• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Which 7G Mustang To Buy?

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
> you are going to be disappointed in a GT since that's what you were giving up to begin with.

I'm giving it up primarily because it's old and has problems. AC has gone out three times (in Florida that's terrible), I'm creeping up on clutch replacement time, the roof paint clearcoat has oxidized and is flaking (in Florida the sun is rough on paint), and there are a bunch of other lesser issues. Not because I don't like the car.

I still enjoy driving it. The coyote motor's sound is sublime. My 9 year old son loves riding in it - I bought the car when my wife was pregnant with him, so that's a fun little bit of trivia. He's grown up with it and honestly, he'd probably be mad if I didn't buy another Mustang (lol). It's slow at the track these days (and it always kind of was - I should have sprung for the PP with the better suspension setup, etc. but I was keeping the cost down), but it's still fun to drive. Most fun I ever had driving.

If and when I do trade it in, I know I'll miss her. She's slow but she was the first real fun car I could afford.
But now you’re buying for him.
Sponsored

OP
OP
15wile

15wile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
> But now you’re buying for him.

It's a factor I think about. Would be lying if I said I didn't. We used to go to the shows and such all the time when he was little, so there's a nice nostalgia there.

I guess I need to test drive all the options back to back. Only test drove the M2 so far. Not the C8 or the DH.

Something I love about the DH, btw, is that Blue Ember color. I don't know if I've seen a paint color I liked more than that basically ever. I wish it was available on the lower trims as an option. Rough scaling up to $70k just for the color, lol.

Klipshpoke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse HP
> But now you’re buying for him.

It's a factor I think about. Would be lying if I said I didn't. We used to go to the shows and such all the time when he was little, so there's a nice nostalgia there.

I guess I need to test drive all the options back to back. Only test drove the M2 so far. Not the C8 or the DH.

Something I love about the DH, btw, is that Blue Ember color. I don't know if I've seen a paint color I liked more than that basically ever. I wish it was available on the lower trims as an option. Rough scaling up to $70k just for the color, lol.
A DH is completely different car than your 15GT. I made it about a block in a test drive and knew I wasn't going back.

OP
OP
15wile

15wile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
A DH is completely different car than your 15GT. I made it about a block in a test drive and knew I wasn't going back.
That's really good to know. A Blue Ember one with auto showed up about 20 miles from me. I will give that a try and see.

Rocket Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker, 2024 GT (soon)
With discounts up to 15% on higher end Mustangs, and continuing thru summer as the 24's come to an end, a 401A with MR and active exhaust (and PP obviously) is about 61K. If you can get that you have everything for about 52-54k +ttl. How can you beat that? Can't get an M2 or C8 anywhere near that price point.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
That's really good to know. A Blue Ember one with auto showed up about 20 miles from me. I will give that a try and see.
"Buy the Dark Horse."
"Buy the Dark Horse."
"Buy the Dark Horse."
"Buy the Dark Horse."
"Buy the Dark Horse."

Radiant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Ecoboost Convertible (ordered), '18 Ecoboost
I'd better define what you're goals are and continue to let the gears grind while getting more feedback.
Agreed.

If and when I do trade it in, I know I'll miss her. She's slow but she was the first real fun car I could afford.
My suggestion would be another GT with an automatic, magneride and active valve exhaust. That'll wind up being a GT Premium with Performance Package as that's required to option Magneride.

GripTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse, 2006 Mustang GT
There are 66 blue Mustangs on autotrader with automatic transmission. Vapor, Ember, *& Grabber. I would contact them all and make an offer. If you don't get your price, look at GT Premium. Shipping will be 1K to 2k depending on how far you are away. Factor that into your negotiations.

horned-toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi S5
Try to find one with the performance pack.
save your money. The PP1 suspension is laughable. For less money you can put PROPER suspension (Bilstein or FP Track dampers) and 6-pot brakes on the car, and the other bits are trivially sourced and bolted on for a fraction of the asking. If you want anything approaching decent handling you'll be doing all the same fixes to the IRS that the S550 needed. Ford refuses to admit their mistakes.

I wonder if the diff bolts are still 14mm riding in a 16mm hole. I suspect Ford Stupid (tm) continues apace.

Also consider using the 'PP1' option money for proper wheels (9.5" or wider) and tires.

