• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

What will it take to save the V8 Mustang?

Petter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit (2022), Mustang Mach-E (2021)
The Mach-E is not a Mustang, it’s not supposed to be. The name was used to extend the brand into other vehicle types
Not accurate, I think, when it comes to what Ford has said (Bill Ford, David Pericak, Darren Palmer ...). The Mach-E is a Mustang that adds another horse to the stable of Mustangs. So the Mustang brand is extended with a Mustang which has a different powertrain.
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Not accurate, I think, when it comes to what Ford has said (Bill Ford, David Pericak, Darren Palmer ...). The Mach-E is a Mustang that adds another horse to the stable of Mustangs. So the Mustang brand is extended with a Mustang which has a different powertrain.
Don’t believe everything you read/hear. It’s all marketing speak. Ford only has two names worth anything. F150 & Mustang. Well the “F” is only for trucks so what else did they have for EV’s? Well, Mustang. They decided take a model and make it a brand. Much like Ram. So now we have two Ford divisions each with its own Mustang. The naming worked as the Mach-E is a huge success. It got peop,e into the showrooms as it was designed to do. But, that said, everyone knows the Mach-E never was, nor will be a Mustang.

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
Ford only has two names worth anything
Taurus set the world on fire. Taurus EV or Taurus something would have been a perfect name for the Mach-E. The Maverick name could have been used too before they assigned it to what should have been called the Ranger.

When the executive suggest dragging Mustang thru the mud the marketing department should have spat in his face and thrown him out of the room. Not kissed his stupid ass.

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
I plan to buy a new 7G Mustang. If all of you buy one, it will continue to be produced.

It's that simple.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 GT
I plan to buy a new 7G Mustang. If all of you buy one, it will continue to be produced.

It's that simple.
Yea kind of how like dodge can`t even meet demand for there Hellcat powered muscle cars. Yet they said they are moving all electric in a few years.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 GT
Anyone can promise anything in a few years. I never believe them.
Yea I definitely think you will not see a new hellcat for sale by 2025. Due to government regulations, nothing with demand.

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
I've never owned a Dodge (Stellantis) and never will. These cars are Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) and the French PSA Group. The company is headquartered in Amsterdam. This is not an American car.

It is a foreign car which any profits go back to Europe.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

It's that simple.
If Ford produces something I like and that I think is quite a bit better than my current Mustang, I might buy (depending on price).

I want the Mustang to be good/competitive. Not just a Mustang in name. Ford needs to work hard to earn our dollars, not take for granted that they are going to get sales while coasting down into EV dystopia.

I like Ford and I'd actually even prefer to buy a Ford over any other brand (even after the Mach E debacle I have to admit I still feel that way). But I have to be realistic about what my loyalty gets me - bupkis.

I kind of feel like we are repeating the 1970s right now. I'm not going to be the guy that sells my Hemi Challenger and buys a new Mustang II.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Don’t believe everything you read/hear. It’s all marketing speak. Ford only has two names worth anything. F150 & Mustang. Well the “F” is only for trucks so what else did they have for EV’s? Well, Mustang. They decided take a model and make it a brand. Much like Ram. So now we have two Ford divisions each with its own Mustang. The naming worked as the Mach-E is a huge success. It got peop,e into the showrooms as it was designed to do. But, that said, everyone knows the Mach-E never was, nor will be a Mustang.
I think Bronco is a good nameplate as well. And really the Explorer has a solid reputation. They maybe aren't exciting to us, but still good nameplates in my opinion.

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
Taurus set the world on fire. Taurus EV or Taurus something would have been a perfect name for the Mach-E. The Maverick name could have been used too before they assigned it to what should have been called the Ranger.

When the executive suggest dragging Mustang thru the mud the marketing department should have spat in his face and thrown him out of the room. Not kissed his stupid ass.
Those of us who tend to frequent sites like this have a very unique perspective on this. But if you step back and look at this through a wide angle lens, it is actually quite genius. Ford is positioning itself to leverage the iconic Mustang brand to capture where most see the market heading. I can't argue with their logic.

But this approach has always been the case. When Mustangs were first introduced, they were marketed as sporty car for an up and coming younger generation, not as a pure performance platform. The best estimate is that of the 607,568 Mustangs produced in 1966 (the peak Mustang production year) only about 2,500 were equipped with the vaunted K code high performance V8, the vast majority were 200cid straight 6 or the anemic 2bbl 289cid V8. These cars were not screaming high performance muscle cars.

Even though people like you an me are not ever likely to buy an EV Mustang, we just aren't the market Ford is after, nor are we the market Ford needs to succeed.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
We just test drove the Ford Lightning Pro…

…ALL internal combustion engines are dead… After the test drive, I am suddenly less concerned about V8’s in general.

Sorry, it’s just better.

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
Please tell that to my wife. Her next vehicle will most likely be a Mach-E. :giggle::crazy:
and where on the spectrum of factors leading to "I want" is the Mustang brand/name tacked onto the front? Let me guess, ZERO. If Ford had launched it as the Taurus-E, or Tourus-Rex, or Taurus Jolt, or Taurus Scalded Cat, Taurus Charge I'm thinking she'd want it just as eagerly.

I have zero beef with the vehicle itself at least in the abstract. The problem with Marketing is that they believe their own bullsh*t and think the rest of the world does too. Nyet! Marketing is right there with lawyers as to where they belong - at the bottom of the ocean.

Last edited:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
We just test drove the Ford Lightning Pro…

…ALL internal combustion engines are dead… After the test drive, I am suddenly less concerned about V8’s in general.

Sorry, it’s just better.
Doesn’t matter. It not whether its better. It’s all about burning fossil fuels. I’ve driven a handful of EV’s. As short/mid range transportation devices they do an admirable job. A couple were even fun. But at the end of the day I never got that visceral experience a get every time I start my GT/CS.
Sponsored