the manual or auto elitists get involved, it's just downright idiotic
I think it depends on what is being debated. The automatic isn't being threatened with extinction. If you're a manual enthusiast, you want to have the choice. However, if the choice is going to be taken away, people are going to be vocal about it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Rapid_RedGT

Rapid_RedGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT
Young guys opinion here. I have an auto 10r80 and without a doubt they are an absolute beast. Anyone that says that stock for stock manuals can be faster than an auto depending on the driver doesnā€™t know what theyā€™re talking about. However, that being said I sometimes wish I wouldā€™ve gotten a 6 speed. Iā€™ve driven manual and the feeling and fun will never compare to an auto car at least on the street. Thereā€™s something so engaging and fun about banging gears that flicking a paddle will never do. Yes itā€™s slower, yes itā€™s annoying to drive in traffic with it but at the end of the day that driver to car connection wont be the same in an automatic. Also itā€™s only a matter of time before they go extinct, a v8 with a 6 speed manual trans is so rare now lol.

at the end it all comes down to preference and what you want to get out of the car. If you want that enthusiastic driver race car feel 6 speed, if you want comfort and speed auto.

ps. If the GT wouldā€™ve came with a tremec I would def have gotten that. the mt82 on these new s650 are a bit better than previous gen but still not a good trans. If at some point in the future I trade in for a Dark horse I will def get a 6 speed.
Well, since this is for me...lol, I will say I do know what I'm talking about. You said it best, you are young. This post CLEARLY is offensive to people with an auto, wasn't mean to be that way for sure.

OP
OP
Rapid_RedGT

Rapid_RedGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT
i'm with you 100%, the whole manual vs auto debate is kinda lame, but when the manual or auto elitists get involved, it's just downright idiotic
I didn't post this as a battle, it's just a question. lol, but it seems people with automatics took offense...wasn't the reason for the post.

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
I didn't post this as a battle, it's just a question. lol, but it seems people with automatics took offense...wasn't the reason for the post.
i didnt mean about your original post, i was just making a comment on something someone else said. your post doesnt sound like it's trying to start a battle at all

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
My first "modern" Mustang was a 1982 GT with the 4 speed SROD, not a ton of power but it always seemed to be faster than the speedometer displayed, mostly due to shifting when I choose, not when the transmission decides to. It was a real adrenaline rush. Every Mustang I have owned since has been a manual and I never get tired of rowing the gears even at 61yo.
That was my 82 as well. At 156 horsepower, the 302 wasn't much of an engine but the car was under 3000 pounds and had torque that wouldn't quit and it kicked in fast. Shortly after I got the car, a guy who though he had a hot car pulled up alongside of me and wanted to race. The light change and he was in my rear view mirror until I reached the speed limit and backed off. When we hit the next stoplight you could see the surprise on his face. Of course, it didn't hurt that the gears were pretty steep and I was in first gear almost until I hit the speed limit.

OP
OP
Rapid_RedGT

Rapid_RedGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT
i didnt mean about your original post, i was just making a comment on something someone else said. your post doesnt sound like it's trying to start a battle at all
Cool cool...I was gonna say..CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG? šŸ˜‚

kneeko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 S650 GT
Well, since this is for me...lol, I will say I do know what I'm talking about. You said it best, you are young. This post CLEARLY is offensive to people with an auto, wasn't mean to be that way for sure.
I think you misunderstood what i said. iā€™m agreeing with you thatā€™s the manual is more fun and i would rather have a manual over my 10r80, thereā€™s nothing like the manual feel. However the mustangs 10r80 will outperform any mt82 or tremec transmission and itā€™s not even close doesnā€™t matter whoā€™s driving. My post wasnā€™t meant to offend you or anyone idk why you got so mad šŸ˜‚. both transmissions have there ups and down

OP
OP
Rapid_RedGT

Rapid_RedGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT
I think you misunderstood what i said. iā€™m agreeing with you thatā€™s the manual is more fun and i would rather have a manual over my 10r80, thereā€™s nothing like the manual feel. However the mustangs 10r80 will outperform any mt82 or tremec transmission and itā€™s not even close doesnā€™t matter whoā€™s driving. My post wasnā€™t meant to offend you or anyone idk why you got so mad šŸ˜‚. both transmissions have there ups and down
No worries, the internet is like that sometimes...reading and not hearing a real voice. Mistakes happen, but it's probably my old age.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
I would never do that, 10 speed Ford autos have issues. Dodged that bullet at all costs.
53K miles on my current '21 10-speed. Zero issues.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ

MichaelKael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maggie, beautiful Ā“15 Cyclone Mustang 51A Magnetic
Iā€™m in Canada, but being born and raised in France, Iā€™ve owned/driven manuals only before moving here 10 yrs ago.
Iā€™ve had a Mustang, 2 Jeeps, and a Subaru WRX that were manual since Iā€™ve moved here, everything else was automatic..
To me, auto has always felt like driving those ā€œbumper carsā€ at the fair, with an on/off pedal kinda feeling.
Iā€™ve always found driving a manual more fun, engaging, and connecting you more to the car, so with the current world switching to EVs and manual only, decided I HAD to buy my last chance to a Manual, V8, piece of American muscle history (owned a 2015 V6 Mustang for 3 years, and noted nothing wrong with the ā€œinfamousā€ MT82).
Also to me ā€œracing autosā€ removes completely the driver part out of the equation, and makes the car and mods the only deciding factors.

BUT Iā€™m glad that everyone is still able to get what they want, and get a chance to enjoy their Mustang, no matter what transmission they pick, or the reason behind their decision.

At the end of the day, weā€™re buying those for ourselves and donā€™t owe anyone the slight justification šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø.
Whoever will be paying for my car will get to choose the transmission itā€™s coming with, but until thenā€¦. šŸ˜‰

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
Bum ankle, torn in Kuwait. Working the clutch is torture.
I'm sorry to hear that.

A big fear of mine is losing the ability to drive a manual due to a disability.

Fractured my left humerus on new year's and have had to operate mine with a single arm, but that's not hard at all to do. Had I broken my right arm or lost operation of a leg, I'd be stuck in an auto...

And I wouldn't handle that reality well at all.

Hope you get a chance at recovery. Regardless, thank you for your service.

JPGC_S650

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 2022 HD Road King Special
This debate only exist in countries like the USA where the majority drives automatic.

In Europe nobody cares. Automatic in Europe was a status symbol for rich people or expensive vehicles. But it all changed a decade ago when automatic transmissions were available in almost all vehicles.
Yep, Iā€™ve been to various European and Asian countries and manuals were very common and the most prevalentā€¦at least back in the early 2000s. Havenā€™t been out of the Continental US in over a decade, lol, other than the Bahamas.
Sponsored