If you haven't lived with the A10, go rent one for a week and drive the p*ss out of it. And see if you can live with it. Otherwise you're looking at a $300-500 tune to FIX its behavior.

horned-toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi S5
Where's the value sweet spot configuration with these cars
buying it for 10-15% off MSRP.

The price hike for 'premium' content, is a giant ripoff. If you want good seat covering, Katzkin or similar. If you want GOOD audio, get the 9-speaker system (301A) if you must, and then throw away all the speakers and get good ones. Might as well toss the amp too. And cut the wire to the center speaker. And use ForScan to fix the EQ etc. Add sound deadening material here and there.

Back in 2015 the PP1 package was a veritable steal. No longer the case. Ford got GREEEEEEEEDY.

Frankly if a DH is on the radar, just buy a Mach 1 for a relative song.

Last edited:

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
I chose a Premium 401a with AE and auto. My reasoning is I will never track the car. I like the twisty curves and spirited driving though but most of my driving is around town and trips up to the mountains. I enjoy the creature comforts / gadgets and from my line of thinking I can always replace wheels, tires, suspension and so forth should I want a tighter car but installing the creature comfort stuff while not impossible, is very expensive. I didn't go for the Magna-ride because it seemed complex and expensive to replace struts/shocks on. Everyone is different and that is the beauty of these cars as you can make it your own... FWIW I LOVE my car and it puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. Make sure you get the AE unless you are planning an aftermarket exhaust, as it's my fave part of the car.

Karguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger 6.4 Widebody 6 speed
Only reason to buy the DH are the additional oil coolers and the Tremec...IMHO Since you go auto since the wife cant drive a stick I would save the money and get a GT as performance ond feel on the street will be the same but you save $$$ or check also into some of the last Challenger WBs that are still lingering around for $55-60 K that have a excellent ZF/auto that you cant say about the Ford/GM A10 as also you have more room/comfort/trunk and not that moody Infotainment system...

RaceRedder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse HP
Regarding the depreciation angle, I can only speak to my own perspective. Value of my car: $0. I know when the time comes I'm going to sell it for something, but I never calculated or considered what it might be worth within a certain timeframe.

Buying any car with the idea it might be worth so much in the future: that just doesn't work for me. And there are a whole mess of intangibles which have been priceless with my car. Sell it for close to nothing? Fine. It's been a blast. Well worth the price of admission.
You are the first person I have ever came across who said exact the same words as how I feel when I buy something I really want.

It's like buying a TV that you really want. You pay what it's worth and thats it.
If the worth drops to 10 Dollars, that's also fine. I'm not buying a car as a investment. I'm buying a car to enjoy.

The thought that I have to calculate the worth every mile that I drive it and calculate when it's the best time to sell it so I will not lose all my "investment" is too much stress in the head. I want to live free.

Sofa King

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ecoboost, Vapor Blue, HPP
You are the first person I have ever came across who said exact the same words as how I feel when I buy something I really want.

It's like buying a TV that you really want. You pay what it's worth and thats it.
If the worth drops to 10 Dollars, that's also fine. I'm not buying a car as a investment. I'm buying a car to enjoy.

The thought that I have to calculate the worth every mile that I drive it and calculate when it's the best time to sell it so I will not lose all my "investment" is too much stress in the head. I want to live free.
I had nearly the same thought as you reading @Skye 's post. While I have made money on a few cars... it is certainly not in the plan when I buy one I really want. Daily drivers are more of a "tool" or appliance (much like your analogy) and fair weather cars are "toys". I know I will get something out of it when I get something else, but the thought of that never crosses my mind until I go to sell it or trade it in. I have done pretty well on trade ins lately... my cars are kept in great shape and I really "deal" on the trade in after the deal is done on the new car.

The Ghost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT Premium Fastback
If it were me, I’d probably say “Well, I’ve had a GT… this time I’m going for the Dark Horse.”

But that’s me. And if you’re not going with the manual, which is the biggest reason to get the DH IMO so that you can get the Tremec, a better option for you might be a GT that you spec out to your heart’s desire. Premium, 401A, Performance Pack, MagneRide, Brembos, etc.

Blue Ember is beautiful but I don’t know that any color is worth that much extra money if that’s the motivating factor.
Sponsored